Five Arrested for silently dancing at Jefferson Memorial

chevysoldier

WASHINGTON (May 28, 2011) – Police arrested five people at the Jefferson Memorial in Washington D.C. Saturday.

Their crime?

Silent dancing.

Eddie Dickey, 37, was among those arrested. He said police charged him with “dancing in a restricted area” and held him in jail for about 2.5 hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PDhjNF9eUQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://blog.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2011/05/five-arrested-during-first-amendment-protest-at-jefferson-memorial/

I shudder to think of my reaction if a cop walked up to me grabbed my arm and shoved me like he did a couple of those women or If I saw him do that to my wife.

So, they didn't like what the courts ruled about dancing so they decided to do it anyway?? The appropriate battleground is in the court system.

If you wanted to protest the freeway speed limit by arranging a group of cars to do 90mph around 270 then don't be surprised when you all get arrested.

Most likely nobody will get arrested out of it, they will probably take them

to jail and hold them for the legal amount of time they can without charging

them and the let them go. Just because they can :nono:

You don't get taken to jail unless you are arrested. I think you mean they won't get charged.

The courts say that dancing is a form of protest, and protest is apparently not allowed I guess? I thought it sid they were warned in advance that they would be arrested if they did it, but they did it anyway. Obviosuly they did it just to get noticed.

Again, if you are unhappy with a court decision then appeal it. Breaking the law and forcing a confrontation with the police is not the way to correct a court decision you don't agree with.

I believe several firearm laws were changed due to citizens defending their lives in a place they weren't allowed to.

Also' date=' dancing isn't protest. It's called, "having fun". What is this? Russia?[/quote']

0bb3093f.jpg

You don't get taken to jail unless you are arrested. I think you mean they won't get charged.

The courts say that dancing is a form of protest, and protest is apparently not allowed I guess? I thought it sid they were warned in advance that they would be arrested if they did it, but they did it anyway. Obviosuly they did it just to get noticed.

Again, if you are unhappy with a court decision then appeal it. Breaking the law and forcing a confrontation with the police is not the way to correct a court decision you don't agree with.

Ah, towing the police line again I see. How predictable.

Chebby had it right, it's a good thing the civil rights movement had excellent lawyers and filed such stunning briefs that the court system had no choice but to grant equal rights for all.

Non-violent demonstrations (the word protest doesn't apply here, they weren't protesting anything) are free and protected speech on public property. Period.

yeah fight the system using the system...that always seems to work the best. lol

how can you fight a system purposely set up for you to fail?

I can't stand a person in that pretends to love America but will not take a stand for an injustice. that's what our country was founded on and you should be proud to have the right to participate in a protest.

that was a peaceful assembly, they were well within the constitutional rights of every american.

again, fighting a system purposely set up for you to fail.

our country if fucked. by people who wont stand up and have a voice, by people who let corporations run our country and influence our government, cut down our pay and ram their red white and blue dick up our asses.

Edited by serpentracer

Ah, towing the police line again I see. How predictable.

Chebby had it right, it's a good thing the civil rights movement had excellent lawyers and filed such stunning briefs that the court system had no choice but to grant equal rights for all.

Non-violent demonstrations (the word protest doesn't apply here, they weren't protesting anything) are free and protected speech on public property. Period.

I am not toeing the "police" line. Your own prejudice is showing here.

Just explaining the reason that it went down like that. I don't agree than dancing is protest, and I don't agree that protests are apparently illegal. I'm not supporting anyone.

Edited by Scruit

Second protest at Jefferson Memorial

WASHINGTON – (June 4, 2011) – Protesters kept their promise to silently dance at the Jefferson Memorial today.....

It was difficult to determine the number of demonstrators via the live stream, although it was clearly a larger number than the previous week’s group of about a dozen dancers.....

Police stationed officers armed with automatic weapons around the monument prior to the dance.

Protesters representing a variety of leftist and libertarian groups made their way to the memorial to join the dance.

“We don’t care about political boundaries, we care about freedom,” one organizer said.

http://blog.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2011/06/second-protest-at-jefferson-memorial/

It's against the law to video at the Jefferson Memorial? :dunno:

I heard that as well. In fact, most of these civilian police encounter recordings you always hear a police officer saying that it is illegal to film them. They can film us but not vice versa? I remember an audio recording of an open-carry encounter where a cop said the same thing.