Secrets to cleaning up wheels?

Likwid

Since I ride a HDish bike now the majority of my time is spent cleaning & polishing my bike.

What's the best way to clean up wheels... there's 2 parts to this. Most of the wheel is a coarse texture... almost like really low grit sandpaper.

The rest of the wheels are smooth, I tried using some wheel cleaner but it doesn't get all the water spotting off.

Thanks in advance OR hivemind.

dude, it's a Harley. Park it in the garage and don't get it dirty.

Be careful with some of the store bought wheel cleaners. They permanently disfigure rims with the aggressive ingredients. Choose wisely.

webbikeworld article they picked BriteMax Grime Out

I haven't tried it. I will if I ever find any.

edit: It appears to be a professional item, and only available from the manufacturer.

http://www.britemaxusa.com/

And the one gallon is currently sold out.

Edited by ReconRat

i use simple green, followed up by honda cleaner and polish. Now i know your on an HD now but, alil honda cleaner won't hurt.

That Honda polish is the exact same thing that was in the spray can of Harley polish.

I forget the original company's name that sells it rebranded as Harley and Honda.

Is the Harley spray even still sold? I think Honda dropped it also.

I got a new can right here, form Iron Pony. It says Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner & Polish.

Manufactured by Amrep Inc., Marietta Georgia.

Good stuff, it works well. Both Iron Pony and Amazon have it.

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product.asp?ImageName=ORIGINAL-SPRAY-POLISH.jpg&Brand=ORIGINAL%20BIKE%20SPIRITS&Class2=Chemicals&Class3=Cleaners,%20Waxes,%20Polishes&Class1=ATV%20PRODUCTS

It looks like it is also found with the name Next Dimension Bike Polish. In a can that copies the same colors on the label. And some people think it's the reincarnation of the Honda/Harley polish. But I don't understand that, since the manufacturer's website doesn't show it. I don't like that, I think it might be a bogus copy cat. edit: Ok, it's confusing, but some of the websites say it is also manufactured by Amrep in Marietta Georgia. But I'll stick with Original Bike Spirits as long as I can find it.

edit moar: Honda held the patent for the original formula for the polish. It's gone. The only difference is that Honda polish had a lemon scent in it. Amrep is still the same supplier, but without the lemon scent. I'm not sure what Harley was using exactly, but it was the same thing from the same company, as far as I know.

Odd factoid, which I've mentioned before. When I worked in a dawn of time Honda shop, we cleaned and polished the bikes with Lemon Pledge. There must be a sales factor with that lemon scent. Or it's a Zen thing...

Edited by ReconRat

^^+1!! Lemon Pledge works well after you've cleaned anything chromed or painted but takes a little elbow grease to buff out -- make sure to use the Lemon!! Some of the other "flavors" only attract ugly chix;)

That Honda polish is the exact same thing that was in the spray can of Harley polish.

I forget the original company's name that sells it rebranded as Harley and Honda.

Is the Harley spray even still sold? I think Honda dropped it also.

My local honda stealership dropped it for awhile, and had the bike spirits stuff, and then some other stuff that was supposed to be "green" .Last time i was there, they had the honda stuff back, so i picked up a can. I love that stuff. Its great.

Simple green didn't work too well... I'm starting to think the wheels might be stained... I think the next step might be sandpaper and new wheel wax

If there is a clear coat over the metal, it's going to be a pain.

There has to be something that removes the stains.

I'm at a loss to say what though.

PM Hoblick. He knows things we don't.

Simple green didn't work too well... I'm starting to think the wheels might be stained... I think the next step might be sandpaper and new wheel wax

:wtf:

before you do anything crazy let me look at them first

I clean my (painted black) wheels with WD40. Actually I clean pretty much everything metal with WD40. WD40 is great for cleaning stuff, and that's about all it's good for.

Same here. Takes the grease and residue from the chains spin-off and white lithium right off.

However. My VTX is getting some mother lovin issues on the wheels on it. They are machined/clear coated... whatever Honda tried to do and they are a pain in the ass. I can get the lips to shine but that is it. I am thinking some flat black powder on them is going to look nice... Plus there will be no more polishing on them.

No chain grease to take care of... just water spots and brake dust... but Hoblick responded back with what we all feared... "if it's factory clear coat.... good luck"

I'm not going to let vanity force me into buying new wheels... but grrrr, my OCD is going to get the best of me eventually.

I don't know if id use it on the whole bike, but I use 3M adhesive remover to clean the wheels. It takes all the grime and chain lube right off with out scrubbing. Avoid the sandpaper idea. Might look good 1 time but it will permanently damage your finish.