48÷2(9+3)=?

Casper

48÷2(9+3)=?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. 48÷2(9+3)=?

OMG...really? :lol:

Yes, I did parenthesis first! 12! then 2 is multiplied by it and that's 24. So the hardest/easiest part is 48/24 which is 2!!

Answer: 2 !!

You're killing me Mr. Math! I wish you asked me this at dyno day. :lol:

48÷2(9+3)=288

48÷[2(9+3)]=2

The P means do things in parentheses first. Not things multiplied by things in parentheses.

P (parentheses) = (9+3)=12

E (exponents) = no exponents

M/D (multiplication and division, left to right) = 48/2=24 then 24(12)= 288

A/S (addition and subtraction, left to right) = no addition or subtraction

P = INSIDE the parentheses. :nono:

48÷2(9+3)=

48÷2(12)= This is the exact same as 48÷2x12, multiplication and division from left to right.

24(12)=

48÷2(9+3)=288

48÷[2(9+3)]=2

the p means do things in parentheses first. Not things multiplied by things in parentheses.

e (exponents) = no exponents

m/d (multiplication and division, left to right) = 48/2=24 then 24(12)= 288

a/s (addition and subtraction, left to right) = no addition or subtraction

p = inside the parentheses. :nono:

48÷2(9+3)=

48÷2(12)= this is the exact same as 48÷2x12, multiplication and division from left to right.

24(12)=

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I'm an enginerd. Thanks to OSU's engineering program I have had to take math every quarter for the past four years. I am two classes short of a math major. I'm so sick of math that I'm not even going to take those two extra classes to get the double major.

48÷2(9+3)=288

48÷[2(9+3)]=2

The P means do things in parentheses first. Not things multiplied by things in parentheses.

E (exponents) = no exponents

M/D (multiplication and division, left to right) = 48/2=24 then 24(12)= 288

A/S (addition and subtraction, left to right) = no addition or subtraction

P = INSIDE the parentheses. :nono:

48÷2(9+3)=

48÷2(12)= This is the exact same as 48÷2x12, multiplication and division from left to right.

24(12)=

You do multiplication 1st! So yes, left to right, multiplication is 1st! which is 24.

48/24 = 2

:lol: AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

48÷2(9+3)=

24(12)=

hmm...i guess this does make more sense...forgot about removing parenthesis after you do the work inside of them....i see how 288 is right now, but def tripped me up with a quick glance and not being in math for awhile lol

Man, this is a great party question to get people going crazy and socializing and laughing their asses off! I wish we all were in a room talking about this because I would be laughing so hard.

Looks like others online are having the same argument. :lol:

You do multiplication 1st! So yes, left to right, multiplication is 1st! which is 24.

48/24 = 2

:lol: AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Did you not read this? I believe it has been stated repeatedly in this thread.

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

OK...I see BOTH ways.

I must ask a math teacher! :lol: I have a buddy that got a 4.0 in college majoring in math and is a teacher down in Georgia. I will have to text him this. :lol:

I'll save you the hassle. I'm correct.

multiplication and division can be switched....its left to right, same for addition and subtraction....only time a number is applied inside the parenthesis before that would be exponents....so 288 is actually correct - just at a quick glance i see how its easy to come up with 2 if youre putting the 2 multiplied into the parenthesis

Wrong!

Any number next to parenthesis gets multiplied by the sum inside the parenthesis.

Yes, but you have:

48/2*(9+3)

48/2*(12) - Now follow order or operations where multiplication and division are on the same priority level and you get:

24*(12)

I don't understand what you don't get about the problem, it is pretty simple really. If it said 48/[2(9+3) then sure it would be 2 but because order of operations states that multiplication and do not take priority over eachother, then you work from left to right.