New DL650 or Used C14?

Scruit

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that. Everyone should ride what they like, but smaller bikes are plenty capable and reliable these days.

A one-up loaded DL650 at highway speeds will be just over half its GVWR and just over halfway to its redline. With regular maintenance, that engine will do that all day every day to 100,000 miles and beyond. Just ask the guy who has 200,000+ miles on his CBR600.

Heck, I rode a less capable and older BMW F650 single-cylinder bike across the southern U.S. and deep into Mexico, fully loaded on Texas interstates and bashing off topes in little towns in Mexico and on dirt roads in the rain, the whole experience. No sweat. Nothing gave me an issue except the chain wore out, probably due to the bad weather. And that bike had 40,000 miles on it when I started the trip. In Mexico, I was usually riding the biggest bike on the road. The "bigger is better" idea is generally an American concept that I find to be true only part of the time.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the 650 strom is actually a die hard bike. As for riding a 650 long distance, if I can ride a KLR to WV with half the ride being off road at 290lbs the wee would definitely take me across country. I know the Vee was a rolling couch on my trip to Yellowstone and Steam Boat. :)

I recently purchased a used 07 dl650 right before winter struck. I got it for about half the price of new, and 10k miles, with some accessories. I could not be happier, I'm 6'1" about 235 and it has plenty giddy-up. For the back roads and the twisties it is a riot. Its no sportbike, but it is comfortable and it never feels all that heavy/large but the bike is well proportioned for larger people. On the highway it just eats up the miles, sure the revs are up a bit, but it really is not noticeable unless you plan on cruising at 100+ all day, but that is not what the wee is about. I also got a chance to do a little off-roading with it, it dosen't do too bad! Go for the dl650 :)

I recently purchased a used 07 dl650 right before winter struck. I got it for about half the price of new, and 10k miles, with some accessories. I could not be happier, I'm 6'1" about 235 and it has plenty giddy-up. For the back roads and the twisties it is a riot. Its no sportbike, but it is comfortable and it never feels all that heavy/large but the bike is well proportioned for larger people. On the highway it just eats up the miles, sure the revs are up a bit, but it really is not noticeable unless you plan on cruising at 100+ all day, but that is not what the wee is about. I also got a chance to do a little off-roading with it, it dosen't do too bad! Go for the dl650 :)

Strom riders are taking over Ohio Riders.

Strom riders are taking over Ohio Riders.

That's because the stromtroopers are generally a bunch of asshats. I hate that site.

I am 6'4" tall, 250ish with gear, and I love my DL650. I have the Madstad / Givi combination as well. Your description of the type riding you want to do on it is exactly what I use it for. It's the best bike I've owned, and I've owned some good ones. I find I can hang on a twisty road with just about anyone on just about anything, until there is a long straight. It's definitely not a powerhouse, but it has enough. It's such a great all-around bike that I can forgive the lack of power. The light weight makes up for it in the twisties. Hang off, full on the throttle, scraping pegs through eastern Ohio twisties, and you'll be amazed (and comfortable). The lack of weight makes it a really fun bike.

That's because the stromtroopers are generally a bunch of asshats. I hate that site.

I am 6'4" tall, 250ish with gear, and I love my DL650. I have the Madstad / Givi combination as well. Your description of the type riding you want to do on it is exactly what I use it for. It's the best bike I've owned, and I've owned some good ones. I find I can hang on a twisty road with just about anyone on just about anything, until there is a long straight. It's definitely not a powerhouse, but it has enough. It's such a great all-around bike that I can forgive the lack of power. The light weight makes up for it in the twisties. Hang off, full on the throttle, scraping pegs through eastern Ohio twisties, and you'll be amazed (and comfortable). The lack of weight makes it a really fun bike.

Funny, that seems to be a general consensus. I'm not a fan of advrider either. Same issue.

Here only some of the track day guys are elitist pricks. :lol:

It's every site, you mix the young and restless with the old and conformed and tempers will fly. Most either seem to find a group in a corner to hang with or just develop a thick skin.

