Legality issues

Beegreenstrings

Does anyone have a lawyer or married to a lawyer or have a lawyer in the family that they can point me in the direction of. I have some issues I need to get taken care of with a bike sitting at my house.

Long story short. The bike is at my house. The owner has been in jail now for the past 5 years. I have attempted to talk to his dad that just hangs up the phone on me and has changed or disconnected his line now ( I had nothing to do with this ). I just went and picked the bike up. Anyway, I attempted to track the incarcerated individual down so that I could go talk to him, seems he was extrodiated to Arizona after his short stint here in Ohio. :wtf: (insert WTF here)(1st, I had no idea. 2nd, he is a piece of shit)(I have no been told that when he finishes time up in Arizona, chances are he will be traveling to Florida for a little while).

I have had the bike in my garage for sometime now. I either want it out of here (before we move) or I want the title for it. Technically I am not a storage facility. Although, everyone seems to use my garage for that purpose. Next, there were multiple items I was asked to fix, which I did. Now the bike is very ridable. I keep it up just like everything else. I take it out and ride it up and down our road in the sticks every now and then to keep everything in working order.

Like stated, I just want to be able to part ways with it or get the title for it. I am sick of it being useless. If I could get the title for it, Hell I would ride it. Its a beautiful bike. Sits in my garage much longer and it wont be.

Sounds like a catch 22. When the owner gets out you know he will show up someday and want his bike, reguardless of how long he was gone or lien on bike. You've put time and $$$ into the bike and don't wanna lose out. Depending on what sort of asshole the owner is, the lien idea sounds like the best option. Or take the parts and pieces equal to the amount you have invested into it and then surrender it to the police as an abandoned vehicle. Hell, for all you know it was stolen to begin with.

Nope had a sherrif run the VIN on it. Clean.

Excuse me if I dont say too much on the deal. He showed up to get the bike, I told him storage and fees for fixing it he was at 1200.00 (New headlight, turn signals, bars, mirrors, grips and (used wheel) front tire). He got pissed and pushed me out of the way and walked into my garage un-invited... He took a serious as kicking that night and a ride in the sherrifs car.

Have not heard from him since.

Truthfully, If I could get rid of the motor easily I would. Then strip the rest of it down. Just be done with it. But, it's a beautiful bike.

Does anyone know if you have to be a certified mechanic to file the lien?

for something like this, get at least a basic consult from an attorney. or at least talk to your local LEO office about it, or maybe clerk of courts for your county.

I think it's too late for a mechanic's lien. You have 60 days to file for an automobile.

It's abandoned. Talk to the BMV or Title Office about if you can claim it as your own.

Otherwise remove the parts you put on and were not paid for, then leave the bike in his dad's driveway.