Price Negotiation on CL

Mykill

How do you guys negotiate? Usually I throw my price without seeing the bike and if the accept I go look at it. I am looking at a SV this week and havent thrown my lowball yet and was going to negotiate on scene. Advice?

I ignore people like you- or I give back a price higher than what I was originally asking.

I negotiate face to face.

Ive gotten 2 great deals previous way. I figure why waste mine and their time looking at it if Im not paying their asking.

Usually...when i'm looking to buy something off Cl. When it comes to vehicles i look for a bike or a car a little out of my price range. No more than 2-300$. I call about said item...ask details about it, etc, etc. Then i ask what they're looking to get out the vehicle...or what the lowest they would take would be. That way, if only have a certain amount of money i don't waste my time or the sellers by showing up with less than an acceptable amount.

I never flat out make an offer unless it's in person, but i try to at least get a ballpark figure of what it would take to own the vehicle beforehand.

A personal pet peeve of mine. On CL if sellers do not have a phone number i don't even bother contacting them.

To each their own.

A personal pet peeve of mine. On CL if sellers do not have a phone number i don't even bother contacting them.

To each their own.

That's funny, if they say call or text only, I'm not as likely to contact them! To each their own, I suppose.

I negotiate all day for a living. If someone doesn't want to make the effort in coming to look at your vehicle your selling in person typically no matter how much of a discount you give them they wont show. If you go in person be prepared to walk away empty handed. The more intrested you show the higher chances you wont get a discount unless the seller is desperate.

Everytime I've bought anything I've got a discount no matter if their original prices were "firm"

Edited by Carwhore

To each their own.

I hate this as well. If you want to sell something you need to list a number and I'm going to call.

I don't put my number out there until I get an email from you that makes me believe you have read my ad. "I'm interested in the item" = fuck off. "Who makes the heated grips you installed?" = Human who read the ad.

I don't mind email negotiation. I actually prefer it. Much less stress. I already have a rock bottom price and won't go below that. Email negitiations won't change that. The seller can be a hardass if he gets a lot of responses, and the buyer can be a hardass if there's a dozen for him to choose from. I don't think email negotiations give either side an unfair advatange.

Price negotiations in email are not binding. If you get there and want to change your mind then either of you can walk away. Although if you offer less than we agreed in email then you'd better have a DAMN good reason, such as highlighting a fault that I didn't know about and hadn't accounted for in the price.

Edited by Scruit

Nothing pisses me off more than when people ask, "whats the lowest you would go", in an email, without even looking at it.

Now, Come look at what i'm selling, find the flaws and what not, then we'll negotiate. Anytime someone starts off with asking that question, I tell them 500 more than i was asking in the ad.

The responses are all opposite which is why I posted this to get different insight...I find interesting how some of the answers a complete opposites.

(side not emailed him my offer he countered a touch higher so I am going to meet him and check it out. Using both methods :D)

:popcorn:

Ive gotten 2 great deals previous way. I figure why waste mine and their time looking at it if Im not paying their asking.

That's what I do. I'll negotiate over email or txt (so I have it in writing and can refer back to it later), and then settle on a price before i go look at it. If everyone was in the up-and-up and the condition was truthfully represented as they say it is, then I hand over the cash, test ride it, and they sign the title over.

Sellers always list high so they have room to negotiate. I just sold my bike on CL - listed it here for 2500 and got no takers. Listed it it on CL for 3500 and after negotiations with the buyer we got to 2500. Which is exactly what I wanted for it in the first place. Just enough to pay off the medical bills for my broken nose.

i always ask whats wrong with the stuff and gauge how much i think it is worth before i go out, i get that much money and put it my pocket, i also get a little extra incase it is in better condition than i though and put that in my wallet. i usually have a total amount equal to the asking price but i do not make any offers until i see the item in person because if you tell them what you are offering over the phone they are more likely to turn you down as opposed to in person because they see the cash in front of them and you can pick out things that you think should lower the price like balding tires, scratches and other things.

It's funny how different people see CL. I never put my phone # in a CL ad and I try to do everything through e-mail unless the buyer/seller requests to speak on the phone.

I will say, you meet the weirdest people through CL... Almost as bad as riding a gray hound bus.

How do you guys negotiate? Usually I throw my price without seeing the bike and if the accept I go look at it. I am looking at a SV this week and havent thrown my lowball yet and was going to negotiate on scene. Advice?

this is what I do and its worked me into a couple good deals

i negotiate price through email and i ask sellers to be very descriptive so theres no surprises...if im selling i make sure to tell all the flaws so they know what to expect

i dont like being lowballed in person, its a waste of my time...if i want 1500 firm for something, i dont wanna go out of my way for an 800 dollar offer

if someone says something is "Like New" and i show up and theres a big scratch in it, i will ask them to take money off - but if it truly is "like new" then ill pay the price we agreed upon in emails....same for if im selling, if i forget to mention something and they notice it in person, i will work with them on the price...but if i properly describe what im selling, i expect to get the amount previously agreed upon

That's funny, if they say call or text only, I'm not as likely to contact them! To each their own, I suppose.

i prefer email or txting....if they only leave a phone number and say calls only, no txts - i wont contact them....most people on craigslist have some weird troll accent on the phone that makes verbal communications frustrating....i dont mind txting or email, i prefer txting