Fuel Economy

Jst2fst

I know it's not a CBR, but my '94 FZR can get 200 (about 51 mpg) miles to a tank if I take it easy. I am good for 160 - 170 before flipping to reserve if i am running it a little harder.

Doesn't anyone know how to divide, to get accurate mpg? 120, 130,150 miles/tank is all relative isn't it? Not all tanks are the same size

Me personally, I get between 38-42 mpg. Don't ALWAYS go straight to 6th on the highway. Nice to have the power on tap when needed

How do you not have power on tap at highway speed in 6th gear? At 75 mph I'm right in the middle of the RPM range (about 6k RPM) and just getting back into the meat of the power. With the twist of the wrist I'm at 1.85$ standing on the pegs flapping my arms like some kind of wounded chicken.:D

• Upvote 2

How do you not have power on tap at highway speed in 6th gear? At 75 mph I'm right in the middle of the RPM range (about 6k RPM) and just getting back into the meat of the power. With the twist of the wrist I'm at 1.85$ standing on the pegs flapping my arms like some kind of wounded chicken.:D

:lol:

Engine sounds fine and for being stock, I like being able to have some power while on the hwy to get away from asshats. Average speed is like 70-75

Fair enough, with my gearing and type of engine, getaway power is just a twist of the wrist away, I'm only 1500 rpm away from peak torque at that speed. Lol

How do you not have power on tap at highway speed in 6th gear? At 75 mph I'm right in the middle of the RPM range (about 6k RPM) and just getting back into the meat of the power.

You can't compare your older FZR to the newer bikes. First, the older bikes didn't rev nearly as high to make peak power. I'm guessing the FZR peak power is around 11k? The new motors make peak power at close to 16k.

Also, the gearbox is totally different. Our gearboxes, my Mille included, use a standard ratio whereas newer bikes use a close ratio box. The difference in gearing means in 6th gear on the highway where you and I might be right near the start of our power curve, these guys have thousands of rpm to go before starting to climb up the same curve, usually necessitating a downshift or two to get there faster.

You damn kids and your 80 mph 1st gear ratios...

...With the twist of the wrist I'm at 1.85$ standing on the pegs flapping my arms like some kind of wounded chicken.:D

Cops are doing this now? :eek:

Sweet. :bow:

...quoted for future IAD inquiry...:D

IF you need "more power on tap" on the freeway...you aren't paying attention.

I'm paying attention its the distracted driver that worries me. I've had people just merge into my lane and having the added power helps to getaway. Yes, you'll still have power in 6th but not the acceleration that your hoping its gonna be.

I don't know much I get because I almost always fill up around 120mi. I'm not sure a gas station will be around after that distance. So how many gallons are you using? I got 38mpg with about 0.5gal of bad gas, and 3gal of 89 octane out of my '03.

If you want fuel efficiency, you trade performance. I am in 6th always on the freeway in the 7-7.5k rpm range, and on city streets I keep it at 5-6k rpm to keep the stator charging, thats my only requirement. A downshift or two is a at most a second away, then I have plenty of power. Besides, my first instinct in dealing with distracted drivers is not acceleration. I would think a quick flick and deceleration would be safer.

If you want better fuel efficiency, jack up the tire pressure a few psi (you can get harder tires too, but thats at a limiting returns probably), ride lower in the rmm range, dont accelerate hard etc. Basically, take away anything you desired when getting the bike. The double R doesn't stand for fuel economy or commuting, so you are pretty much stuck where you are at.

Just trade in for one of these flying couches I ride - onboard fuel mileage calculator shows I can be comfy while holding steady easily around 110-120 and still manage 35-37mpg (indicated) at around 7-7.5k in 6th gear. At 80 the ZX14's about 4-4.5k at 37-39mpg (indicated) - at 80 in 6th, getting good draft from a leadfooter, and it runs about 45-48mpg (indicated):D:D - not sure how accurate the calculators are, especially when you play with gearing/mapping but relative enough to know its a bit of a trade off between cc's/mpg's/gear ratio's/fuel capacity.......I get the sames miles to a tank, but not as good of mileage compared to a small caliber bike - but sportbikes are built to burn shit up......fuel, tires, and roads - so dont worry about saving some gas money or going further on a gallon - if thats your primary concern, put a 10 tooth on the rear idle across the country! :D:D:D:D Have a safe trip man!!

Sure I do, but it's only when I'm riding my bad ass super trick Suzuki Ninja 250!:cool:

I detect some jealousy...

I'm at about 180 miles on this tank. I was SURE I would hit reserve on the way home, but I didn't! I'll fill it up in the morning (or the following, depending on the rain) and calculate my MPG's.

Also, to the OP, I would encourage you to get out and ride in the rain on the freeway, on purpose some more before heading out on that trip. I know you weren't very comfortable riding in the rain on the photo hunt, and the chances are good that you will hit rain while out on your trip. It took me a while to get comfortable riding in heavy rain, and even still I don't corner very hard in the rain (not saying that I do on the dry roads either.)

You're miles per gallon on the highway may change significantly based on your average speed. I can get 45 - 50 mpg (indicated) at 80 -90mph, but at 55 - 60 mph I get 5 - 10 mpg less. And based on my experience I can get an extra 50+ miles out of a tank when it's just highway. Of course, my fuel tank is approximately five and a half gallons, so you might only get 40 miles extra.

• 5 weeks later...

Stock gearing on the highway (running 70mph) my R6 did better in 5th gear. I squeaked 48mpg out of it once. After the gear swap it didnt make a difference, 39 mpg no matter what.

I'm perfectly fine with a consistant 50 mpg on the flying couch.

Just giving you shit. I'm glad you had a good time

Oh, I know that. Having some fun out west has been a blast for the most part. Gonna head to the airport in a few hours 5 am flight here :nono: