She's Gone - Liberty Belle

ReconRat

I checked the tail number, it's the Liberty Belle we took pictures of motorcycles with.

Goodbye old girl, It's sad to see you go.

Everyone got out ok, it had an airborne fire, and landed in a farmer's field.

Photos in Denver Post

dp133740.sJPG_900_540_0_95_1_50_50.sJPG?1308031153

picture.php?albumid=521&pictureid=5313

061311_b1701.sJPG_900_540_0_95_1_50_50.sJPG?1308031153

Edited by ReconRat

I have to admit, I immediately assumed this was about the track being built in Philly, and I was more upset then.

My grandfather was a bombardier on a B17. I vaguely recall his story about being shot down during WWII.

That is beyond depressing...that is one of those pictures that I look at often and a story I love to tell.

It's your av picture too. I always loved the B17 from making models of them when I was a kid.

If nothing else, looks like some of the parts can go to keep other B17s in the air. How many are left? :( Not many.

It's your av picture too. I always loved the B17 from making models of them when I was a kid.

If nothing else, looks like some of the parts can go to keep other B17s in the air. How many are left? :( Not many.

I just saw a stat that we're now down to 11 airworthy. There's a restoration going on at Grimes Urbana to make another flyer.

The Liberty Belle's main door was a piece of history in it's own right - autographs from vets all over it.