48÷2(9+3)=?

Casper

48÷2(9+3)=?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. 48÷2(9+3)=?

I'll save you the hassle. I'm correct.

On phone with him now and a certified mathmetician just said 2. Left to right isn't true...multiplication always come 1st. PEMDAS no matter what. He said he would mark 288 wrong with his students. You can't be changing the rule or you won't be using the rule PEMDAS! Multiplication BEFORE division no matter what! It's the damn RULE! I'm sticking with my answer: 2! :cheers:

Example bitches!

5-2+1=

Is it 2 or 4? If you apply the left to right rule, like you did with you answer, it would be 4, then PEMDAS doesn't apply. Using PEMDAS, it scatters you all over the problem no matter how big working in THAT specific order! The answer is 2 here also!

Edited by NinjaNick

No, you don't. :lol: They never taught that in school. It's not PEDMAS it's PEMDAS.

It's 2 and I'm sticking to it. I knew every teacher from elementary to college taught me correctly. I remember specifically sitting in class and watching teachers solve throughout the problem all the multiplications first and then starting over and continuing doing division throughout, then addition throughout, then subtraction.

Yeah, you work left to right, but you start each step left to right using PEMDAS.

I gotta go to bed now though. I'm done for now.

No, you don't. :lol: They never taught that in school. It's not PEDMAS it's PEMDAS.

It's 2 and I'm sticking to it. I knew every teacher from elementary to college taught me correctly. I remember specifically sitting in class and watching teachers solve throughout the problem all the multiplications first and then starting over and continuing doing division throughout, then addition throughout, then subtraction.

Yeah, you work left to right, but you start each step left to right using PEMDAS.

http://www.mathsisfun.com/operation-order-pemdas.html

You like apples? How bout them apples!!!!!!

yeah, but you went to school in dayton........i think thats the variable here.

:D

Nick, I gotta meet this 4.0 math wiz. Multiplication doesn't come before division. They have the same weight, so they go left to right. Beginners math here folks. Your dude is probably screwing with you. :lol:

PS: I have a 4.0 also.

Nick, tell your contact he's retarded. Multiplication doesn't come before division. :lol:

I told him you'd say that. :lol: He said you just can't reach everyone. :lol:

I think this thread is funny and you really got the board hopping today with this thread. You did good. :bow:

Beginners math here folks. Your dude is probably screwing with you. :lol:

No we were on the phone bullshitting for awhile, we were best friends for over 25 years until he moved to Georgia. I laid the problem out for him and he said there would have to be parenthesis around the division to get 288.

Oh well....

Yeah, the beginners math is what fucks everyone up because it's sooo long time ago. :lol:

I told him you'd say that. :lol: He said you just can't reach everyone. :lol:

I think this thread is funny and you really got the board hopping today with this thread. You did good. :bow:

I edited my post apparently after you replied. Lol.

Nick, I gotta meet this 4.0 math wiz. Multiplication doesn't come before division. They have the same weight, so they go left to right. Beginners math here folks. Your dude is probably screwing with you. :lol:

PS: I have a 4.0 also.

Maybe sometime I can give you his email and you can ask him why he says it's 2. I just know he was always a math geek and carried a 4.0 till he finished his masters in Mathematics at Miami U in Oxford.

No we were on the phone bullshitting for awhile, we were best friends for over 25 years until he moved to Georgia. I laid the problem out for him and he said there would have to be parenthesis around the division to get 288.

Oh well....

Yeah, the beginners math is what fucks everyone up because it's sooo long time ago. :lol:

The answer really is 288. The point of this problem is to test order of operations. No joke. 2 is not the correct answer. Lol.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!!!! :mad:

48/2(9+3)

As stated' date=' the 2 next to parenthesis gets precedence over division by the fact that is is next to the parenthesis without * involved

(juxtaposition). Therefore 48/[2(9+3)'] is the implied problem. This makes it 48/[2(12)] = 48/24 = 2

• Upvote 1

48/2(9+3)

As stated, the 2 next to parenthesis gets precedence over division by the fact that is is next to the parenthesis without * involved. Therefore 48/[2(9+3)] is the implied problem

2 is not correct.

• Upvote 1