Lead in kids toys?

buildit

I have been following some of the news reports concerning lead in toys and other products. Currently in the US you can not buy a Motorcycle or ATV for a child because they contain unknown lead levels. Tonight Channel 6 in Columbus reported lead issues with skate boards.

Where is the common sense in this and who are the morons enforcing these stupid laws? I am sure there are plenty of idiots crying "who'll protect the children", but I'd like to suggest the blocking of the following products because of their danger to children because of lead.

Cars (Lead in Battery and electronics)

Computers (lead in the electronics and soldering)

Radios, iPods and other listening devices (lead in the electronics and soldering)

Gaming counsoles from Xbox, Nintendo, and others (lead in the electronics and soldering)

Cell phones for kids (lead in the electronics and soldering)

I think if we really put our heads into this we can shut down half of the industries in the US. Which consumer protection group should I talk to about this first. :rolleyes:

Hey Grandpa... ever hear of lead-free solder?

Nope.:D Do they use lead free parts in all electronics? If so how come they say people need to recycle because of lead in computers and such?

Just trying to share the Lead Free love the MC world is facing.;)

:) Darn kids chewing on the TV set again.;)

Channel 6 set me off last night with there story about toy producers who were volunteering to disclose that there "may" be lead in their toys, followed by some doctor saying how even low levels are bad and NO toys should have any lead in them. The item that they showed with the warning was a skate board! :nono: If your kid is so stupid he tries to eat their skate board I see it as natural selection at work that they should get lead poisoning. Moreover that parent should not be allowed to breed any more.:rolleyes:

Edited by buildit

:) Darn kids chewing on the TV set again.;)

Channel 6 set me off last night with there story about toy producers who were volunteering to disclose that there "may" be lead in their toys, followed by some doctor saying how even low levels are bad and NO toys should have any lead in them. The item that they showed with the warning was a skate board! :nono: If your kid is so stupid he tries to eat their skate board I see it as natural selection at work that they should get lead poisoning. Moreover that parent should not be allowed to breed any more.:rolleyes:

all you have to do is breath in some of the lead dust or even get some of it on your fingers and it can be transmitted to your food

skateboard painted with led paint is getting scratched and chipped up all the time, so it would be fairly easy for lead to get on a kids hands and then have the kid eat something without washing their hands

i wouldnt call it "natural selection", its not like you have to devour the stuff in 3lb chunks to get it in your body

not saying i agree with all the stupid regulations and stuff, but to say anyone who gets lead poisoning deserves it isnt really accurate IMO

...Do they use lead free parts in all electronics?...

IT'S A TRAP!

I wouldn't trust any manufacturer (China) of merchandise or supplier of solder to be lead free.

There are test kits for checking for lead. Also places you can take your stuff to get checked.

Lead is easily absorbed through the skin when handled, and it is very slow to remove from the system.

Or make your kids permanently wear gloves and/or full protective body suit.

i wouldnt call it "natural selection", its not like you have to devour the stuff in 3lb chunks to get it in your body

In the world of dangerous materials lead is pretty low in reality and while 3 lb chuncks wouldn't do you any favors, I bet the cadmium in an electronic part would do more harm than the lead. Reguardless of toxicity (LD50 of 11mg/kg in mice) why do we outlaw a motorcycle for lead content? Was there a rash of hungry young off road kids dying from snacking on their PW50s' :rolleyes: Realistically you'd have to consume about a sugar cube sized piece of lead, ground up for total adsorption, for a child to die from it.

It just seems someone had youth motorcycles as a target item and pushed it through, but I think we should do the same thing to other youth items like electronics to get congress to change the law and stop being morons. :wtf: As I understood it the original intent of the law was keep lead out of utensils, jewlery, serving ware, cups, and other items that we might naturally stick in our mouth or a young child might accidentally ingest or teeth upon.

As for the skate board, it doesn't seem as likely the lead is in the paint as it does that the lead is in the bearings and trucks used.;)