Kansas - now law for motorcycles to run red light

zx3vfr

my appologizes if it's already been posted

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02/23/kansas-house-approves-allowing-bikers-run-red-lights/?test=latestnews

this is a good thing and about time, hopefully it starts to gain some traction into other states.

Motorcycle riders testified this month that their bikes were often not big or heavy enough to trigger the sensors that cause red lights to switch. For fear that riders would have to choose between being stuck on the Kansas tundra or running a light and risking a ticket, they urged the legislature to approve the so-called "Dead Red" bill giving them a free pass. The riders testifying in support of the bill belonged to a group known as ABATE, or A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enactments.

• Upvote 1

I thought ABATE stood for American Bikers Aimed Toward Education... Either way, I hope this law spreadslike wildfire across the country.

Its a Fox News link, so it stands for whatever they want it to stand for as long as its got an anti-gov't / conservative tinge to it -- I think they could've done better.

Technically... it stands for both, but you see which one they decided to print -- jussayin'

http://www.ksabate8.org/Who_We_Are.php

Edited by JRMMiii

I was told by an ex-LEO teaching my MSF that if after a reasonable amount of time, if you have come to the conclusion that a sensor is not registering your bike, that you could proceed on the justification of a "malfunctioning traffic signal," being that the correct procedure for a "malfunctioning traffic signal" is to treat it as a four-way stop. Of course while reasonable amount of time is discretionary, I usually figure it out when the intersection has gone a whole cycle without giving me a green. If there is a car behind me I will usually try to inch up and get them to hit the sensor rather than look like "that guy" running the light.

I was also told to put my front wheel right on the corner of the cutout in the pavement and have rarely ever had this problem.

The above advice has actually been more useful in my truck than on my bike - I have had several occasions where stopping in the wrong spot on a snow-covered road has failed to activate a left-turn arrow where there is a separate left-turn light.

I was told by an ex-LEO teaching my MSF that if after a reasonable amount of time, if you have come to the conclusion that a sensor is not registering your bike, that you could proceed on the justification of a "malfunctioning traffic signal," being that the correct procedure for a "malfunctioning traffic signal" is to treat it as a four-way stop. Of course while reasonable amount of time is discretionary, I usually figure it out when the intersection has gone a whole cycle without giving me a green. If there is a car behind me I will usually try to inch up and get them to hit the sensor rather than look like "that guy" running the light.

I was also told to put my front wheel right on the corner of the cutout in the pavement and have rarely ever had this problem.

The above advice has actually been more useful in my truck than on my bike - I have had several occasions where stopping in the wrong spot on a snow-covered road has failed to activate a left-turn arrow where there is a separate left-turn light.

I always sit through 2 full cycles then run it on the third. One thing you need to keep on mind is that you know the light is malfunctioning but the cars with the green don’t. You are better off being inconvenienced and alive than justified and dead. The cars with the green light still has the right of way. Also, make sure to report the light to the city to get it fixed.

What about red light cameras?

shoot, walk it across in the cross walk... just sayin...

yeah, I've done that just to be a smart ass.

edit: btw, more importantly, a traffic light that is out, dark and no lights, should be treated as a four way stop.

Hardly anyone does, and I've seen some really nasty close calls by people ignoring such.

Edited by ReconRat

yup. last year someone posted that if you stop your bike on the cutout (instead of the dead center lane like i used to) it should register the bike and change. i've had a lot of success with this technique.

last time I tried to wave a car to get onto the trigger for me they looked at me like i was crazy/an idiot. After lots of waving they eventually got the trigger.

yup. last year someone posted that if you stop your bike on the cutout (instead of the dead center lane like i used to) it should register the bike and change. i've had a lot of success with this technique.

last time I tried to wave a car to get onto the trigger for me they looked at me like i was crazy/an idiot. After lots of waving they eventually got the trigger.

Both of these methods have worked for me.

My 250's not heavy enough to trigger the lights. :rolleyes:

What about red light cameras?

two things.

1. the cameras in columbus run on the same detection system as the signals. i.e. magnetic loop in the ground. if the traffic signal will not detect the bike, neither will the camera.

2. the cameras are also tied to speed. you have to be going near or over the speed limit to make them take a picture. if you come to a complete stop, then just roll through the red slowly, the camera will not go off. if you roll through at a low speed (10-15mph) without even stopping at all, they will not go off.

Edited by John