IBM’s Watson Supercomputer Set to Take On Jeopardy Champs

Disclaimer

Playing a two-game series over three days... Monday-today-Wednesday.

Yesterday was round 1 + background on Watson

Today I assume they'll do double and final Jeopardy + more background finishing game 1

and tomorrow I'd think they'd just do a regular game, straight through w/o explaining Watson.

Even though it is not connected to the internet are people still inputting the correct questions to the previous answers? If so then how is this thing so special, it still needs human input to actively compete? This may have been addressed since the Nova program but I don’t get in front of a TV that time of day so I don’t know if it’s been answered.

Even though it is not connected to the internet are people still inputting the correct questions to the previous answers? If so then how is this thing so special, it still needs human input to actively compete? This may have been addressed since the Nova program but I don’t get in front of a TV that time of day so I don’t know if it’s been answered.

Nope. The only human input is the question itself, which it receives as a text file.

So how is it learning from correct questions in categories that aren't intuitive to a computer? I thought someone had to give it the prior questions for it to learn appropriate responses and saw that as its biggest flaw which would take mucho more capacity to overcome.

http://www.ibm.com/ibm100/us/en/icons/watson/

http://www-03.ibm.com/innovation/us/watson/

http://www.watson.ibm.com

http://blogs.forbes.com/bruceupbin/2011/02/14/ibms-watson-computer-will-win/

http://blogs.forbes.com/bruceupbin/2010/12/14/ibm-to-ken-jennings-you-will-beg-for-mercy/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1c7s7-3fXI

This is one of the greatest leaps forward in computing technology. I'm stoked. You haters are all Buzz Killingtons.

Now I'm further unimpressed - I thought it was listening! How do they time that to make it fair?

You know the contestants get it in words also, right? Trebek reading it is just for the audience in the studio and us at home. So the contestants and Watson get the question in the same format at the same time.

You know the contestants get it in words also, right? Trebek reading it is just for the audience in the studio and us at home. So the contestants and Watson get the question in the same format at the same time.

I hadn't considered that when I wrote that reply, but still, they say the computer takes three seconds to come up with whatever decision it is going to make, it seems a human would spend almost that much time accepting the "input." It seemed like the guy on the left eventually started just trying to beat the computer on the buzzer whether he knew the answer or not.

Anyhow, not really bashing, just not surprised that a computer wins at this sort of game.

I am utterly disappointed in the people that aren't impressed by this. I really feel that if you aren't impressed, you aren't quite grasping what's being accomplished here.

Think of the age an english-speaking human being has to be to even be able to comprehend the kind of advanced vernacular and wordplay used in a game like Jeopardy. That's all those years of using the language and learning the nuances every single day. This computer accomplishes the comprehension of all that advanced wordplay mathematically, using deep-rooted combinatorial algorithms.

The point of this exercise isn't looking up the information. That's not the impressive part. The impressive part is the real-time interpretation of extremely high-level language usages, and crafting a comprehensive and coherent response to a question requiring an answer that lots of people don't even understand.

• Upvote 2

This is one of the greatest leaps forward in computing technology. I'm stoked. You haters are all Buzz Killingtons.

:werd:

Jeez people, some of the best and brightest people on the planet have worked on this, tuned multiple algorithms, natural ENGLISH language processing and if all you see is "Google + Jeopardy" that's your problem, I guess.

Your motorcycles are just bicycles without pedals. Lame. :rolleyes: Big whooop wanna fight about it?

Edited by JRMMiii

I am utterly disappointed in the people that aren't impressed by this. I really feel that if you aren't impressed, you aren't quite grasping what's being accomplished here.

Think of the age an english-speaking human being has to be to even be able to comprehend the kind of advanced vernacular and wordplay used in a game like Jeopardy. That's all those years of using the language and learning the nuances every single day. This computer accomplishes the comprehension of all that advanced wordplay mathematically, using deep-rooted combinatorial algorithms.

The point of this exercise isn't looking up the information. That's not the impressive part. The impressive part is the real-time interpretation of extremely high-level language usages, and crafting a comprehensive and coherent response to a question requiring an answer that lots of people don't even understand.

Exactly.

I'll say it again, this is amazing. I'll be watching tonight and tomorrow.

Jarvismb hit it on the head. I'm not even a nerd like some of the people on here, but I think I grasp somewhat of what's going on enough to know that this is a hell of an accomplishment.

From Twitter: :D

"@AssholeMcDick: If I was facing Watson on #Jeopardy tonight I'd just unplug his smart Robot ass. Me: 1 Watson: 0"

"@jamesbickers: Hey #Watson, if you say "Suck it, Trebek," I will only buy IBM computing products for the rest of my life."

"@@wyshynski: I'm just watching #jeopardy until WATSON unmasks to reveal that it's actually been Sean Connery this entire time. #GotchaTrebek"

Yes, I'm that bored.

Fuckin nerds :nono:

Somewhat agree here.

Not interested, don't care, and world is just fine without anyone caring.

funny-pictures-care-o-meter-cat.jpg?1264632397