Video Game Reviews

CoolWhip

Hey All,

I had an idea today (I know amazing right?) I thought it would be really cool since we have a lot of gamers on here if we could post reviews of games. Hopefully more substantial than "This game sux; full of noobzz and haxx" I am always curious what people think about games that are out. It also would probably be helpful for people considering buying the game. I will start us off with a review of the recent release "Homefront" which I reserved and picked up the day it came out. I hope you all like the idea.

Let me start this off by saying I was really looking forward to this game. The story is set in the United States after it has been occupied by the United Korean Republic due to the US' economic collapse and other factors. You join "The Resistance," a group of freedom fighters, and your character is a military pilot. Now onto the game play.

I was disappointed with the single player campaign. While it is fun, I expected the guerrilla warfare to be more stealth tactics and strategy (hit and run on supply depots, ambushing convoys, setting traps, freeing prisoners, etc), but instead it seems almost as if the main character is a super hero. Your character along with only a couple other people fight head on through hundreds and hundreds of Korean forces... It is just a little unrealistic. Especially in a situation where the group is unarmed and ambushed, and yet everyone manages to survive. The character models and detail also seem a little rushed. Plus, the timing of the game itself seems off. On multiple occasions when I was supposed to follow the team lead, I found myself standing next to him, waiting for him to recognize I was there, while he just stared straight ahead. Furthermore, almost every time your team comes to a door you cannot just open the door, instead you have to watch your teammates stack up on the door, then listen to annoying, poorly scripted, curse word filled banter, before they finally bust the door down. The amount of waiting in the game is frustrating and the AI seems mediocre at best. Although sometimes I found myself randomly being shot even while behind good cover.

As for the multiplayer. I thought it was extremely fun and seems pretty balanced. The difficulty there is that it runs on dedicated servers and since it was release day, the servers were all completely overloaded. They often crashed and/or it was impossible to get placed in a game. Once in game things seemed pretty smooth usually. There are not a huge amount of guns or classes, but the modification seems very cool. There are all kinds of nifty gadgets you can "purchase" with Battle Points, such as a UAV (that you actually get to fly), a little robot that can shoot people (that you get to control), air strikes, humvees, tanks, etc. Battle Points are earned by killing enemies, capturing objectives, or assisting your teammates. The battle points can be saved up to purchase the more expensive items or they can be spent on cheap things like a flack vest(increases the damage you can take for one life).

So that is my side of it. I'm curious to hear what others think of it. If you have any questions about it feel free to post them.

Edited by CoolWhip
Typo

I just purchased Kill Zone 3 for playstation the other night... I am a huge Call Of Duty fan but was getting a little burnt out. I will post some thoughts about Kill Zone 3 after i have some real time to sit down and play this weekend.

COD BO is good imo, but im a original socom fan and have it reserved for next month. I also picked up Test Drive2, which is a bit cheesy but the driving experience is pretty amazing. I couldn't put it down until i went through all the licenses and races

Both those games are great. My buddies and I even break out the original UT from time to time.

UT and UT2K4 ate a shitload of my time, I still play on the SSS(secret society of snipers) server once in a while. GODLIKE!

Half Life and Half Life 2 AFAIK are the only games Computer Gamer gave 10's to and they are the most immersive first person shooters I've played, some have better graphics now, but the story line coupled with the quality of game play are top notch. I don't know how many times I played 2 and it's sequels all the way through, I know what to expect and where the bad guys come from, but it's still that much fun after 7 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKA7JkV51Jw

Battlefield 1942, you like WWII history? You just may like this game, you can spawn as a couple types of infantry, an engineer or medic. Any one of them can hop in and use aircraft, tanks, jeeps or kubelwagens, ships or subs. A good engineer with a Sherman and a judicious use of mines and cover can hold a choke point for a long time, damn Jerrys didn't stand a chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai-B8iRY2Xw

Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, with the story line, cut scenes and interactive dialog you feel like you're part of a sci fi movie when playing these two. Once you get a feel for the way the game works it draws you into its universe and will eat many hours of your life up until you're done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QQuuTQnQss&feature=related