48÷2(9+3)=?

Casper

48÷2(9+3)=?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. 48÷2(9+3)=?

I don't understand what you don't get about the problem, it is pretty simple really. :D

I don't get what you don't understand about FUCK YOU! :lol::bigfinger:

Yes, I'm wrong, but I'm sure many of the followers here that didn't post up their answer would realize that they too thought it was 2. If I was the only one this wouldn't be such a big thing going around the internet.

I failed! But, like gump said...who cares. :lol: I did, until I was wrong!

Eat it assholes!! :lol:

I don't get what you don't understand about FUCK YOU! :lol::bigfinger:

Yes, I'm wrong, but I'm sure many of the followers here that didn't post up their answer would realize that they too thought it was 2. If I was the only one this wouldn't be such a big thing going around the internet.

I failed! But, like gump said...who cares. :lol: I did, until I was wrong!

Eat it assholes!! :lol:

Haha don't feel bad, 4 enginerds that I work with got it wrong too

Who uses this knowledge to make money?

Me:o

Sad but true we are not very good at math in the US. If this was being used in a laboratory equation I would want the equation written as [(X/y)(z+n)] just to avoid the logical process issues.

I mean who laughs when NASA wastes a Billion dollar Satillite into the surface of Mars because someone forgot to convert ft to meters?:nono:

I did not read any posts, but i would have say the answer is 2. Woking inside the lil bracket things first 9 plus 3=12. The multiply 12 x 2 (which is the number outside of the lil braket things) equals 24. so, 48 divided by 24 = 2.

I am probably wrong, since there is probably some rule in math like the I before E except after C thing,but I really just wanted to say "lil bracket things" instead of wasting time typing parenthesis

Nick isn't necessarily wrong. It depends on what the original author intended. I've seen it plenty of times where brackets here would be implied:

48÷[2(9+3)] or 48÷((2*9)+(2*3))

Writing it like 48/2(9+3) also can cause problems, because it often gets interpreted as:

-------- as in anything to the right of the divisor is a part of the denominator.

2(9+3)

What's missing is context.

Nick isn't necessarily wrong. It depends on what the original author intended. I've seen it plenty of times where brackets here would be implied:

48÷[2(9+3)] or 48÷((2*9)+(2*3))

Writing it like 48/2(9+3) also can cause problems, because it often gets interpreted as:

-------- as in anything to the right of the divisor is a part of the denominator.

2(9+3)

What's missing is context.

you better get started telling every math teacher your new math rules.

Not my rules. My math teacher was good enough to explain these situations, sorry yours wasn't.

If you go into that other thread linked to the physics forum they mention purplemath.com, another site and a reference to an engineering math book or something that have these and there are plenty of others. It's too ambiguous.

TI Implied Math

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops2.htm

Edited by fusion

Ha no shit I should tried that line in school on a test or hw. I would say it is what it is unless otherwise stated.

Not my rules. My math teacher was good enough to explain these situations, sorry yours wasn't.

If you go into that other thread linked to the physics forum they mention purplemath.com, another site and a reference to an engineering math book or something that have these and there are plenty of others. It's too ambiguous.

TI Implied Math

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops2.htm

It's a malformed equation. It doesn't have an answer.

edit: btw, I would have said.... 2

I heart you guys! :lol::cheers:

If I were to get this on a test, I would crumble it up and toss it in the prof's face for being such a retard while setting up the problem. The issue is not how to do the problem, it's how the problem was set up (poorly I might add) in the first place.

It's a malformed equation. It doesn't have an answer.

edit: btw, I would have said.... 2

It's formed perfectly fine.
Try simplify to get rid of the 2:

2x12

divide by 2 over 2 (one)

or multiply by .5 over .5 (one)

=2

2(9+3) is not the same as 48÷2(9+3)

(48/2)*(9+3) is the same as 48÷2(9+3)

(48/2)*(9+3) implies an operand that wasn't there

(48/2)*(9+3) is the same as (48÷2)(9+3)

the issue is that 48÷2(9+3) has two answers