the lesser of two evils

shittygsxr

I've never been a gun person, but after being on this forum people make the thought of carrying a little more intriguing. I'll probably pick one up in a few months. Personal insurance I suppose.

Shitty, Give me a call anytime. Id be more than willing to go shopping with you and give advice, take you to the range for some lessons, or answer any questions you may have.

Way to go on helping that guy out.

How far out of columbus do you live now? I'll hook up with you after I get back from columbia. Their hoods make the hood in columbus look like new albany.

How far out of columbus do you live now? I'll hook up with you after I get back from columbia. Their hoods make the hood in columbus look like new albany.

Im still in the same place I was when we tried to move those rolling racks in my place but they didnt fit. Havent moved yet.

Feel free to get ahold of me when you get back and we will figure something out.

dam you guys! i've been tossing it around for a while now, and i think this story may have convinced me as well. bastards shouldn't do shit like that.

good job shitty.

i don't live near any of you though, so what would be another way to check out some different types of guns? i don't want anything big, i don't have an ego problem. smaller the better actually, for concealed comfortable carry if that's possible.

dam you guys! i've been tossing it around for a while now, and i think this story may have convinced me as well. bastards shouldn't do shit like that.

good job shitty.

i don't live near any of you though, so what would be another way to check out some different types of guns? i don't want anything big, i don't have an ego problem. smaller the better actually, for concealed comfortable carry if that's possible.

Find a good mentor to show you the ropes that is the easiest way.

Good job stopping to help.

To play devil's advocate: What would you have done if you had a gun in that situation? Shot first? Waited til they fired? Pulled it if they didn't run off? Killed someone? Been killed?

Once you pull a gun: you use it, and someone dies. And if you aren't ready for every situation you have your gun to play out exactly like that, leave it at the store.

Guns aren't deterrents (as much as we all want to think that, myself included). They don't stop a situation from occurring, they end them. Violently.

Not to get to heavy, but it sounds like you've got a little hero adrenaline rush right now. Cease fire on that one. When you pull a gun it's not going to play out like a John Wayne movie. Just make sure that's not why you want a gun, so you can live out a scene from "Tombstone."

You did the right thing, and you probably saved that guys life. Good job.

Guns aren't deterrents (as much as we all want to think that, myself included). They don't stop a situation from occurring, they end them. Violently.

I disagree with this as blanket statement. Does it happen? Absolutely. But I have been in a few situations where the presence of a handgun actually de-escalated violence. Lucky for me 2 of these included an off duty police officer buddy

Good job stopping to help.

To play devil's advocate: What would you have done if you had a gun in that situation? Shot first? Waited til they fired? Pulled it if they didn't run off? Killed someone? Been killed?

Once you pull a gun: you use it, and someone dies. And if you aren't ready for every situation you have your gun to play out exactly like that, leave it at the store.

Not to get to heavy, but it sounds like you've got a little hero adrenaline rush right now. Cease fire on that one. When you pull a gun it's not going to play out like a John Wayne movie. Just make sure that's not why you want a gun, so you can live out a scene from "Tombstone."

You did the right thing, and you probably saved that guys life. Good job.

I can appreciate your personal opinion but I can tell you for a fact that by reading what you posted above in bold that you have zero knowledge of what youre talking about!!! And Im guessing even less experience with firearms.

flounder - what part do you disagree about? im under the thinking that a gun should never be drawn unless you intend to use it. im not big on drawing and brandishing it as a means to try and deescalate a situation...if im in enough fear for my life that i feel the need to draw my gun, i will be firing it...drawing a gun with no intent to fire is a good way to get yourself shot by the person youre trying to scare

not to say your opinion is wrong, and i know you have a thousand times more experience with firearms than i do, i just want to know why you disagree with his statements?

flounder - what part do you disagree about? im under the thinking that a gun should never be drawn unless you intend to use it. im not big on drawing and brandishing it as a means to try and deescalate a situation...if im in enough fear for my life that i feel the need to draw my gun, i will be firing it...drawing a gun with no intent to fire is a good way to get yourself shot by the person youre trying to scare

not to say your opinion is wrong, and i know you have a thousand times more experience with firearms than i do, i just want to know why you disagree with his statements?

My reason is as follows.

I agree, dont draw your firearm unless your life is in danger but at the point you draw, the situation changes and the attacker may retreat which is obviously better then having to fire on them. I have been in this situation before. Firearms can be deterrents but should not be used as if it will actually be a deterrent.

Dorifto seems to think that guns whenever around will automatically kill someone. Oh my god, there is a gun in a locked case in your house, you know guns kill people and you should probably get rid of it before it jumps out of the box, runs through the house and kills everything in site. Its the standard uninformed, ignorant mindset that all anti gun people have and it frustrates me to no end.

Edited by flounder

I agree, dont draw your firearm unless your life is in danger but at the point you draw, the situation changes and the attacker may retreat which is obviously better then having to fire on them. I have been in this situation before. Firearms can be deterrents but should not be used as if it will actually be a deterrent.

this makes much more sense...i get it now

Totally agree. Drawing a weapon is a completely new scenario, with potentially unexpected results.

But in general, I believe that presenting a weapon with intent will cause most opponents to flee or surrender, even if armed. But there are always exceptions to every rule.