towing a camper

buxnut

Quick question regarding rated towing capacities. I have a 2009 Chevy Equinox LT2, v6, AWD, factory tow package. We are planning a trip to the U.P. in Michigan at the end of August and are considering borrowing a friends pop-up camper to use for the trip. The rated towing capacity of the Equinox is 3500 pounds and the camper is 1800 pounds dry. I think we should be OK but wanted to see if anyone here may have had some experience like this. I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere and end up with a burnt transmission or blown motor.

Thanks!

Bill.

Stay within the facory load ratings for towing capacity and tongue weight and you should be fine. You are well withint he load rating at 1800 vs 3500.

If you are new to towing, research the correct driving style and especially acquaint yourself with the concepts of trailer sway and how to prevent/react to it... And how to correctly control speed on long/steep downhills (lower gear, not brakes)

you're at around half capacity, so the transmission should be fine unless you're doing prolonged hill-climbs. A trans cooler or even just a temp gauge on the trans would give you some peace of mind.

check into how much weight you can tow w/o trailer brakes though. That's really what limits many vehicles.

i was researching this for towing bikes. the 4 cylinder version of my wife's cute-ute is rated for 1,000 lbs. The 6 cylinder version is rated for 1,000 lbs. w/o trailer brakes, but 2,000 with trailer brakes.

5x :wtf:

Oh well, you didn't die, I guess.

ever seen a i6 f150 hauling 20k lbs :D lol its quite the adventure.... backroads only, as i think the freeway trip would have blown a ujoint or something....the dually transmission went out so the little truck had to do some work! (200k miles and going strong still too..besides a leaky head gasket, but it was like that when he bought it....we hauled a 9k lb trailer almost daily for a year, which is about 2x the weight limit) the little ford that could.

Edited by Steve Butters

Towing that will be no issue with your equipment. No trans cooler or brake control should be needed most POP up campers are 4 wire plug and do not have brakes on the trailer axle. The big thing you need to watch is swaying. I've seen quite a few people pulling POP up campers swaying extremely hard going way too fast, that's an accident waiting to happen. I would suggest having a spare trailer tire those little wheels on POP up campers blow frequently.

The big thing you need to watch is swaying. I've seen quite a few people pulling POP up campers swaying extremely hard going way too fast, that's an accident waiting to happen. I would suggest having a spare trailer tire those little wheels on POP up campers blow frequently.

pop-up campers do tend to have small wheels to keep the step-up manageable. I'd keep it under 70mph for sure.

With sway, my strategy is always to have room and ability to accelerate. Nothing straightens out a trailer like flooring it or a few seconds. Then just slow gradually.

I pull on a regular baisis, 24ft 28ft, 12ft, brakes no brakes, whatever it is.

Popups are made to be towed by smaller vehicles, hence the shorter frame, wheel base, lighter etc. You don't need to upgrade anything for sure. If your car is an ATX which I think you said it is, you actually have one already, maybe not a huge one, but it ll have at least a small one. Brakes, the thing will barely even be noticeable unless coming down some crazy hill or braking to not rearend someone, but still, won't be an issue.

The biggest thing is actually making the tailer sit level. This is the biggest thing with campers that people seem to not take into account. Keeping it level will make the tongue weight vs axle weight what it should be and make your car not hate you.

You are fine, and the UP is amazing! I would love to take my TT up there and camp actually.

Sounds like a next summer idea.

Thanks Everyone for the feedback. I figured I was OK just wanted some re-assurance.

Many Many years ago I service and installed Hot tubs for a living and pulled trailers all over the state of Ohio. That was with full size pickups and vans so there was never a concern about weights and limits. I know what the swaying feels like and how to react to it. Backing trailers has never been an issue for me either.

Really looking forward to seeing what the UP is all about. I hear great things about it!

i pulled the bikes 1300lbs total weight with a impala and the trailer has 13" wheels to tennessee in june with no problems..i kept the OD off but honestly i dont think i needed to it had plently of power and i really couldnt tell it was back there, mantianed 70 mph 90% of the way...checked the hubs at every stop and the trans fluid a few times

70mph all the way to tennessee with the OD off? your car must have hated you. the extra wear on the engine and oil alone wouldnt be worth it to me....if i thought i had to go to that extreme to pull the trailer, i would have rented a truck

only added maybe 700 revs...and i still got 19mpg...changed the oil when i left and when i returned and i use mobile 1 in all my cars...i bumped her into OD when i was on long down hills...even trucks reccomend that you tow with OD off..i bet my impala has a bigger engine and the same trans as his Equinox

Edited by 2talltim

Actually keeping OD off of an ATX is better for the tranny, shifts less and keeps in the same RPM range, so the tranny works easier. Yes it will run hotter, but as a whole, it is better on the car, oil etc. Especially if around hills, grades, etc. Engine compression braking even on a small car is easier on towing than using brakes.

With larger trucks, 2500, F250's etc. clicking the "Tow Haul" button is simply taking OD off and inducing more of the engine compression braking.

In my case I use an F250 6.0 with custom tow tunes as well, but as a whole, definitely pay attention to how much your car is shifting on any grades etc. If it is shifting often, turn OD off to keep it in a gear, your car will thank you.

But I would definitely recommend changing the oil before leaving and when you get back.

UP is so amazing, my favorite part was Fort Mackinaw for sure, but I loved the bridge too. My cousin went to college there just before the bridge at like Superior or something, said in the winters 8 foot snow drifts all over campus.