Fuel Economy

Jst2fst

Ok, so I'm heading out west for a bit and my buddy and I are gonna be on the bikes a lot. Noting set in stone yet but he wants to go from Seattle to San Diego. I checked out the miles and it like 1270 one way. What I'm wanting to know is the people that have or had a 03-04 cbr600rr what were you averaging on your fuel economy. I've been averaging 130-140 a tank between city/hwy riding at a comfortable pace. I checked out 600rr forums and it seems to be the same. I did however see a few guys say they were getting 150-170 using high gears and low RPM's. Is that really possibly to stretch out the fuel in the bikes that much. Yes, I know I have a sport bike and not a sport touring and were trying to run them as such. Thanks for the help

damn thats real good. I only was able to get 120 out of my 05 but that was partially due to the gearing change

Yea, she's stock for the time being I like the mileage but for the trip I'm gonna need more.

You can definitely gear up and get better mileage. You can also have it tuned for less power/better fuel economy.

I usually stay in 4th on the hwy gear no need to go higher but I can get 5th-6th gear a workout. I'll try the method to where I don't have to put money into it for now. Any clue how much this will improve or just a trial and error thing?

Yea, she's stock for the time being I like the mileage but for the trip I'm gonna need more.

I usually stay in 4th on the hwy gear no need to go higher but I can get 5th-6th gear a workout. I'll try the method to where I don't have to put money into it for now. Any clue how much this will improve or just a trial and error thing?

4th on the highway??? Why?

Inflate tires to 80psi f/r.

Sure, the ride'll be harsh and handling will be off, but mileage will be better.

j/k. don't do this, recommended is 34/36. you can go a little higher and be safe if you're just slabbing it.

Exactly! Poor bike.

I could easily get 150 with low rpms and no hard acceleration. I'm +2 in the back now and get more around 120s.

4th gear at highway speeds isn't going to hurt the bike. Unless you see it overheating, there is no NEED to up-shift other than less noise and better economy.

My '03 gets run between 8k and 15k all day at the track. As long as you keep wind moving through the radiator, the bike won't flinch.

4th gear at highway speeds isn't going to hurt the bike. Unless you see it overheating, there is no NEED to up-shift other than less noise and better economy.

My '03 gets run between 8k and 15k all day at the track. As long as you keep wind moving through the radiator, the bike won't flinch.

^^^This.I saw no reason to go high than 4th but I see no reason why I can't change that. Some good info and I will try it to see how things work out. I I can get 170 or more that world be awesome on fuel out west round and back to Seattle. Any more suggestion im open to try all thaï are reasonable to try.

I realize that. No NEED to run in 4th on the freeway.

shit i use to run in 6th in 45mph zones to save on gas :lol:

That what I do too lol, anytime I get to cruising speed I put it in 6th because I don't need the instant acceleration and it gets way better gas milage.

Doesn't anyone know how to divide, to get accurate mpg? 120, 130,150 miles/tank is all relative isn't it? Not all tanks are the same size

Me personally, I get between 38-42 mpg. Don't ALWAYS go straight to 6th on the highway. Nice to have the power on tap when needed

That what I do too lol, anytime I get to cruising speed I put it in 6th because I don't need the instant acceleration and it gets way better gas milage.

get a 600 with a sprocket change and you'll still have all the acceleration you need in 6th

Nice to have the power on tap when needed

downshifting is quick and easy :D

Seemed like a decent gear to be in rpm stay fairly low 7-8. Why wrong gear?

WTF? That would get annoying as shit, don't the bars buzz a bit at that speed?

My slackass big-V turns 4500 rpm at 80 mph, that's with -1 front, +2 rear....

:)

are you looking to get better gas mileage so you do have to stop as much or to save money? You only have a 4 gal tank so you wont save that much money. just wondering, have fun on your ride out there and be safe

Looking for both save some money and increase mileage if its only be a few I'll take it. My tank is 5 gallons and I'm getting that mileage before I hit reserve on the tank. Plan on having a safe and enjoyable vacation. Just don't wanna have to worry to much about fuel.

I'm less than easy on it, and I run close to 80 on the freeway to work and back, and it's an 04, probably could use a carb cleaning. I'm not complaining about 50+ MPG, actually.

Be nice if I could get that kind of mileage. maybe with some later tweeks to the bike I'll be able to come close to that.

WTF? That would get annoying as shit, don't the bars buzz a bit at that speed?

My slackass big-V turns 4500 rpm at 80 mph, that's with -1 front, +2 rear....

:)

Engine sounds fine and for being stock, I like being able to have some power while on the hwy to get away from asshats. Average speed is like 70-75