First ride to work

Jamez

Well its about time I put my big boy pants on and ride to work. I do ride but totally avoid riding to work cause its quite a haul and near work is super congested with cagers and mall traffic and none of them can drive.

Ill be honest and say that I'm somewhat nervous. One of the reasons I got the bike was to have fun and save gas so I've been wanting to ride in to work for a while.

Any advise on getting rid of the nervousness? Or any other advise to keep the cage danger to a minimum?

Thanks

What I did is ride the route with my bike first before actually taking it to work so I could notice somethings, like small pot holes, that I seemingly couldn't in my car. It will also give you a feel for about how long it may take and also a feel for the traffic.

That's what I did at least.

Good stuff.

The morning ride shouldn't be bad but the ride home is what I'm nervous about. That's when everyone is in a rush to get home and drives like tards.

I've had the bike for a while now and feel pretty good riding country roads but its time to step it up a notch. I'm probably freaking out for nothing but I hope you guys understand.

I feel that this is a big step for me to start riding everywhere and not just for enjoyment.

hmmm, Monday mornings and Friday afternoons/evenings aren't for beginners.

Same goes for rush hour anywhere anytime.

Go when traffic isn't maxed out. Go a little earlier in the morning, and avoid the crowds.

Watch side streets. People pull out without brain engaged in the mornings.

Don't discount just cruising along behind a car, it works.

Assume that they all either actively want to kill you, or are on the phone while doing makeup with a rodent dog sitting on their lap and will kill you by ignorance or oblivious-ness(I actually saw just this perfect storm of stupidity come left of center at me this week, debated turning around and kicking her door in)

Think about lane position/visibility, don't overlap with cagers, leave yourself an escape route, don't ride in the center lanes if you can avoid it. This also applies at stoplights - position so you can dive to the side and lane split if needed, keeping it in gear while stopped and watching your mirrors for fucktards.

Also, after reading the hilljack roadrage thread, maybe add accessories like this guy did: img_5710.jpg

Edited by AndyJ

Good stuff.

The morning ride shouldn't be bad but the ride home is what I'm nervous about. That's when everyone is in a rush to get home and drives like tards.

I've had the bike for a while now and feel pretty good riding country roads but its time to step it up a notch. I'm probably freaking out for nothing but I hope you guys understand.

I feel that this is a big step for me to start riding everywhere and not just for enjoyment.

I totally understand. Heavy city traffic can be scary enough in a car, but there are tricks to make it safer. You can always wait for a bit to leave. I find Columbus traffic will often surge right at the top of the hour and lighten a little 15min after. Also be aware of filling the whole lane. Following a left or right of center line can make drivers assume they can use that empty space. Last, make yourself visible and turn your head to look, don't trust the mirrors (also helps driver see your intention to change lanes). To increase you presence, move around on the bike and act aggressive (not stupid but not like a Sunday cruiser rider either). You can also try to link up with other riders in traffic and shadow them to increase you footprint.

Ride your route on Sat or Sunday mornings, just to get the feel of it with less traffic. Dont do the rush hour ride until you are ready, and then when you do, leave extra early to allow your self time, and dont rush your ride. Do it at your pace..and you will do just fine..

I say take your time, be alert and keep your distance. If all else fails, do a couple of burn outs in stopped traffic to get the cagers off the cell phones and paying attention to you being there.

Just saying.

I just had a buddy die Sunday from a cager not seeing him and pulled out in front of him. I just wish people would pay more attention to driving. It is a 2 ton weapon of destruction of families or a 2 ton priviledge of transportation.

Whatever you do, DON'T EVER ASSUME THE CAGERS SEE YOU!!!

Ride Safe.

OhioBob

Watch your bike if you leave it for a long time too. They're easy too steal out in the public when parked for a long time. I use to ride everywhere, but now only recreational because I got sick of the public. I use to come out and random strangers would be sitting on my bikes, taking pictures, or just checking it out. If someone knocks it over, they will not stick around for you, trust me. People think they're little toys and can do whatever they want with them; it's amazing.

