my 870 is finally fixed!! pics

Steve Butters

mine you just had to put the barrel on it...but when i got it back from remington after they "fixed" it, it came in a long box that was ready to fire (jam)....whatever they did to it, made it 10x worse...instead of jamming up every 10 or so rounds, it jammed after every round...had to eventually hold the pump and slam the butt against the ground to get it to eject shells, and then a few shells later it was jammed enough that nothing i did was getting it apart aside from taking the gun apart....i only put like 20rds through it after i got it back from remington before it was in-op

i heard the older guns are better quality... lots of problems with the new ones after a quick google search....i found the same to be true with the mossbergs....the old ones my girls dad and bro have are nice and solid, but the new ones at gander felt kinda shitty and everything was loose and rattled

the nova came assembled because i bought the display model, but if you take the barrel off it fits in that box..barely lol

Edited by Steve Butters

both my 870s are put through the ringer and never fail me, sounds like an owner maintanence issue

bought it brand new in november, cleaned it real well and oiled it, and within the first 100rds (in january) it was jamming once every 10rds, sent to remington to be fixed and when i got it back it jammed after every round, with less than 25rds through it after remington gave it back to me.....yep, sounds like owner maintenance issue to me :rolleyes:

already priced it - i wont be buying one any time soon, ill use imp. cyl. choke tube and shoot rifled slugs

I have a rifled choke for the Nova. Shoots true... just ask my freezer.

I really do like the Nova. It's my go-to shotgun. As gay as it looks at the high-brow trap shoots, I can hang with o/u guys. I've taken pheasant, quail, deer, beer cans, ... Good choice.

My issue was with a Remington 870 express home defense, purchased 12/09. New out of the box, cleaned and oiled prior to firing. Round 7 and round 25 would not eject spent shell. Then Remington 887, brand new, purchased from a person that won it at Ducks Unlimited raffle. Clean and oil, very first round fired, pulled the forearm rearward to eject spent shell. Could not get the forearm to move forward. Remington ended up mailing me a new bolt, port cover and trigger assembly. I fired about 20 rounds through the it after replacing the parts Remington sent to me. I plan to use this as my turkey gun. So maybe quality has slipped a bit at Remington.

My issue was with a Remington 870 express home defense, purchased 12/09. New out of the box, cleaned and oiled prior to firing. Round 7 and round 25 would not eject spent shell. Then Remington 887, brand new, purchased from a person that won it at Ducks Unlimited raffle. Clean and oil, very first round fired, pulled the forearm rearward to eject spent shell. Could not get the forearm to move forward. Remington ended up mailing me a new bolt, port cover and trigger assembly. I fired about 20 rounds through the it after replacing the parts Remington sent to me. I plan to use this as my turkey gun. So maybe quality has slipped a bit at Remington.

i believe my problem was in the barrel...i think the spent rounds were jamming up in barrel and when the forearm was pulled back the extractor was grabbing the round but couldnt pull it out so the forearm would not move

i tried several different ammos, cheap ones, good ones, high brass, slugs, everything.....it did it on every type of ammo.... and remington "reamed and polished the chamber" when i sent it in for warranty work and when i got it back it was even worse...i told the people at gander i was tired of messing with it and asked if they would exchange it, they said yes, so when i did the exchange i asked if they would let me upgrade and they did

mine was an 870 express field gun...26" barrel, black synthetic...cheap model 870

bought it brand new in november, cleaned it real well and oiled it, and within the first 100rds (in january) it was jamming once every 10rds, sent to remington to be fixed and when i got it back it jammed after every round, with less than 25rds through it after remington gave it back to me.....yep, sounds like owner maintenance issue to me :rolleyes:

i never clean mine out of the box. unpack then go bang.

You just need to go buy a old 870 I guess? Mine has maybe a 1000 shells down range and have not had a issue.

i think the older guns were better made...i hear great things about them but not so great about the new ones...same for the mossberg 500s....i guess the economy is imposing some QC issues on some gun manufacturers, or so it seems