OSU Coach Jim Tressel RESIGNS!

SWing'R

Considering everything that has occurred on his watch, I am not surprised...

Look, every college team has these issues, every player knows it goes on, every coach, everyone... But, when you are caught and it is a certainty, you cannot pretend to hide it or pretend to not know what you should have done.

Pretty much expected it after the added heat was applied after the fact. He should have resigned when it all came to light that he lied. Would have been a better way to exit...

I think I've been hiding in a hole, because I didn't get the whole story. From what I know, the players broke some rules (ok - sold their rings, recieved gifts, whatever), then a law enforcement agency told him that they were investigating, and he didn't report it to the university. What else is there?

He didn't report it...but then he told the NCAA that he didn't have any knowledge of any rules being broken. And then he said he didn't report it because of "confidentiality" because the info came from a lawyer, which ended up being a lie because he shared the info with someone else.

Basically, he told everyone BUT the NCAA and then lied about it to cover it up.

Llike the quote from 'Matrix'....inevitability Mr Anderson....

Tress was a very good coach between the lines, but was found to be less than that behind the scenes. Too bad, I always had the greatest of respect for this guy, even considering his OSU teams had been beating my Wolverines for so many years.

So, will UMeyers end up as HC??? Where will Tressel re surface???

I had respect for him too...and yeah I'm UM fan #1, but it seemed like he had this smug aura of invincibility around him. I was a JT fan until I watched his press conference "non apology" and saw how he was blatantly ...even the media took him to task on it because it was so obvious.

I hate to see him go like this, but obviously there's MORE coming out that we don't know about yet.

Whats weird is we were back in Michigan visiting and my bro in law's gf is a staunch OSU and Florida fan. We all had been drinking and I mentioned this big issue and ended up telling Patti that when Tressel resigns your first thought will be me telling you it was going to happen. Guess I better not call her.....lol.....but they're without power or much communication due to the tornado that hit Battle Creek and ripped its guts out.

Totally expected. He knew about infractions that made his players ineligible, yet he fielded the ineligible players anyway. Then he signed his name to a document pleading ignorance.

I don't know if he had other options (Don't field the ineligible players? Report them and let them serve a small suspension?) but the combination of choices he made could only have led to losing his job.

Sucks, becuase I've always had respect for him and always heard he was a really good guy. But rules apply to good guys too.

Not being a sports fan, this whole thing confuses me. The college players help make the various universities bazillions of dollars, but if they accept a free ride or a free beer (or sell a ring), suddenly they are pariahs. This sounds like a real deal if you are the college. If you are a player - not so good.

Well, he finally "did the right thing". Too bad the football program, and the University in general now have this big, ugly stain of "cheater" on them. The stain will fade, somewhat, but look at FSU, USC, and others that have been caught with major violations - they are still thought of as cheaters, even though they may have been 'clean' for a while.

Be prepared for a couple of down years as the football program sorts itself out.

Luke Fickell will be a good head coach, imho. Local boy (DeSales), OSU starter, longtime assistant. Too bad that a "name" coach (Urban Meyer, as previously mentioned) will probably get million$ of dollars lavished upon him to take over.

If only AD Gene Smith had been let go, I could be completely good. Something still stinks down on campus, and it's not the Olentangy (although it stinks, too).

Meh, hopefully the yard has dried out enough. Time to fire up the tractor and get some mowing done.

On a side note, I rode up to the cabin at Apple Valley yesterday. Everyone, even H-D riders (which was nearly everyone) waved. Maybe it's the 3 day weekend and everyone's in a good mood?

Not being a sports fan, this whole thing confuses me. The college players help make the various universities bazillions of dollars, but if they accept a free ride or a free beer (or sell a ring), suddenly they are pariahs. This sounds like a real deal if you are the college. If you are a player - not so good.

Not an expert, so correct me if I'm wrong....

College football uses amateur athletes. As soon as a college player makes money from his status as an athlete he becomes a professional athlete and no longer eligible for college football.

Tressel knew that his kids were making money from their athlete status, and he knew that made them ineligible to play. He "should" have benched and/or reported them but chose to allow those ineligible players to play. The lied about it in writing.

We'll be lucky if the whole last season isn't invalidated.

Having gone to OSU I have to say the players are in a huge spot light, some handle it better than others. College football is supposed to be on the same level as Olympic sports with athletes not being paid for performance or status. A hard thing to control given our society and the financial situation of many of the players families.

It will be interesting to see if it's true since other rummers of his leaving were false.

Anybody watch this week's Southpark? Took me awhile to figure out what it was actually about.

www.southparkstudios.com/news/387534/watch-crack-baby-athletic-association-now

Having gone to OSU I have to say the players are in a huge spot light, some handle it better than others. College football is supposed to be on the same level as Olympic sports with athletes not being paid for performance or status. A hard thing to control given our society and the financial situation of many of the players families.

It will be interesting to see if it's true since other rummers of his leaving were false.

It's confirmed. He's gone.

This is just the beginning though....the initial crime is not what did him in. It's the obvious cover up afterwords...and a total lack of remorse on the part of JT. Now...everything is fair game and they'll be digging up everything and anything. SI supposedly has the dirt.

I am sad to see Coach Tressel go, as I stated elsewhere he shouldn't have turned a blind eye to the mistake those players made. As a coach looking out for his players (or as a parent looking out for their kids) you don't want to see them get hurt and/or throw their career down the drain for a stupid mistake...over an even stupider set of NCAA rules...so he covered their asses and the universities ass. I still and always will have the utmost respect for Coach Tressel...and I hope he finds success in his next gig. Don't even get me started on the "5" players though....grr.