Pondering getting rid of my sprint..

oldschoolsdime92

I have been pondering parting ways with my sprint for a kawi z1000. I would like to trade my sprint and all of her goodies for the Z, but I don't know much about them. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with the said motorcycle, or reviews? Thanks

Wa wa wa what!?!? You're contemplating giving up the Union Jack for the glowing err, Rising Sun. The z's are nice looking and seem like they would be a comfortable ride. Good luck with your search.

However' date=' I know I really like my FZ6... and I sat on a FZ8 today at the dealership. I could see myself consuming copious amounts of tarmac on that little beauty.[/quote']

Not to go too OT but how was the FZ8 in person?? I have been reading the magazine article and reviews on them and it seems like a bike I would love to have. The styling is just perfect IMO.

I'm looking at speed triples now too. I wonder how it would be for long distance touring.

I have a 1997 Speed Triple I bought used in 1998 with 6,000 miles on it and it now has 87,000+, so I guess I can comment on what it's like to put miles on one. My longest day on the bike is 718 miles, but I have done plenty of 500-mile days. The riding position to me is perfect, but the long-distance downfall is, of course, wind protection (or lack thereof). I have the flyscreen, which does help. You may need to get creative with luggage solutions, especially with the exhausts on the 1050s.

My experience may not be that relevant to you for two reasons. One, my Speedy is several models out of date and I have not ridden a 1050, and second, mine came with a Corbin seat installed by the original owner. There are things I dislike about the Corbin, but the comfort is not one of them.

I also think that a Speed Triple will be as comfortable on long days as a Z1000, neither will be as good as a Sprint, but both are great bikes.

Gratuitous photo of used-up old Speed Triple:

Nov33a.jpg

Edited by motociclista

The 955 you looked at is very similar to mine except faster. Valve checks are called for every 12,000 miles, but after a while I realized I was wasting time and money and now I go twice that long.

I am, however, on my 17th rear tire. :D

Really, these engines are strong, understressed lumps. With minimal care, the major stuff will last a long time. If you're seriously looking at the 2003, ask if the owner replaced the quick-release disconnects on the fuel tank. They're plastic and tend to break if you're not real careful. Replacing them is no big expense, but worst-case scenario if you ignore them and let them break is that your bike goes up in smoke.

In 87,000+ miles I've done maintenance, replaced a broken shift lever, replaced the quick-disconnects, rebuilt the front brake master cylinder and replaced several electrical relays, and that's it. Oh, and replaced 16 rear tires, despite NO burnouts.

I sure can't complain.

I'm also partial to the Z1000, too.

thanks man! I seem to be swinging and missing big time on finding one. I may stay true to the jack and go for a speed triple.=)

Speed triples are sex on wheels, but the FZs are great do it all mounts. Just depends on the $ you want to spend. Used FZ1s are pretty cheap if you are patient.