Gotta Love Gear

sParkSnare

Today around 10:00 a.m. on I70 eastbound, around mile marker 69 (west of Columbus), a rider about 80 yards in front of me went down like he'd been shot. I saw his head literally bounce off the highway (scared the sh*t out of me, can't even imagine what must have been going through his head at the time). Turns out his rear tire blew. He never had a prayer of maintaining control.

The good news is he walked away, more or less unscathed, because he was wearing his gear.

Rider: I was the one who got your bike off the highway - hope it can be fixed. Good luck with it.

As much as I think I would be calm if I witnessed a crash, I am sure I would be freaking out trying to avoid bike parts, the bike and of course the rider. Glad to hear he was able to walk away.

I get concern on some of my favorite roads that have metal guard rails lining the edge. If I went down, I am sure you collide with one of the posts supporting the metal rail. I am not worried about the sliding, just the "what you hit" to cause you to stop.

I get concern on some of my favorite roads that have metal guard rails lining the edge. If I went down, I am sure you collide with one of the posts supporting the metal rail. I am not worried about the sliding, just the "what you hit" to cause you to stop.

Gaurd rails are nothing, the new gaurd wire systems are deadly. I picked up all 3 pieces of a rider who crashed west of Zanesville. :nono:

Gaurd rails are nothing, the new gaurd wire systems are deadly. I picked up all 3 pieces of a rider who crashed west of Zanesville. :nono:

I don't know how those stupid things are even legal...you hit one of those in anything other than a cage and its game over. I would rather just slide off the road than hit those death contraptions. Whoever thought they are a good idea needs to run into one about 70mph on a bike then reassess his opinion.

You can stop a bike upright after a rear tire flat. Be quick on the front brake and stop fast on the side of the road. You can let off the brake, but it will wobble hard, even at slower speeds. I know, easier said than done. I had to do it once on a freeway. But there was a little bit of warning wobble, and I chose to stop anyway and see what it was. That turned into an attempt to stand it on it's front wheel on the berm when all the air blew out.

I don't know how those stupid things are even legal...you hit one of those in anything other than a cage and its game over. I would rather just slide off the road than hit those death contraptions. Whoever thought they are a good idea needs to run into one about 70mph on a bike then reassess his opinion.

Yeah. But how many bikes run into one of those compared to how many

cars hit them that would have crossed over and into oncoming traffic.

I think its a numbers game when designing things like that....

how may lives could be saved as opposed to the few unfortunate riders that might die hitting one. :dunno:

• Upvote 1

how may lives could be saved as opposed to the few unfortunate riders that might die hitting one. :dunno:

+1 Especially when they say "Well it's only one, maybe two on a bike. But a family minivan....

This is exactly what I thought. Keeping cars from crossing medians is what those are all about.

Multiple things here;

1) Gear = Living, let's be honest, had he been wearing Tshirt, jeans, and sneakers no helmet, he leaves in a MedFlight and we have another thread in Fallen Riders. No ?'s asked.

2) Sounds like you were behind him, target fixation could have ended your day as well, not in a good way. Naturally if you are following at a SAFE distance, this is not the case, but had you been riding staggered and close, it could have been bad for you two.

Been there for both, track style, but either way. These are things people must think about each and everytime they ride. I saw about 25 people out today, 1/2 or more had their helmets strapped to their bikes like giant frame sliders, while wearing shades and Tshirt. Good choice.

Me too. Seeing an increased number of helmets strapped to the back. It's like it's a "style" that has to be done to be part of the cool crowd. And yes, the T-shirt and shorts and type of bike all speak for that life style chosen. Combined with the other life style that doesn't use helmets, that's quite a few lately. I'm guessing that more than 50% of the riders I've seen don't have helmets on. I realize that it's all on local roads that have speed limits of 35mph or lower, but I'm pretty sure that is where most of the collisions and falling down would be.

Me too. Seeing an increased number of helmets strapped to the back. It's like it's a "style" that has to be done to be part of the cool crowd. And yes, the T-shirt and shorts and type of bike all speak for that life style chosen. Combined with the other life style that doesn't use helmets, that's quite a few lately. I'm guessing that more than 50% of the riders I've seen don't have helmets on. I realize that it's all on local roads that have speed limits of 35mph or lower, but I'm pretty sure that is where most of the collisions and falling down would be.

That just bugs the shit out of me...

My dad is looking at a touring bike to his stable. Concourse, FJR or the ST1300. Anyways a salesman at a dealership was saying that one of the bikes side luggage bags wouldnt hold a helmet. My dad and I looked at each other and said shouldnt you be wearing the helmet??? The salesman (early 20's) replies "well if its a hot day and your cruising around you may not want to". I just rolled my eyes and walked away.

thats been my argument on those since they put them up. Terrible. absolutely crazy. I understand its a cost cutter, but its also a people cutter.

That just bugs the shit out of me...

My dad is looking at a touring bike to his stable. Concourse, FJR or the ST1300. Anyways a salesman at a dealership was saying that one of the bikes side luggage bags wouldnt hold a helmet. My dad and I looked at each other and said shouldnt you be wearing the helmet??? The salesman (early 20's) replies "well if its a hot day and your cruising around you may not want to". I just rolled my eyes and walked away.

That salesman is an idiot. And my FJR bags hold my size large Arai's, which is nice when you park the bike at a restaurant or something and don't have to carry your helmets around.

Sorry for the off topic but what a stupid sales guy.

thats been my argument on those since they put them up. Terrible. absolutely crazy. I understand its a cost cutter, but its also a people cutter.

Yep, I recovered left arm, torso and belly button down. He was wearing a helmet though for what it was worth.

If he had a rear tire BLOW out then he was running unsafe tires. Meaning that there was prob cords showing of close to it, never heard of a bike tire blowing out. Even if you pick up a screw, or nail it will not pop just leak out slowly. Hell a guy I work with pick up a piece of green rod steel in his back tire on the commute into work and his tire held, till after work when the air leaked out. Good thing this guy had gear on atleast he was smart about that.

yea my friend went down last night, we all stopped. Bikers stick together :D. I wanted to beat his ass though cause it wasnt a unavoidable mistake it was stupidity.