Watch your bike if you leave it for a long time too. They're easy too steal out in the public when parked for a long time. I use to ride everywhere, but now only recreational because I got sick of the public. I use to come out and random strangers would be sitting on my bikes, taking pictures, or just checking it out. If someone knocks it over, they will not stick around for you, trust me. People think they're little toys and can do whatever they want with them; it's amazing.

Put a scorpio alarm on it with a pager

That would seriously set me off. Think I'd lose it.

As to the OP, ride like you're invisible!

That would seriously set me off. Think I'd lose it.

As to the OP, ride like you're invisible!

Catching someone messing with my bike would seriously piss me off.

Whenever my bike moves it sends me a text message.

I ripped into a guy back in 2004 at my work for doing this. He couldn't get his leg over the bike and almost knocked it over in our parking lot. I found out from someone else and I confronted him about it and he knew I meant business.

I have used the tricks listed here to start riding a couple time a week to work. Since the way I take to and from work is often congested and crazy in a cage, I have done the following to help make the ride better.

1. I leave early. I find that about 1/2 hour is enough in the morning. I have two routes. If traffic is light, I hit the freeway and all is good. If traffic is heavy, I take a back road route. The trick seems to be getting used to the traffic flow and quicks of both.

2. I do not ride the freeway home at night at all. Too crazy with too many people not paying attention and my exit is extra crazy.

3. The route home took a couple tries to find a good one. Sitting in stop and go 3 cars at a time stop lights sucks! I found a route that is 20 minutes longer distance wise, but I am moving the whole time and have a few curves thrown in as a bonus.

4. I broke down and bought a hi-vis vest to wear. I don't know if it helps, but I have noticed that people don't seem to get as close to me in stop and go since I started wearing it.

Good luck and always be alert!!!!

My first commute on my bike I took the freeway. As I was waiting in backed-up traffic to exit at work a hit-skip driver started a 6-car accident right behind me. I was not in the right position to escape to th eside of the car in front of me, so I had no choice but to hope the smashing would stop before the car behind me was shunted into me.

So I don't commute on the freeway any more. I'll slab it outside of rush-hour, but rush-hour is nothing more than a collective mass of stupidity and inattention with plenty of selfishness thrown in.

I found a backroads commute that would up being only 5 minutes longer. The actual distance is much further but I'm always moving at avg 55mph whereas the freeway is 70-75mph for a few miles then 5 minutes fighting to defend your spot in the exit lane. 4 of those exits = a 25 minute journey becomes 35-40 minutes of stress. Made even more stressful by the vulnerability of being on a bike.

An accident on the freeway can add half an hour to my commute. An accident on the backroads = just take the next parallel road.

Country lane commute = much more relaxing.

Well the deed is done. The ride to work was amazing. Temp like 60 degrees, no cars. Perfect.

Ride home was hot ( 85 ) and lots of traffic but I took backroads. The only bad part was I found that they recently ( like the day before ) paved a higher speed curvy road that I took home. It felt like I was riding on ice and actually felt the bike sliding around which scarred me a lil but in whole the experience was decent and ill be commuting to/from work whenever possible on the bike.

Thanks for the tips and support

Nice! Practice makes uhh......perfect? Just be aware of traffic and debris from ALL angles since you can get really comfortable with riding a particular route to and from work, but conditions change regularly.......there was a big meat-patty remains of a deer on the Interstate this morning when I rode to work......almost went through it, but luckily I ride one side or the other and not down the middle of the lane - so crisis averted with a simple and quick countersteer. Mainly, remember to always ride within your skillset AND line-of-sight........when cars change lanes, I don't ride behind them long before switching only because debris can be kicked up from a car - and you cannot see what's in/on the road ahead with a car in your path.......kudo's for stepping up the riding level!!