Lawmakers, police argue over need for front license plate

chevysoldier

We can save another 1.65m by dropping rear plates too. If the money is the reason, then drop both.

i still don't see why you keep beating this horse. Nobody is complaining about rear plates and this makes a thousand times less sense. We all understand the need to identify different vehicles. We all hate paying for it but in the long run its a good thing so nobody is going to bitch about that

Isaac......the OSP gets an award called the ACE for catching 5 stolen cars, which is displayed on their cruisers. The top award winner is called the Blue Max. They find alot of stolen cars in rest areas, thus why they like to run plates there. aceplate.jpgnew-BM.jpg

We got stopped in my fiances pickup last year. It has a custom choo choo customs bumper, and there is no way in hell I am drilling it for a plate either. Fucktard Fayette county sherrif. Must have been a slow day for him. Chased us up 71 for what he said was miles!!! I just got on in Jeffersonville? Dick!

i still don't see why you keep beating this horse. Nobody is complaining about rear plates and this makes a thousand times less sense. We all understand the need to identify different vehicles. We all hate paying for it but in the long run its a good thing so nobody is going to bitch about that

Trying to classify the diffrerent objections that people have. For some it is financial, for some it's aesthetic. Some don't want to drill into their bumpers and some don't want the eeeeevil gubment to be able to know they exist.

Financial: Use printed plastic plates insteads, front and back.

Aesthetic: Rear plates are ugly too. What difference does it make?

Drilling bumpers: You can get mounts that don't drill into the front of the bumper. And why do I see so many foreign front plates and non-license-plate lates there instead. So people are ok drilling their bumper to put a "In Memory of #3" 'license plate' but if the plate is issued by the state then suddnely it's a problem.

Gubment: Sorry, but the general public has a safety interest in being able to track down cars that are involved in crimes. You're not going to get away from that.

Trying to classify the diffrerent objections that people have. For some it is financial, for some it's aesthetic. Some don't want to drill into their bumpers and some don't want the eeeeevil gubment to be able to know they exist.

Financial: Use printed plastic plates insteads, front and back.

Aesthetic: Rear plates are ugly too. What difference does it make?

Drilling bumpers: You can get mounts that don't drill into the front of the bumper. And why do I see so many foreign front plates and non-license-plate lates there instead. So people are ok drilling their bumper to put a "In Memory of #3" 'license plate' but if the plate is issued by the state then suddnely it's a problem.

Gubment: Sorry, but the general public has a safety interest in being able to track down cars that are involved in crimes. You're not going to get away from that.

Financial: Bet you that plastic doesnt cut down on the cost much at all still having 2 plates

Aesthetic: Rear plates really aren't ugly. EVERY vehicle has a recessed area for a license plate that blends into the rear whereas with the front this is not always the case. It also stands out like a sore fucking thumb on the front.

Drilling: Ever used one of those mounts? Complete shit designs and my plate flew off twice trying to use one. Not to mention the ones with the vanity plates on the front well they wouldn't really care about this argument would they so thats null and void

Gubment: Again, I think everyone would agree that having ONE plate is sufficient for them to track and do their thing. As stated many many times a ton of other states only issue 1 plate and they seem to do just fine

So yet again, this whole "if we get rid of the front might as well get rid of the back" thing you're doing to prove you're point really makes about as much sense as shoving your dick in a hot tub jet. Sure it sounds nice, but in the end you're not gonna be happy when you realize how wrong that idea was :D

Do you have a drunken story to tell about the hot tub thing?

I don't agree that one plate is sufficient to allow for easy identification of vehicles. Just my opinion. I have no problem with the front plate and I would have no problem paying extra to buy the physical plate to close that 1.65m gap. Or remove them. I'm easy.

again, is there ANY empirical evidence that front plates help catch more criminals, or is it just your opinion?

no literally...i could give a shit. A nice steamy heaping pile of shit on governments door step
Then FZRMatt would have to arrest you for shit-talking out of your ass. :eek:

It's only a crime if I actually see him take said shit in public, or if he puts it in the mail box. The mail box I can't do anything about (it's federal).:D

another thought...

if it really is such a "public safety issue" then why arent they out there pushing for a law to require the 400,000 ohio vehicles that only have a rear plate (motorcycles) to get a front plate too?

another thought...

if it really is such a "public safety issue" then why arent they out there pushing for a law to require the 400,000 ohio vehicles that only have a rear plate (motorcycles) to get a front plate too?

Good question. Should be easy to mount a small plate on the front. I'll take your concerns to my congressman. We'll call it "John's Law"

I'm curious...having a front plate makes it possible to locate people without having to 'flip' on every vehicle? Hhhmmm...when you get your BOLO popping up on your computer screen, don't you have more than just a plate number? Given this, do you not instinctually pick out vehicles matching the description by their year, make, model, and color FIRST? Then you might start looking at a plate once a generally matching one is found.

It's like getting a BOLO on a person. Sure you have their name, but do you go around asking every person you see their name or make them all show you their ID? No, you start by matching the easiest things to narrow down your search first. Sex, weight, appearance, features, etc. The same goes for vehicles, does it not?

I'm not exactly buying into the thought that front plates really help with catching rapists, murderers, etc.

Just sayin'.

Nothing "pops up" on the computer. Usually if there is a BOLO, it is read by the dispatcher over the radio one time during the shift it was received. If it happens to be read during 1 of the 14 hours that I don't work in the day, or on my 3 days off, I don't get the information. If I am lucky, I may catch another officer discussing it before roll call starts. If I do catch that conversation it usually goes something like this: "Smoke is said to be hiding out on 2 precinct. I was told he is driving his sisters dark color Camry but I don't have a tag number. His sister's name is _____."

It turned out that he was. "Smoke" had warrants for multiple murders and was stopped in a head on traffic stop (nose to nose). This is the most dangerous traffic stop an officer will ever make. Had the officer not been able to air the front tag information and get back up, "Smoke" may have been able to use the loaded 9mm he had sitting on the seat next to him to commit another murder.

simple way to end this argument:

"we need to cut $xx,xxx,xxx next year, and we'd like the police to decide whether or not that money should come out of front license plates, or by laying off law enforcement officers."

Don't worry, SB5 is already doing that for you.

Nothing "pops up" on the computer. Usually if there is a BOLO, it is read by the dispatcher over the radio one time during the shift it was received. If it happens to be read during 1 of the 14 hours that I don't work in the day, or on my 3 days off, I don't get the information. If I am lucky, I may catch another officer discussing it before roll call starts. If I do catch that conversation it usually goes something like this: "Smoke is said to be hiding out on 2 precinct. I was told he is driving his sisters dark color Camry but I don't have a tag number. His sister's name is _____."

It turned out that he was. "Smoke" had warrants for multiple murders and was stopped in a head on traffic stop (nose to nose). This is the most dangerous traffic stop an officer will ever make. Had the officer not been able to air the front tag information and get back up, "Smoke" may have been able to use the loaded 9mm he had sitting on the seat next to him to commit another murder.

Okay, so the front plate did not play any significant part in the initial stop of the suspect vehicle. I'm also guessing that if the suspect was BOLO'd as armed and dangerous the officer making the head on stop did not call out a plate number on the vehicle. He more than like went into action, calling out for backup on a suspect vehicle matching a description.

Sorry, but I'm still not seeing this from an officers point of view on how the front plate is really that helpful.

I've been pulled over several times in the past for not having a front plate. Only had to pay one ticket over it. Several of my friends and even my 73 year old mother have gotten tickets for not having a front plate.

I say get rid of them!