Deals Gap Trip Oct. 9-13

4DAIVI PAI2K5

Yes, I've been on them. Was on Route 28 about 3 weeks ago - northern part is repaved but it's the same old shit down to Highlands, NC. So I'd stay north of Franklin, NC on 28.

I try to stay off of 441; too much traffic heading to Gatlinburg. It's a decent road, just too crowded, too many cops, park rangers, etc.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay eric Ive never been there either but have a friend that has many many time he found out I was going and sent me this email of routes to hit , what do you think of these ... copy and paste

[Off 129 north of the gap there is a road called Happy Valley road. Take that east up to the Foothills parkway. Take the parkway east to the end. Take 73/321 to 441 (Smoky Mountain Pkwy) Take that south towards Cherokee, NC. Half way through the pkwy there is a road that goes to the right called Clingmans Dome Road. This will take you up to one of the highest points. When you get to the end of the road there is a path about .5 miles long that you have to walk up. If it is a clear day you can see for miles from the dome. If it is cloudy, don't waste your time. After you pass the visitors center on the way out of the park the Blue Ridge Pkwy goes to the east. That is a fun road with nice sweepers. You can take that all the way to 74. Take 74 south or west all the way to 28 north. Take 28 north back to Deals Gap.

Another good ride will be 28 from Deals gap south into Franklin. Go west on 64 to Patton Road. Go north to Wayah Road (1442). This road will come out onto 19/74 about 10 miles east of Robbinsville. I have seen several bikes go down on this road so you must be careful. It is a fun road but some of the corners will have gravel washed up from the trucks taking the corners to sharp and kicking it onto the road. Right there where it comes out at 19 is one of the white water rafting put ins for the Nantahala River. You go west just a couple miles and take 129 back to the gap by way of the dam.

Another good one would be from the gap go south on 129 to 143. Take that to the right, this is another road that many bikes have gone down on. It turns into 165 when you go into Tenn. but it is still the Cherohala Skyway. Take this all the way to Tellico Plains. Go right up to 411 and take 411 to the right to 72. Take 72 to 129 back up the gap.

One more, 129 south to 74. Left to Wayah Road. Wayah Road to 64 in Franklin. 64 will join up with 28. Take that into Highlands. Stay on 28 south into Pine Mountain, GA. Take Warwoman Road to the right to 441/23. Go north to 246 which will turn into 106. Take that into Highlands and then get on 64 east through Cashiers to 281. Take 281 north to 107. Right on 107 to 441. Take 441/74 west, stay on 74 to 28 north back to the gap.

There are so many more roads that could be hit by going just a little more east but these are all long rides and will wear you out.]

Happy Valley is pretty damned narrow, no lines and full of potholes and crap. Still, if it was in Ohio, we'd flock to it. It parallels teh Foothills Parkway - just on the other side of the valley from it. Although the Parkway has a 45 mph limit, it's rarely patrolled and is a great ride. Just don't go crazy on it.

Route 28 we've already discussed.

The Cherohala Skyway isn't all that bad, but it's kinda straight and is heavily patrolled - especially on the Tennessee side. Nto my favorite road down there, but it does have some good views from up high. The elevation gets up to about 6,200' or so.

The route he describes out of Highlands is good, but there'sa better route with less traffic on it that takes you back towards Cherokee, NC. It kind of loops counterclockwise whereas his route goes clockwise. Both are good though.

Highlands is best avoided on weekends. It's a narrow as shit road road that is clogged with cars and campers. Highlands is very touristy and draws a lot of traffic.

If anyone is interested, we can go to War Woman Road in Highalnds and then go down to The Loop in jnorther Georgia. It's a long ass ride though and we';d get back after dark. Still, some good raods down there as well; Blood Mountain, etc.

Blood Mtn is also on Rt.129 - only in Georgia. It's fairly curvy but what makes it cool is that the uphill lanes are two lanes wide while the downhill side is one lane wide. With teh two lane wide sections, you can generate some huge corner speed by using both lanes.

Plus, the road is smooth as a baby's ass. It rocks, big time. But they do have a few po-po hanging out in the area on the weekends.

Part of The Loop takes you over to TWO where you can eat, hang out on the porch with drinks, etc. Nice place when it's not too busy.

I'm heading down to TN / NC / GA next Wednesday for 4-5 days. I'll have to come back home to get another set of tires mounted for our trip down on the 9th. Should be fun!

Will let you know if I find any new roads (kinda doubt it).

It's kinda far out, but right now, next weekend looks pretty shitty with 60% chance of rain. Bummer.

I'll still head down there for a few days, but if iot rains like a bitch I'll becoming home early.

Probably leave Wednesday morning so that I can get there by noon and get in some riding for the day....unless it rains.

:(