Troy, Ohio

VanDy

Thanks for the link, I will most likely head out for a bit tomorrow, I'm taking babysteps since I haven't been on this bike in a year and a half now, took a little stroll this evening for about an hour, didn't do a lot of exploring mainly just 41, 235, and 55, (read: flat, straight, boring lol) but saw a couple of back roads that looked promising, will check them out later, at least I got some more miles in and enjoyed the evening!

and that does sound like a good beer!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Van, If you ride that route dustin posted before we ride, be very very careful on rudy road. They freshly durapatched ( tar with gravel sprayed on top of it) huge sections of it. Its probably not going to be able to be ridden at any amount of speed more than what you would ride down a dirt/gravel road at.

Here's another link

Those are a bit more spread apart, but it's a decent loop... You wanna be careful on Medway/Osborn road down by WPAFB it's usually got some gravel.

And it sounds like Rudy is in rough shape, there's ways around it though...

Edited by dustinsn3485

Also, if you're just feeling lazy...Take 55 up to Urbana from Troy someday. It's a really fun road and not very patrolled...I can't think of a time I've ran the speed limit on it on my bike, usually average 70-80 most of the ways to Urbana.

I'd wager Horseshoe Bend may be soiled up good right now from all the rain and washout off those hills, thems some TIGHT downhill switchbacks so watch your lines there too - other than that and Rudy Rd. all looks good on most the roads you got listed, oldschool - I've backroaded from Piqua to Huber via some of these - I like to throw MartinDale in the mix from Frederick but figured you left it out due to being floodprone - You ever ride out around Greenville Falls area (Covington) thems my old stompin grounds - Sugar Grove Rd west off Rt48 between Pleasant Hill and Covington has some nice scenery too - roads arent great for flying-low, but Falknor Rd (west off 48) still has a long section of handstacked riverstone wall standing since the Civil War if you wanna touch some history while you're out

Oldschool, that's a lot of miles! And I think I can get away for an hour or two in the evenings, I'll be out of town fri/sat, but should be able to get out anytime Sunday or Monday.

Dustin, thanks for the routes! I will def check them out, and thanks for the heads up on taking it easy out there, I'm still gettin my 'feet back under me' but also very very cautiously and s l o w l y, but still feeling out my limits

I'll shoot you both a pm with my number, so feel free to hit me up any time! If nothing else just a meet and greet or something?

Jack A$$ Flats does bike night on Wed. outside of Huber Heights, and there is also a bike night at Wild Hogs outside of West Carrollton but I'm not sure if it's Fri or Thurs. There are a lot of good twisty roads down around Germantown that are great for riding. Germantown is just west of Miamisburg. Some long straight aways too!

I've been invited to JackAss Flats from guys at work, but they're some drinkin' cruiser riders that tend to be off the bike most of the night when I'd rather grab a quick bite-n-soda to go spin more miles - I dont like ro ride with guys that have been drinking, I like sober wingmen - enhances the chances of making it home unscathed. Would definitely dig doing some riding down there though, time is my problem with my daughters softball schedule - gotta make up 4 rainouts!! Ohio weather was absolute anus for a bit - always screwin' with a brutha's schedule.....will get some free days eventually, but for now I'm stuck with commute-only playtime

I've been invited to JackAss Flats from guys at work, but they're some drinkin' cruiser riders that tend to be off the bike most of the night when I'd rather grab a quick bite-n-soda to go spin more miles - I dont like ro ride with guys that have been drinking, I like sober wingmen - enhances the chances of making it home unscathed. Would definitely dig doing some riding down there though, time is my problem with my daughters softball schedule - gotta make up 4 rainouts!! Ohio weather was absolute anus for a bit - always screwin' with a brutha's schedule.....will get some free days eventually, but for now I'm stuck with commute-only playtime

I understand that! I do love riding, and I enjoy drinking, but 1 drink and no bike for me... Never have, never will, and how does Jackass flats take to the sportbike crowd? That has always been a concern of mine

