48÷2(9+3)=?

Casper

48÷2(9+3)=?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. 48÷2(9+3)=?

Man, this is a great party question to get people going crazy and socializing and laughing their asses off! I wish we all were in a room talking about this because I would be laughing so hard.

Looks like others online are having the same argument. :lol:

humph...i think i'd prefer hookers and beer. but hey, that's just me.

Since different types of calculators will give different answers, fix it first.

from that http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops2.htm

The general consensus among math people is that "multiplication by juxtaposition" (that is, multiplying by just putting things next to each other, rather than using the "×" sign) indicates that the juxtaposed values must be multiplied together before processing other operations.

sooo

48/(2(9+3))

calculate that

edit: and honestly, I always did that with my calculator if that is what I intended.

Since it didn't take long to realize the calculator might give the wrong answer.

Edited by ReconRat

(48/2)*(9+3) implies an operand that wasn't there

(48/2)*(9+3) is the same as (48÷2)(9+3)

the issue is that 48÷2(9+3) has two answers

edit: two possible answers when using calculators

I tend to believe only one answer when using a pencil

2(9+3) literally means 2 times the quantity 9 plus 3, right? The multiplication operand is always implied when there's a coefficient in front of a parenthetical. FYI.

The answer is 288 until you're blue in the face. Nothing is changing it. :D

Since different types of calculators will give different answers, fix it first.

from that http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops2.htm

sooo

48/(2(9+3))

calculate that

edit: and honestly, I always did that with my calculator if that is what I intended.

Since it didn't take long to realize the calculator might give the wrong answer.

Again, you're creating a new equation by adding parentheses. The problem as presented is 288.

One of the CR folks emailed a math professor at Otterbein:

Lance,

You start from the left when there are operations of the same rank (division, multiplication). Things in parentheses are completed before they are combined.

So it would be 48/2 = 24 first. Then 24*(9+3) = 24*12 = 288 which in itself was one of my favorite numbers growing up. Since 144 is called one gross, then 288 is two gross which we would twist as too gross. So we would call someone that was irritating us a 288.

If you feed "=48/2*(9+3)" into Excel you get 288 also.

I hope the world is treating you well. All is fine with moi.

Best,

---

Professor, Mathematical Sciences

Otterbein University, Towers Hall 139, 1 Grove St

Westerville OH 43081-2006 USA

I removed the name for obvious reasons.

yeah, I see 288. But if the answer was meant to be two, then the equation was written wrong for a calculator. It has two answers. Different calculators will give one or the other answer. It's best avoided by clearly defining an equation that all of the calculators can consistently handle.

And I still say with a pencil the answer is two.

Let me try again. I taught math classes. The students had calculators. If they weren't careful, they could input the same equation, and different calculators would give different answers. I taught them to clearly define their equations, so that this would not happen. You're not listening, heheh...

Lance,

You start from the left when there are operations of the same rank (division, multiplication). Things in parentheses are completed before they are combined.

So it would be 48/2 = 24 first. Then 24*(9+3) = 24*12 = 288 which in itself was one of my favorite numbers growing up. Since 144 is called one gross, then 288 is two gross which we would twist as too gross. So we would call someone that was irritating us a 288.

If you feed "=48/2*(9+3)" into Excel you get 288 also.

I hope the world is treating you well. All is fine with moi.

Best,

---

Professor, Mathematical Sciences

Otterbein University, Towers Hall 139, 1 Grove St

Westerville OH 43081-2006 USA

Bwhahaha, nerd jokes.

Kinda like ya'll are a bunch of third derivatives of the position function -- s'''

:lol:

rephrase the question so the what is in the parentheses is already solved and then remove the parentheses -->

What is 48 / 2 X 12

So the answer is 288 not 2.

I still think correct notation should be used to remove the chance for this error.

(48/2)12 makes more sense.

when i first looked at the equation i read it as 48 over 2(9+3), so i am in the 2 crowd. Looks like we are winning the phys org poll and yahoo answers:

Distributive property of multiplication. Early Algebra.

The distributive property of multiplication CLEARLY states that the 2(9+3) is an entire term and CANNOT be broken up. 2(9+3) follows the distributive property which can be rewritten as (2*9+2*3). Let me repeat the 2 outside of the parenthesis follows the distributive property of multiplication and must be factored and simplified before performing any other operations on it.

So this can be rewritten as:

48 / (2*9 + 2*3)

Which leaves us with

48 / 24 = 2

Answer = 2.

Lastly for those using Google or any other online calculator. These do not understand many theorems or properties so you must explicitly explain what you mean. There is a difference between 48 / 2 *(9+3) and 48 / 2(9+3). The first notation reads 48 / 2 * 1(9+3) while the second reads 48 / (2*9+2*3). Be very careful with your signs.

Jeremi I just got your email and the answer is 288

:lol: witty.

If Stephen Hawking could move, he would fap to this thread.

:lol:

Sometimes I solve really complicated equations on the chalkboards in the classrooms at night after everybody leaves

Goodwill Hunting, is that you?