Taken out by a Kia Sportage

AOW

6/8/11 Coming down the home stretch to my front door from San Francisco about 20 miles from home... Young gal decided that my lane was much more desirable and made the non signaled lane change into me.

I did the perfect emergency braking procedure, but when the left side of her SUV ran into the right side of me, I kinda let go of the brakes.

She continued the lane change not noticing she made contact. Bike is now in the death wobble and going down fast. Once me and the bike are about 6" from laying on the ground, I push the bike away and begin my independent back slide followed by about 20 side to side rolls down the road.

Gal was really upset, about 10 cars pull over. Turns out that me and the bike hit a pick up truck on the way down when I ricocheted off the Kia.

An off duty Sheriff on his Reposado pulls over and offers aid. aka keep me from jumping up too fast. Great guy, saw the entire thing play out from about 20' behind me. Couldn't pay for a better witness! The gal (Becky), is a rider and I had to console her to get her calmed down enough to give her statement to the LEOs.

Accident happened about 2 miles from the local HD dealer. CHiP asked me if I want the bike towed, I look at him, walk over to the now uprighted bike, shut it off, wait a minute or two, turn it on, and started right up!

Wouldn't hold an idle though, most likely due to the Thundermax not liking the new modded exhaust. Shut it down, for 30 seconds or so, then she started up and held idle!

I rode her home, minus rear brake pedal (ripped off frame rail), bars pushed back about 3" and pinched together about the same (much more comfortable though)

All painted parts need replaced, all pegs, heated grips (that I had replaced under warranty about 2 months ago) passenger pillion, 2:1 Wicked-line exhaust, mirrors, all signals including lenses,... But the engine brought me home at 90mph

Shoei RF-1100 helmet: $500

Fieldsheer textile jacket $300

Firstgear textile pants: $150

Icon Timax shorty gloves: $180

Sidi Canyon Gortex boots: $300

Riding my bike home after getting hit by an SUV and doing an asphalt tuck & roll & slide for 20 yards... PRICELE$$

PIX HERE!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

glad youre ok! you woulda got jacked up without the gear....good thing youre not the typical HD rider lol

also, i wouldnt bet on anything being replaced on the bike...if you intend to get another one, ide start stripping any aftermarket parts off of it that you can that are still good and able to be used on the next one......frame damage is almost always a totaled bike....i saw a bike get totaled for a couple tiny scratches on the frame, way less than what you got there

Wow. Sucks dude. You seem unscathed though -- good choice on wearing the gear that day so you'll live to ride another day. :cheers:

ATGATT each and EVERY day! Even when it's triple digit temps, I ATGATT. It's one of the only positive lessons OH taught me.

Glad to see you're ok!

Now for the bike, it's nothing a little duck tape, zip ties, and a rattle can can't fix! :lol:

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that insurance would total the bike, especially after seeing the scrapes on the frame.

I was out in the garage tonight and checking over the frame. Not pretty, not pretty at all. The section where the rear brake attaches is a bolt on and designed to fail, but the mounts at the passenger pegs show cracking. Part of me wants it totalled, (been drooling over K bikes for as long as I can remember), other part of me wants to buy it back if it's totalled and rebuild.

ATGATT folks.... anything else is just fucking stupidity

The Koreans strike again!!!

Jbot will pray to his ancestors for moar future victoriez!!!

Kidding aside. you think the bike is toast? We all know how insurance companies are with bikes.