I think its more metric and Harley V2 related - I'm sure there would be "some" sports there though - I rode my last rocket to Gover Harley's open-house here in Piqua.....the ONLY metric there of course, but I didnt catch any shit from anyone, guess I got that big mean bald Harley look about me:D:D

I'd wager Horseshoe Bend may be soiled up good right now from all the rain and washout off those hills, thems some TIGHT downhill switchbacks so watch your lines there too - other than that and Rudy Rd. all looks good on most the roads you got listed, oldschool - I've backroaded from Piqua to Huber via some of these - I like to throw MartinDale in the mix from Frederick but figured you left it out due to being floodprone - You ever ride out around Greenville Falls area (Covington) thems my old stompin grounds - Sugar Grove Rd west off Rt48 between Pleasant Hill and Covington has some nice scenery too - roads arent great for flying-low, but Falknor Rd (west off 48) still has a long section of handstacked riverstone wall standing since the Civil War if you wanna touch some history while you're out

thats all in about a 10-15 mile radius from me. :D thems my stompin grounds! Martindale isnt flooded at the moment, but its not clean. Horsehore bend was pretty good as of last week, and sugar grove has a huge amount of bridge jumpers at the moment, so take it easy around the bridge. The falknor wall is def very cool!

Edited by oldschoolsdime92

I've been seen jumping that same bridge when I was younger:D:D My folks bought the 4 old cabins that used to sit hillside upstream of that bridge - we tore some of them down to repurpose into an old barn we had - I learned to hunt in those woods behind the cemetary there too.......ah, the 80's.....

I've been seen jumping that same bridge when I was younger:D:D My folks bought the 4 old cabins that used to sit hillside upstream of that bridge - we tore some of them down to repurpose into an old barn we had - I learned to hunt in those woods behind the cemetary there too.......ah, the 80's.....

You ever find a Yeti in those woods. My dad used to live in one of those cabins back in the early seventies. True story dad used to scare the shit out of us with it when we were kids.

You ever find a Yeti in those woods. My dad used to live in one of those cabins back in the early seventies. True story dad used to scare the shit out of us with it when we were kids.

I remember hearing about the Yeti around there when I was growing up, something about him living around those cabins and the woods down behind the cemetary? Hunted there for years and never saw him though:(

We used to camp at the Brethren cottage right along the river on the west side -- and if you follow the creek (Painters creek maybe?) upstream between the cottage and the old swimming pool thats filled in by the church bridge, there's an AWESOME place catch HUGE indian craws. We called it the "flats" because it was smooth as concrete and water is only about 2 feet.....my Dad would stand at one end with his seign while Mom and I would run downstream, chasing them right into his net - I remember leaving there with buckets of 'em. He had a good mushroom huntin' spot down there too

Dustinsn3485 and oldschooldime92, care for an easy ride from Troy to Urbana up 55 Thursday evening? Or anybody else?

Wish I could bro, but I'm stuck at work til 4pm and got to be at the ballfields in Sidney by 6:30

Monday after work I'm back at the ballfields by 6pm.......daughter's first 4 games were rained out and we've got 2 more to make up yet. But her last playoff game will be July 15th and then tournaments are the week following -- I'm proud that her team's not losing, but the more they win the more they play and that means less time for me to play.......double-edged sword!!

Since I've been posting ride maps...here's my local ride route for this weekend ;)

Brandt, come on down!

Here it is

Dustinsn3485 and oldschooldime92, care for an easy ride from Troy to Urbana up 55 Thursday evening? Or anybody else?

I'm all done with riding in Ohio, if you make it down to TN at any point lemme know.

Looks like a fun route dustin, Tenn's got some really sweet riding most anywhere in the state by the looks of it ( geographically )

Wife and I pass around the west side of Nashville on our way to Mansfield / Hillsboro area where her folks live -- there's some nice twisties down that way as well.......maybe someday we can move down there, but it's just not in the cards until my daughters grown.

• 2 weeks later...