My first gun

vw151

FFL's can't sell handguns to anyone under 21.

They also can't sell long guns to people under 18. So you're saying its illegal for a parent to buy a shotgun for their kid to take hunting?

If its illegal for a person under 18 to use a firearm, why do they make kid sized 22s and 410s?

And it was bought private party - and the seller verified the legality of the situation with an FFL dealer, and i checked with a sheriff on the legality aswell and both sources said it was legal as long as she was the one who purchased it, and it stayed in her possession until i was 21 and that only she is allowed to transport it and store it.

It is her gun until I am 21 then it can be turned over to me. Nothing illegal about it.

Straight from the ATF website

(B14) May a parent or guardian

purchase firearms or ammunition

as a gift for a juvenile (less than 18

years of age)?

Yes. However, possession of

handguns by juveniles (less than 18

years of age) is generally unlawful.

Juveniles generally may only receive

and possess handguns with the written

permission of a parent or guardian

for limited purposes, e.g., employment,

ranching, farming, target practice

or hunting.

Edited by Steve Butters

Sorry to hear about your dad I lost my mom when I was younger. So its your moms gun for one more month.

yes. she purchased it, and in one month when im legal age shes going to sell it to me for the same price she paid for it. cash is already sitting in the safe for it.

like i said - i checked all the legalities of it beforehand because my mom is very "by the book"....only purchased early because i found a great deal on it on armslist and wanted to jump on it

Thanks for all of your input guys. Honestly, I'm very new to the scene so just hearing the different models is helpful. I'm starting to discern what is high end and what is not and getting a feel for what is out there. Currently I think I'm either going to get a glock 9mm or a Springfield armory 1911. I really like the 1911 feel and style but I also liked the glock and the 9mm is more economical.

we'll see. I'm sure it won't be the last gun I buy.

yes. she purchased it, and in one month when im legal age shes going to sell it to me for the same price she paid for it. cash is already sitting in the safe for it.

like i said - i checked all the legalities of it beforehand because my mom is very "by the book"....only purchased early because i found a great deal on it on armslist and wanted to jump on it

Whateva, you gun owners are all criminals.

Try a bunch out.

If you are going to carry, get something that is comfortable and train with it. Then train with it some more. CCW class prepares your mind. It's up to you to prepare yourself.

Practice accessing your firearm from concealment. Practice shooting dynamically…not just standing and aiming. When things get stressful, fine motor control tends to go out the window (fight-or-flight mode). One defaults to his level of training.

Example A:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9zy37-_0LU

Example B:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBtws_WJGfc

No one was hit in either incident. Lucky for all involved, But don’t rely on luck.

Don’t get caught up in the whole caliber thing. Get what feels comfortable, and actually put the rounds through it. Analogous to the track...No matter how big the bike, there’s almost always someone on a smaller bike that has the skills to make you look like a fool. Win the race in the straights or the corners?

speedtriple--- i like your style of gun and also your bike style..

VW---My first gun was a full size .40 Taurus pt840, i bought it because i had decided on the .40 caliber and it was the first gun i pickedup and it instantly felt perfect in my hand.

when i chose to get my CCW i went with the Taurus TCP. also had decided on the .38 for carry then decided i liked the taurus more than the rest and the price was good..

if I was to buy one now it would be a XDm 3.8 in a .40 compact. or Beretta PX4 storm .40 compact.

but at the end of the day its all about what you like and how it feels in your hand. and what you can afford.. that was a factor on both my guns. but im a college student.

Whateva, you gun owners are all criminals.

agreed. its a fucking interrogation around here. :D

i love my p2ksk it conceals very well and its not too heavy.... my next two guns will be a fullsize HK45 and a S&W bodyguard (not sure if ill go old man style or not, i want a pocket gun for dropping in my shorts pocket during the summer when i dont have a belt)

Thanks for all of your input guys. Honestly, I'm very new to the scene so just hearing the different models is helpful. I'm starting to discern what is high end and what is not and getting a feel for what is out there. Currently I think I'm either going to get a glock 9mm or a Springfield armory 1911. I really like the 1911 feel and style but I also liked the glock and the 9mm is more economical.

we'll see. I'm sure it won't be the last gun I buy.

if youre willing to drop the $ on a 1911, check out one of these...not a 1911 - but one of the best guns you will ever buy....even in .40 its a very smooth shooter - feels like a 9mm while shooting....they also sell them in 9mm if thats your thing

http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/p2000sk_general.asp

Um, wear a belt. No one wants to see your underwear. Not even skanky chicks.

lol i meant for basketball shorts

i can drop my current gun in the pocket of my climbing shorts because the elastic is nice and thick - but the grip hangs out the pocket a little bit lol so i dont think thats a valid way to carry - i think i can slip my m-tac on them though

if youre willing to drop the $ on a 1911, check out one of these...not a 1911 - but one of the best guns you will ever buy....even in .40 its a very smooth shooter - feels like a 9mm while shooting....they also sell them in 9mm if thats your thing

http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/p2000sk_general.asp

"Compact" starts with a "c". Crazy Germans.

lol i meant for basketball shorts

i can drop my current gun in the pocket of my climbing shorts because the elastic is nice and thick.......i dont think thats a valid way to carry

Not valid in a car.

Gun must be in a holster in a car even if its in your pocket... would get u improper handling of a firearm which is a 4th degree felony offense and your permit would probably be swiftly revoked

wow good to know - that was not mentioned in our ccw class, they just said it had to be on your person

if that bill goes through it wont matter, but for the time being it is nice to know

that was not mentioned in our ccw class

Read that little book they gave you, or download a new copy and read it. It is pretty plain English and will clue you in on all of the in's and out's of the Ohio law. If you f' it up you are talking felony gun charges...being disqualified from owning any guns at all....a world of bad news.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/files/Publications/Publications-for-Law-Enforcement/Concealed-Carry-Publications/2009-Concealed-Carry-Laws-Booklet.aspx

Read that little book they gave you, or download a new copy and read it. It is pretty plain English and will clue you in on all of the in's and out's of the Ohio law. If you f' it up you are talking felony gun charges...being disqualified from owning any guns at all....a world of bad news.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/files/Publications/Publications-for-Law-Enforcement/Concealed-Carry-Publications/2009-Concealed-Carry-Laws-Booklet.aspx

reading through that section in the manual - i know we covered the close container part, so maybe i just missed when he mentioned the holster.....i dont have to worry about it since i wouldnt carry without a holster, but it is nice to know

all u need is a cheap pocket holster or cheap uncle mikes i always have cheap uncle mikes in car in case i have to leave weapon.... removing comp tac in car is PIA

mines too big for a pocket holster, but ill get one for the bodyguard when i end up getting one....ill be getting a nano vault for times i have to leave it in the car