Thinking about painting the Kawi...

OsuMj

So I've been pondering a cheap paint job on the Kawi for a bit, and I know this is kinda 1982, but I think I want to do a color changing paint. I'm a little worried I'm gonna look like a disco bowling ball when its all said and done. I grabbed a can and (quickly) painted the inside of one of my broken fairings just to get a handle on what it would look like. .... opinions? I'm just wanna know if you guys will make fun of me. :D ... because i desperately need your approval. :lol:

picture.php?albumid=94&pictureid=1075

picture.php?albumid=94&pictureid=13486picture.php?albumid=94&pictureid=13487

I would consider changing the red stripe to color changing. Sort of not so gaudy.

Dunno. Whatever you do, you have to work with the red seat.

Color Harmony

Triadic is red/blue/yellow

Complementary is red/green

Analogous is red-violet/red/red-orange

split complementary is blue-green/red/yellow-green

http://www.tigercolor.com/color-lab/color-theory/color-harmonies.htm

ColorWheel.jpg

http://ecohomeresource.com/ColorWheel.jpg

edit: made more difficult by the seat being a bit on the red-orange side, of course.

Edited by ReconRat

I'd redo the seat. There's a place that has the same material but in black... looks like its just a couple of heavy duty staples. The seat is super gross anyway, kinda wanted to fix that for a while too.

Parks! why the no?? :)

:lol: And here I was thinking I was the one who's approval you were desperately seeking the most.

Paint it pink, ya girl.

whew, glad we got that one sorted out.

The paint is fine.. And the color changing would look horrid.. Keep it the same. With that bright red seat it would look awful with that other color.

I was going to redo the seat to black.

Yeah. I was thinking it would be kinda fun and different. You can't tell from the pic, but the paint on my bike is prettttty bad right now. It has been dropped and wrecked more than a few times by the time I bought it, so besides kinda updating it with new paint, I thought i could sand out all the scratches and rough spots too.

Haha, I can't decide whether I need talked out of it, or talked into it. I think it looks kinda sweet on the test piece. :) and its not like I'm going to be ruining perfectly good fairings bc they're pretty shitty right now... and, color change paint was really cool in the 80s right? It'll be like I time warped my 87 kawi to 2011. :D

I confess I've wanted to try color changing paint.

Never did though. I think it needs to be worked into something.

Flames, tribal, something...

This, but it won't be found in spray cans:

KonFusionLC Liquid Crystal Chameleon Pearl Flake

KonFusion%20LC%20Cat%20Shot.jpg

http://shop.thecoatingstore.com/images/KonFusion%20LC%20Cat%20Shot.jpg

Edited by ReconRat

haha, and that would be sweet. But alas, I'm a poor college student and was planning on spending about $50 on this. lol.

04DayTri... do you have pics we can see from up close? I'd like to see what yours is like

If you want a paint booth to mess around with, I've got you covered. It's not the best in the world (the guys who designed the room it went into didn't have any filtered intakes, just exhaust) but it'll do.

As for the paint, if you're going to go the 80's route you might as well add generous amount of metal flake and add some external speakers blasting Krush Groove and Grandmaster Flash. (I happen to have some MP3's if you're looking.) Don't forget your matching Hypercolor t-shirt.

Cheech! You get me!!!!! I wanted to add speakers on the little winged out areas. :)

04Day, if you go to your profile and upload them into an album (or have them on some online album), you can push the yellow square with the mountain and paste the picture link in. Thanks!

Cheech! You get me!!!!! I wanted to add speakers on the little winged out areas. :)

04Day, if you go to your profile and upload them into an album (or have them on some online album), you can push the yellow square with the mountain and paste the picture link in. Thanks!

I recommend asking magley where he sourced his speakers from and we'll get started. If you're going to flake out the fairings, you also need to paint match the helmet. Accessorizing, as you know, is very important.

:) When I first got the bike, I did a bunch of 'plastic welding' and repainting of the solid black plastic. There are so many cracks and scratches and road rashy spots... and if all else fails, it will be painted black again. Buuut, I think might ask mags about the speakers for real. I haven't looked into it at all.

I'm gonna have to get a color changing jacket too.