Scooterific River Run June 5th 2011

Uncle Punk

You girls have fun out there. Be sure to tie your laces.

No laces on my flip-flops.

See everyone in the morning; I plan to be there at 8:30.

Millersburg about 10:30

New Concord about noon.

I know we are picking up Gregg's group in Millersburg but don't know who all we are meeting in New Concord.

I have updated the first post and will check in this thread in the morning. If anyone from the Columbus area plan to meet us in New Concord and I don't already have your number please PM me with it so I can update you if we are going to be way off of our arival time.

Present... thanks again for the idea IP. Fun ride, minus the mishap

+1. First time for me on a scoot. Pretty easy process -- Point scooter. Pin throttle open. Don't let go until next gas station stop.

Thanks again Chris (Scratcher) for the accommodations. :):cheers: You're right about that seat. My ass is gonna be sore.

Uncle Punk will need to check in when he finally gets back.

Quite a few claimed to have them for this ride...soccer mom said she'd ride. I told her I would oblige and then we can go somewhere after on the scooter. I wonder why she didn't show....other folks said Nelsons this weekend. Jeez.

Charging batteries again in cameras...let's see whot I got pics and vids of.....then i'll pfight with memory lacking computer to burn DVD...Let's see sr83, sr555, sr666, then back on sr60. What'd I miss?

Edited by littlecarbsbigsmiles

Btw, I didn't know you had a scooter. Do many people on here?

I don't. I borrowed it from a gracious fella.

Thanks again Chris (Scratcher) for the accommodations. :):cheers: You're right about that seat. My ass is gonna be sore.

Ohh yea, can't wait to see all Greg's pics! He was an action photographer on the speedbike. Pretty bad when a GS500F is considered the speedbike of the group :p

Okay...this video may be do-able. Got more pics and video than I thought. A chop here a clip there and cover the windnoise with music. This could work. I love the segment where all are breezing by with the futt, futt, futt of full song scooter with the Vette giving chase and its throaty exhaust note burbling and rumbling when backing off for the turn. Lotsa smiles.

Ahh........my butt. Can't wait to see Gregg's pics.

The Ruckus RuckStar made it in-tact. The smallest bump at any speed over 40 mph was like crashing on two wheels. Ruckus on the highway, retarded yet ...... no, just retarded.

That Veno 125 was hammerin the twisties. Had to be that yellow snowboard helmet giving him all that speed.

Ridding the wheels off lil scooters, yee haa!

We had eight scooters and Gregg (littlecarbsbigsmiles) on the GS500 riding sweep, lead, cameraman pass the whole group to get action pictures, pre ride scout and Millersburg organizer. He actually did most of the heavy lifting I was very busy last week and wasn't thinking about the ride very much.

We had five of us leave from the original starting spot. Slowroller (Rick) who I had never met with a buddy of his (Roy) who is well known in the local scooter community (I have heard stories about him while hanging out at the scooter store looking for accessories.) They were on the fastest two wheel scooters of the group with Vespa 300s. Scratcher was on his tricked out big bore little Ruckus dressed in full racing leathers and the most entertaining of us all, watching him overachieve with that thing is very fun and scary at the same time. The steering geometry on that thing wasn't meant to handle the speeds it was achieving let alone doing it in curves on rough roads. Justin was on a 150cc scooter that is one of the many scooters in Scratchers stable. Justin is a fast group sport bike rider and I bet it was frustrating for him to be stuck out back most of the day, especially when there is nothing he could do about it when the thing is pinned the whole time. My 250 was probably the third fastest two wheeled scooter on the ride and handles surprisingly well. I found the hard parts scraping limit on right hand turns but not the left.

This is a new experience trying to keep a scooter group together on our way to Millersburg. Justin on the 150 had a max speed of 60 on level ground so passing was out of the question, well almost. The key is you just look for a downhill grade to give you an extra 10 to 20MPH. We were lucky that traffic was light, I only made one pass that everyone couldn't make and we arrived in Millersburg by my ETA.

Gregg had a group of four waiting for us in Millersburg, mostly family riding out of the household stable. Big Speazy (Zach) is on a little 125 and it just so happens that he was the biggest one of us. He is also a very good sport bike rider and I bet it was very frustrating riding that thing. I'm sorry but I can't remember Gregg's wife’s and Zach’s mothers name but she was there riding along with us with her pink jacket keeping up with us taking away our self image of the bad boy scooter gang. I may get this name wrong but Mike was there on a Piaggio MP3 500. That thing is so cool to watch corner when the front wheels split up and down it's amazing how much extension is built into the front end of that thing.

We now start out on our entertainment portion of our ride, 83 from Millersburg to Coshocton is our first chance to hit some curves. Fuck, there's a god damned semi in front of us with absolutely no chance to pass it so this will be a slow ride to Coshocton. I would slow way down to let the semi get out of sight then pin it go only to be right up behind the semi in three curves, repeat the whole accordion several more times to Coshocton. The truck stayed on 16 so we had a clear road to New Concord. We arrive at the gas stop earlier than my ETA only to find no one there to join our group. We were gassed up and ready to leave by ten till noon but we waited until noon before we departed just in case anyone might make it to join us but no one did. Now I find out that we start out on the slowest scooter ride our matriarch had ever been on, how’s that for an ego buster.

I really love the section of 83 from 146 to 78 riding a sport bike; the road is new within the last two years so it is smooth and fast. On a scooter it's full throttle the whole way; fun no doubt but requires little skill. When I planned the route I wanted to get to the river and back riding back roads with the route being as simple as possible going down so that if anyone joined the ride but decided that riding that far on a scooter was retarded they could just turn around and ride back on one road. When 83 meets 60 down close to Beverly I decided to take 339 to 7 so we would accomplish our goal of making it to the river but be close to 555 so we could start our trip back home. For anyone reading this that is out on a sport bike looking for good roads 339 can be avoided. It is boring but served our purpose to get to the river quickly. We get to 7 and our gas stop in very reasonable time without any complaints about what a mistake this ride has been so all is good. When I met Roy the seasoned scooter rider at our original meeting spot he wisely told me that he might not make it to the river with us and would be peeling off at sometime depending on how he felt. I assumed he was going to check out this bunch of scooter riding rookies and if we were lacking he intended to go off and entertain himself. Roy was still with the group so I took that as a good sign. Now he had no choice but to stay with us because we had done all the hard work getting down to this point, it would be a shame to let the best scooter road on our route go without slaying it.

Up 555 we go, now this is where scooters shine, it felt like the perfect road for these machines. The guys on the smaller scooters could keep up with the faster ones and really made the whole trip worthwhile. On a sport bike this road is scary as hell with blind rises that will launch your front in the air, dirty curves that make you slow down to give yourself an out, just constantly on your toes looking out for the road to try to throw you off of it. Some people enjoy it some don't, I happen to like it but I know not everyone I ride with share the same fondness for it and with good reason. It's a whole different ride on a scooter and I can't recommend it enough, forty miles of smiles if you start at the bottom and go north.

We did have an incident on 555 and until we know the guys status, he posts the details or gives someone else permission to post details we won't discuss it too much. He did eventually make it to a hospital after he rode for 30 miles.

The group went on from Zanesville without three of us so I would like to hear how that went.