Roscoe Village - Rt541 Martinsburg to Coshocton

Jcarlson

For our next local excursion my wife and I want to check out Roscoe Village as suggested by another member on another thread I have going. We've never been there and the food and wine looks awesome, so why not make a sunny day of it, right?

The route we want to take from Westerville is Smothers Rd across Hoover Res. to Harlem Rd, Harlem to Fancher, Fancher to Rt 62, 62 into Martinsburg then pick up 541 into Coshocton. 61 miles and 1 1/2 hrs-ish riding time each way. Not a bad little jaunt.

Can anyone tell me what 541 is like? Mapquest sat pics show it as pretty hilly and twistie (that's a good thing), but is it a back country rd where I might hear some slanty eyed toothless f*ck playing banjo music or is it pretty safe with an occasional car/truck/tractor just in case something goes wrong? It looks pretty remote so I was just wondering.

Rt36 looks better, more populated, more travelled, but we'd have to go way north from Martinsburg to get that and then back track a bit wasting time and gas.

We could also take 161 into Newark then 16 in to Coshocton, but that's mostly highway and that's no fun.

Let me know. Thanks!!

Jim C.

Nice road with light traffic. There are two tricky turns. One is a slow tight right-left S turn in a small village. Watch for gravel there. The other is a left turn over the top of a hill that breaks down and around without enough positive slope to stick if going fast. Bikes have departed road in both places. You'll know the one over the hill, you can't see the road ahead till you get there. The road just before that, is running along the top of a high ridge. Really nice view from there.

edit: The S turn is CO Road 18 intersection just past SR 206. The hill top turn is at the end of a long straight road through a scrubby area with no trees. It's not marked to slow down, and is tricky if going over the speed limit. This is a back road, there are lots of turns over the tops of hills...

Edited by ReconRat

541 is nice.

Coshocton only sucks if you live there.

The first part of you route is the way I usually get to Westerville for food or to go to a store. I go that way to work sometimes too, but most of the time I hit 161 to 270 to Cleveland Ave.

The route is good...keep it. The tricky unmarked crest and fall to left....house there - wife is EMT...husband can wail on broken parts....you folks still owe him ice cream bars!

lemme know when yer riding..wife and I will meet ys. Haven't been to Roscoe Village since...uhmmm 2 hrs ago ;)

Edited by littlecarbsbigsmiles

The route is good...keep it. The tricky unmarked crest and fall to left....house there - wife is EMT...husband can wail on broken parts....you folks still owe him ice cream bars!

lemme know when yer riding..wife and I will meet ys. Haven't been to Roscoe Village since...uhmmm 2 hrs ago ;)

We lost one on that turn last year. I haven't seen the guy on here in a long time. He had a pretty new ZX6R.

Just talked with Josh...he lives in the place at the crest and drop turn on sr541....4 riders and one missed...life flight he says...anybody here?

Be careful out there.

Yep....er, well Josh if that's who ya mean...i was just teasin' him about his bald head and pay for a good haircut...don't t let wife do it no more Josh.

Correction...like how i worked in job title? No...different Josh says this Josh.

Arent they all around here haha.

If i had a good camera I would killboy a couple corners on the weekends just for shits and giggles

That's not a bad idea. You'd need a website to go along with that.

Plus one...sorry phone connection went south...outa time now.

jCarlsn....return route plotted from Roscoe? Coupla ideas for ya. Mid-Roscoe up the hill at stop sign cr 23? & follow it to cr 17 which will bring you out on sr60 between 541 and Warsaw (36). Or just go back on sr83 to 62. Coupla varients from there if ya want. Or just stay on 62 and back to martinsburg for a retrace of incoming route.

• 4 weeks later...

541 is a good route, nice and curvy. Lots of slower moving cars, especially on the more curvy section between 79 and Coshocton. It is a vastly superior bike road to USR 36.

Be careful where 541 intersects with CR 3 in West Bedford. That is a bad intersection for drivers on CR 3 pulling accross 541; so slow down and be alert right there.

• 1 month later...

Finally made the trip today. First off, Roscoe Village was, well, Roscoe Village. Been there , done that, don't know when/if I'll go back, but it was an ok day trip. Nothing to write home about but the General Store has good fudge.

Now, 541. Man, what an interesting road. It like a freakin rollercoaster. Some of those hills you can't see the other side until you're over it and dropping off the edge of the Earth almost. Nice views but you can't take too much of then in or you're going off road real quick.

Nice hills, awesome twisties. Was able to maintain between 45-60 mph but more toward 45 on the turns. Massive gravel on the S turn in New Guilford. Who the heck designed THAT piece of road?

WTF is that intersection at 541 & 303? It's a Y intersection with no stop signs. Man, you could get nailed there something fierce on the return trip. Heading east it's just a continous lane for 541 but headed west 541 crosses 303 with no stop signs for anyone.

Total ride time with a pit stop in Utica was 2 hrs each way (Mapquest says 1.5 hrs but they haven't been on those hills and turns) and given that it was 96 and humid as hell today that kind of made it miserable, but otherwise great run.

Thanks guys for all the tips. On a scale of 1-6 gears I give Rt541 4 1/2 gears ONLY because of the gravel on some of the turns.