WERA just got cheaper

redkow97

I overheard at registration that provisional novices now get to 'rent' a transponder for free.

That means you can save $120 on your first two weekends, and/or avoid buying a $200-$415 transponder for a little while longer.

At the rate I'm going, I may not have even needed to buy a transponder this season. That $200 (and I got a pretty good deal) would pay for another set of tires, or a full day at almost any track in the country...

Yeah, I'm not upset, but if anyone is thinking, "damn, $100 for race school, $110 for the license, and then more money for the transponder," it removes that second (or third) excuse.

Now that I've actually spent a full weekend in the WERA paddock, I wish I'd done it sooner - and I didn't even race on Sunday.

you didn't race sunday? that would've gotten one weekend under your belt.

at 200 that was a worthy investment and you'll be better off down the road. maybe not now but that was a steal.

i bought mine for 300, some go for 400. so in essence you saved yourself 100-200 down the road to go towards tires/tracktime/fees.

I wanted to race sunday, but it just wasn't worth it...

I'm a competitive person, but this racing thing is mostly for fun. Without rain tires (not in the budget), I wasn't going to be competitive, and being one of two riders on the grid putting around in the wet wasn't even going to be fun either.

I have no shame in the orange shirt, so I'm not in a huge hurry to get rid of it.

Closest location Grattan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for the race school?

Depends on where you are in Ohio. Grattan and BeaveRun are both coming up pretty soon. If you're in SW Ohio, Grattan will probably be closer. Anywhere Columbus or East though, BeaveRun is probably closer.

I will be racing at BeaveRun.

Are there any events @ Mid Ohio that a novice could participate in? I started doing track days with the idea of getting into racing, but my work schedule only allows me to get away for one day at a time, which has pretty much limited me to doing PTRs in Lexington. I would love to try a race, just for fun (like redkow). Also, what kinda disability insurance (if any) do you racers carry?

check with your provider (carefully to make sure you don't get flagged) to see if you're health insurance covers that stuff. trackdays vs racing is different in most insurance providers. depending on what kind of morals you have you could play it off as a street accident which i've heard some guys doing.

if not, brandon with ridersurance through aflac supplemental is what most guys i know run for the in case.

Are there any events @ Mid Ohio that a novice could participate in? I started doing track days with the idea of getting into racing, but my work schedule only allows me to get away for one day at a time, which has pretty much limited me to doing PTRs in Lexington. I would love to try a race, just for fun (like redkow). Also, what kinda disability insurance (if any) do you racers carry?

Only the vintage guys are racing at Mid-Ohio this year. Well, them and the AMA...

if you've got money to burn and can turn a lap that's 107% of the pole position time, you can go get lapped by the pros.

Also, what kinda disability insurance (if any) do you racers carry?

I'm interested in this too. Unfortunately, I bet if you asked most racers this question their answer would be, "Huh?"

My supplemental accident policy does not cover actual racing. So add that to my excuse list.

Only the vintage guys are racing at Mid-Ohio this year. Well, them and the AMA...

if you've got money to burn and can turn a lap that's 107% of the pole position time, you can go get lapped by the pros.

Ha! Yeah, I've got some money to burn, but the 107% thing definitely isn't happening on my li'l SV (or any other bike with me on it, for that matter). I seem to remember reading somewhere that SVs can run with the vintage guys though? Ima go look around.......................

I will be running my TL1000S in vintage days this year if at all possible. If u want to race on the cheap you can go to Putnam park and trackday and race the same weekend sometime in OCT. AS for insurance I don't have any extra coverage I just race. Life's a dance lol

Nate is 100% correct. The SV's can run at vintage days but you will have to get your license before then. Good luck BTW as it tends to bring out a bunch of really fast guys.

there's really fast guys at virtually every round, there will just be more of them at Mid-Ohio...

If I had an SV, I'd be all over it.