Bro's new ride

redkow97

Since he's a Washington resident now, I don't feel like I'm stepping on his toes by posting this.

Nothing too fancy, but it's a serious upgrade from his 1993(?) Yamaha Seca II (which currently has an effed up rear brake caliper, and a broken chain)

1303911225.jpg

2006 with 9k miles. It's hard to see in the cell phone quality picture, but there is a huge touring wind-screen currently mounted. That's coming off, but will be kept for long trips and colder weather. He said it was great on the highway yesterday, but I imagine it kills gas mileage to have a giant wall in front of you...

but you have to remember, he's only ridden my EX500 and his XJ600; maybe my dad's GS500 a few times as well.

By comparison, 363 lbs., 72hp, fuel injection, and a suspension that's not 15+ years old makes this SV650 feel like a fucking MotoGP machine.

yeah, i'm happy for him. He just moved out to Seattle and got on his feet working for Boeing.

I knew a new bike purchase was in his future, but the '99 ZX2 behind the bike needs to be replaced soon, and he just spent a lot on filling his apartment with "grown up" furniture. I figured a new bike wouldn't be in the cards until after this riding season.

He was waffling between an FZ6 or an SV650 and found this one for a decent price (and about $2k less than he had planned on spending for the FZ6 he was looking at). Rode it home last night, and is already loving it.

Anyone know what RPM an SV650 should be at in 6th gear at 75mph? He said his is around 6k, and I am wondering if stiffer clutch springs might drop that by a few hundred RPM...

Definitely loving the SV! As for cruising RPM, dropping down a tooth on the front sprocket will lower the cruising RPM and better MPG without a huge impact on performance. Especially if he's used to riding and older, smaller bike.

uh, dropping a tooth up front will raise the cruising RPM. Dropping in the rear would lower it.

I'm not worried about 6k RPM if that's normal, just trying to make sure his clutch isn't slipping when the power starts to kick in. 75mph @6k isn't unheard of when the bike redlines around 12k and tops out at 135, it just sounds a few hundred high to me.

The naked SV's are geared slightly taller than the faired models to begin with, I think.

uh, dropping a tooth up front will raise the cruising RPM. Dropping in the rear would lower it.

I'm not worried about 6k RPM if that's normal, just trying to make sure his clutch isn't slipping when the power starts to kick in. 75mph @6k isn't unheard of when the bike redlines around 12k and tops out at 135, it just sounds a few hundred high to me.

The naked SV's are geared slightly taller than the faired models to begin with, I think.

D'oh! :facepalm: You're right, my mistake. My SV had a +1 front sprocket, but it's been so long since I sold it, I had it backward in my head. That's what I get for typing before thinking...

Damn! 12k is really singin' for a twin - small caliber or not.......my inline-4 redlines about the same but I'm talking 1352cc's not 650 so I'd go up a tooth on the front and then if he's still not happy start gearing up the rear little by little until it suits him.

650 or 1k?

:nono:

And you call yourself a motorcycle enthusiast.

(pppsssstttt....here's a tip for you. Single pipe on an stock SV = 650, Dual pipes on a stock SV = 1000)

And this coming from a nerd who own's a SV1000.