Huge Problem: Skunk in livetrap!!

max power

I have a livetrap in the backyard for catching "city vermin". It has been sitting open, unbaited for most of summer as dispatching urban rodentia is more of a winter sport.

This morning the wife wakes me up to angrily report that there is a stinky striped cat in the live trap, dont let the dog out there and get rid of it.

2011-07-10_13-16-43_149.jpg

Now I have 2 options, A)Shoot it.

I have a .22, a .22WMR, a .38 and .44 carbine, and a 12ga. available, but only the .22 is scoped.

I dont really want to shoot it unless I can drop it with out it spraying, and I live in town, so I will have to shoot it from the kitchen window. It has a heavy backdrop of logs.

My research shows spraying after shooting to be a 50/50 situation, with the best chances on a heart or spine shot. Not good odds and hard to do with a rolled up stinkbag and a 4x scope.

Or B) pay the local nuisance eradicator $50 to deal with it tomorrow, which ruins my plans of yardwork today and I have a dog that cant hold her piss forever, and will immediately run straight to it if I let her out. She LOVES the striped cats.

Any serious suggestions?

From internet:

Nature has given this wonderful creature very effective defensive equipment. Balancing this ability to spray a noxious liquid is an easygoing temperament. Mr. Skunk will only spray if he feels threatened, and he is not easily threatened. He will usually warn you before he sprays by stamping his front feet. If you ignore the warning and keep threatening him, he’ll turn around, lift his tail and ruin your day. If you get sprayed, it’s a safe bet that you weren’t paying attention.

It is quite possible to approach, cover with a towel or blanket, pick up, transport and euthanize a trapped skunk without being sprayed. But you must move slowly, never surprise him, and always give him a chance to adjust (cool off) after doing something with him.

Pick up the trap and carry it to your vehicle. Wait a few minutes and then drive him to the shelter. After you arrive, wait a few minutes, then carry the trap to the skunk euthanasia area (preferably an outdoor area—let’s not push our luck). Remove the blanket or towel and let him get used to his surroundings before proceeding (ten to thirty minutes is usually enough).

http://www.apnm.org/publications/general_articles/euthanizeskunk.php

I'd say try this but release him somewhere else. If you don't hurry, poor little critter will suffer in that cage. It's awful hot out today.

And why can't you just take your dog out on a leash in the front yard in the meantime?

Did you try calling animal control or the non-emergency police number to see if they have any ideas?

Edited by saralynn518

I'd say try this but release him somewhere else. If you don't hurry, poor little critter will suffer in that cage. It's awful hot out today.

Are you fucking serious? :lol:

I'd much rather he suffer than my dog or myself suffer. This retarded polecat has ruined my day. He can suffer there in the shade until I choose the form of his destruction.

And why can't you just take your dog out on a leash in the front yard in the meantime?

Have you ever pooped with a leash tied to your neck and some guy standing over you? Cuz my dog hasn't. :D

you're a dick dude.

that thing didn't do shit toyou. you left the fucking cage out there like a lazy ass.

there isn't any reason to blame it.

if your dog runs over to it just shoot the dog. problem solved.

Whatever dude, fuck off.

:rolleyes: Fuckin Hippies :bigfinger:

Are you fucking serious? :lol:

I'd much rather he suffer than my dog or myself suffer. This retarded polecat has ruined my day. He can suffer there in the shade until I choose the form of his destruction.

Have you ever pooped with a leash tied to your neck and some guy standing over you? Cuz my dog hasn't. :D

Yeah I'm pretty serious. Are you saying you'd rather kill him than attempt to relocate or release him? You set up LIVE traps. Skunks are pretty beneficial critters. I would try to release him from the live trap in your yard and let him go on his merry way.

How are you and your dog suffering in a way that is equivalent to that? How long has he been in the cage so far? Since skunks are nocturnal, I'm guessing he's been in there overnight. He's probably scared too.

And as for your dog, there's a first time for everything. Take him for a walk. Or is it too hot out? :nono: I'm sure your dog is fine going to the bathroom on a leash. Millions of dogs do it every day.

Yeah I'm pretty serious. Are you saying you'd rather kill him than attempt to relocate or release him? You set up LIVE traps. Skunks are pretty beneficial critters. I would try to release him from the live trap in your yard and let him go on his merry way.

How are you and your dog suffering in a way that is equivalent to that? How long has he been in the cage so far? Since skunks are nocturnal, I'm guessing he's been in there overnight. He's probably scared too.

And as for your dog, there's a first time for everything. Take him for a walk. Or is it too hot out? :nono: I'm sure your dog is fine going to the bathroom on a leash. Millions of dogs do it every day.

I will kill every skunk I come in contact with. I WILL NOT take a chance of getting sprayed. I WILL NOT take a chance of my dog getting sprayed.

You want to release it, come get it.

If I come over, I will just release it right there. It will probably run off.

If you release it in my yard, I will cap it right then and there. Skunks are not cuddly little creatures, they are pests that cause property damage and carry disease.

Do any non-hippies have any suggestions to safely euthanize this smelly bastard?

Do any non-hippies have any suggestions to safely euthanize this smelly bastard?

I'm sure if you leave it there much longer it will die on it's own from the heat

or dehydration.

Spend the $50 or move it somewhere else and let it go.

The info on that link explains it can be safely done.

If you release it in my yard, I will cap it right then and there. Skunks are not cuddly little creatures, they are pests that cause property damage and carry disease.

I never said they were cuddly creatures. They do help control the pest population though - "mice, rats, moles, aphids, grubs, beetles, yellow jackets, grasshoppers, cutworms, cockroaches, scorpions, black widow spiders, snakes, etc. An estimated 70% of a skunk's diet consists of insects considered harmful to humans. They also eat decomposing fruit fallen from trees." I think I'd rather have a skunk than those other things.

They aren't viscous animals unless they are rabid. My god, you'd think you captured a wolverine or something. He'll only spray if you scare him. It's called a defense mechanism :rolleyes: If you do it carefully and have patience (although I'm gathering that's not possible), he won't spray you. You think if you kill this one, no more skunks will exist?

Swing'R's link is awesome. However, it appears as if you feel extremely threatened by this skunk.

i agree with swingr.... just wait it out and let the thing die, im sure itll kick the bucket sometime...walk the dog out front

I wasn't "suggesting" that he let it die that way. I was simply stating that if he doesn't do something soon it will probably die anyway.

I'm not a hippie but I don't really agree with purposely making it suffer, putting it down quickly is one thing, letting it bake is another.

If that's a gravity door type live trap, roll it over with a pole or rope. The door should open? Let him just go away.

Spring loaded is harder, you'll have to cover the trap with towels or blankets so you can't be seen (the side away from the door), and prop the door open at least 5 inches. Like with a brick. Leave it that way till the skunk is gone.

Either way, a towel or blanket over the back half of the trap, will be where the skunk will hide. And it won't spray what it can't see unless it's really agitated. So don't pick the cage up and shake it. heh.

edit: keep another big towel or blanket between you and it as you approach and back away. Just in case.

edit2: btw, rabid skunks are quite common. Some say 90% are rabid. Definitely wear gloves goggles space suit no matter what you do. And do everything from upwind, never downwind.

Edited by ReconRat