I have to admit I've never heard anyone call Strom troopers an elitist site.:eek: Most of them are just so laid back it's like their on valium. :lol: Unless of course you were butting heads with BTD (bad train driver) he's a trip online but one of the few guys I've meet at their tech days who's as crazy as me on his Vee.

Big B is the Central Ohio mod and a really nice guy. He balanced my throttle bodies for me and has some kick ass programs for the aftermarket Controllers so many people decide to get for their Vee's.

As for ADV, just avoid the basement (Jo Mama) and people are pretty cool, other than that Zack guy. :lol: Although his GF is a great mechanic. :)

It's every site, you mix the young and restless with the old and conformed and tempers will fly. Most either seem to find a group in a corner to hang with or just develop a thick skin.

I have to admit I've never heard anyone call Strom troopers an elitist site.:eek: Most of them are just so laid back it's like their on valium. :lol: Unless of course you were butting heads with BTD (bad train driver) he's a trip online but one of the few guys I've meet at their tech days who's as crazy as me on his Vee.

Big B is the Central Ohio mod and a really nice guy. He balanced my throttle bodies for me and has some kick ass programs for the aftermarket Controllers so many people decide to get for their Vee's.

As for ADV, just avoid the basement (Jo Mama) and people are pretty cool, other than that Zack guy. :lol: Although his GF is a great mechanic. :)

Everyone I've met from there has been awesome. But that's with all sites I guess. I'm a complete dick online sometimes, and well. I guess that's a bad example.

Everyone I've met from there has been awesome. But that's with all sites I guess. I'm a complete dick online sometimes, and well. I guess that's a bad example.

Shit Ben, I've seen mods that make you look like f'n Gandhi. :D

The wife and I have a 08 C14 and we love it, but it does have a few quirks. The things we have learnt to live with has been fixed with the 2010. We took ours to the cape, 825 miles from the house, and yes its easy to put 500 or little more on each day, and if speed is a thing you like we did 750 miles with stops on our first day, it took us 12 hours. From there we went to the dragon, had a blast. After you get used to the weight, its no big thang, but whatever bike you choose will be a good one. Thanx and have a good day.

Had em all the Wee is better than the Vee,weight and gas milage,price.Look for a used Wee farkled and save some money.

Really? Is the gas mileage that much different between the two? I'm getting around 40 MPG on the Vee. I thought that was awesome.

My ZX10 would get anywhere from 12-40MPG, depending how heavy on the throttle I was. LOL

Given the huge amount of farkles available for the Wee, many I'm sure you will convince yourself into needing, I would go with a used Weestrom.

All the reports I've seen seem to indicate a very good light touring bike and very reliable. Tons of options for luggage, windscreens, controls, electrical, and on and on. So you can set it up the way it works for you.

I'm not sure why people need a bigger bike to do miles. Even my Ninja 250 was sufficient to run on the freeway and the Wee has 2 and half times more power. And I'm no light weight and 6'2" 225.

I just picked up an `04 DL650 so I can't tell you how it performs for me but the reasons above were some of why I bought it.

Craig

I have a Vee, but if I didn't do a LOT of 2-up, I'd buy the Wee in a heartbeat. It's a better bike in a lot of ways, it's for sure got less issues and it more nimble and a better handler (stock). It makes good power, not great but certainly capable of adventure touring effortlessly (thousands of guys use them as such).

It's a better sipper, and cheaper to buy and own.

That said, the big Vee at high-revs? Fucking fun.

I have a Vee, but if I didn't do a LOT of 2-up, I'd buy the Wee in a heartbeat. It's a better bike in a lot of ways, it's for sure got less issues and it more nimble and a better handler (stock). It makes good power, not great but certainly capable of adventure touring effortlessly (thousands of guys use them as such).

It's a better sipper, and cheaper to buy and own.

That said, the big Vee at high-revs? Fucking fun.

Yeah. :D