Huge Problem: Skunk in livetrap!!

max power

Swing'R's link is awesome. However, it appears as if you feel extremely threatened by this skunk.

Shouldnt you get back to begging guys to work on your bike for free? :rolleyes:

I wasn't "suggesting" that he let it die that way. I was simply stating that if he doesn't do something soon it will probably die anyway.

I'm not a hippie but I don't really agree with purposely making it suffer' date=' putting it down quickly is one thing, letting it bake is another.[/quote']

Its only 90 and its in the shade. Jeez people, its not gonna bake.

If that's a gravity door type live trap, roll it over with a pole or rope. The door should open? Let him just go away.

Spring loaded is harder, you'll have to cover the trap with towels or blankets so you can't be seen (the side away from the door), and prop the door open at least 5 inches. Like with a brick. Leave it that way till the skunk is gone.

Either way, a towel or blanket over the back half of the trap, will be where the skunk will hide. And it won't spray what it can't see unless it's really agitated. So don't pick the cage up and shake it. heh.

edit: keep another big towel or blanket between you and it as you approach and back away. Just in case.

Unfortunately, its the spring loaded type. I have considered this, but if I get sprayed, or is sprays in the general vicinity, its gonna cost me at least one night of sleeping in the garage....and I kinda like my bed.

What I really need is a friend with a scoped hi-power rifle to stop by and let me do what needs to be done. I dont trust the .22 to be humane.

Clark: "Where's Eddie? He usually eats these goddamn things."

Cathrine: "Oh, not recently Clark. He read that skunks were high in cholesterol."

Clark: "Thank you Cathrine."

Theres my input, not helpful but made me laugh, unless you have someone you know who eats skunks lol

Shouldnt you get back to begging guys to work on your bike for free? :rolleyes:

That was low. I hope you never end up in a situation like mine right now! I'm used to helping people for free because it's the nice thing to do. I still do. Unfortunately, I can not pay anyone to help me right now, nor has anyone that I know of ever asked for payment when helping out a fellow rider when it's something that only involves skill and not parts. I have done a TON of work on this bike MYSELF. I only ask for help when I don't know what else to do. Do you think I like having to ask people for help!?!? Until the past few years when my situation deteriorated, I have rarely asked for help for anything. I go out of my way to help others all the time. Now I am trying to get disability and haven't worked in over a year. I have nothing left and can't even buy fucking toilet paper for myself and I've been begging people to help me but no one will. Wait until you're in my shoes and needing something essential...hell, even needing moral support, and no one gives a flying fuck. Let's see how you feel then. And I was willing to come over and help you with your skunk issue...I'd let it go because you didn't want to be sprayed. I was willing to take the chance of getting sprayed so you wouldn't have to and it wouldn't have to die. Oh...and I have gardens because I'm poor as fuck...not because I'm a hippie. Thanks for ruining MY day. I'd rather deal with the skunk.

I'd like to add that I have offered dinner to people that help or to do something else they need done in exchange for helping.

Edited by saralynn518

@MAX: I've always heard of doing the "tarp thing" too - covering them up, waiting, then transporting elsewhere. Never trapped a skunk myself, so I can't state definitively that it'll work.

@Saralynn: I give a flying fuck about you...and no, this isn't a pickup attempt...:)

Swing'R's link is awesome. However, it appears as if you feel extremely threatened by this skunk.

That was low. I hope you never end up in a situation like mine right now! I'm used to helping people for free because it's the nice thing to do. I still do. Unfortunately, I can not pay anyone to help me right now, nor has anyone that I know of ever asked for payment when helping out a fellow rider when it's something that only involves skill and not parts. I have done a TON of work on this bike MYSELF. I only ask for help when I don't know what else to do. Do you think I like having to ask people for help!?!? Until the past few years when my situation deteriorated, I have rarely asked for help for anything. I go out of my way to help others all the time. Now I am trying to get disability and haven't worked in over a year. I have nothing left and can't even buy fucking toilet paper for myself and I've been begging people to help me but no one will. Wait until you're in my shoes and needing something essential...hell, even needing moral support, and no one gives a flying fuck. Let's see how you feel then. And I was willing to come over and help you with your skunk issue...I'd let it go because you didn't want to be sprayed. I was willing to take the chance of getting sprayed so you wouldn't have to and it wouldn't have to die. Oh...and I have gardens because I'm poor as fuck...not because I'm a hippie. Thanks for ruining MY day. I'd rather deal with the skunk.

Stop boo hooing on my skunk thread. You dish it out, expect it back in spades.

Welcome to OR sweetheart. We are all about helping each other out, but we prefer to help people who are not fucking annoying about it. You dont just jump on the site and say, "Hi, Im Sarah. Who wants to work on my bike at my place and BTW, i cant afford the parts it takes to fix it." Sell your bike and buy toilet paper.

I called you (and others) a hippie as a joke because you bubbys seem soooo upset about me killing varmints. Guess what, I kill tons of varmints. So do LOTS of other members. Maybe you should join a no kill bike site.

@MAX: I've always heard of doing the "tarp thing" too - covering them up, waiting, then transporting elsewhere. Never trapped a skunk myself, so I can't state definitively that it'll work.

@Saralynn: I give a flying fuck about you...and no, this isn't a pickup attempt...:)

Thanks man. We are about to attempt to release it. I really want it dead, but not at the cost of smelling up the neighborhood. I need to find a way to scare them off since my dog is too stupid to stay away from them.

booooo! kill that bastard.... these people who are bitching werent there that night it sprayed the fuck out of your dog, garage, and my shoei :mad:

Agreed. If you still had your rifle, I'd give you the honor.

if i had my rifle it would be a RIP thread for that skunk already :D

ive hit two of these fuckers in the last 2 days in my truck...its like theyre all on a suicide mission lately

my truck fucking stinks right now...at least the smell hasnt made it in the cab, just within a 20ft radius lol

"Hi, Im Sarah. Who wants to work on my bike at my place and BTW, i cant afford the parts it takes to fix it." Sell your bike and buy toilet paper.

I bought parts. I didn't have a tool. I improvised anyway so I don't even need that. My bike is for sale, but it's not in my name, nor am I the one who gets the money for it. It will sell better if it's running like normal. What's wrong for asking with help working on the bike when I've exhausted everything I can do on my end? It's not like I just sit there and stare at it and don't work on it myself. I work on my cars too, but there's only so much I know how to or can do. How was I annoying about it on OR?

Btw, it's SARA. It's right there in my username. No excuse to mess it up.

Max, what if you were trapped in a cage on a hot day and someone tried throwing a tarp over you?? Or shot you just cause you were in the wrong place at the wrong time?? I don't think you'd like that very much, huh?? You're such a jerk. :nono:

I couldn't contain my smile as I typed that. :D I don't care one way or another, I'm just being difficult.

• Upvote 2

if i had my rifle it would be a RIP thread for that skunk already :D

ive hit two of these fuckers in the last 2 days in my truck...its like theyre all on a suicide mission lately

my truck fucking stinks right now...at least the smell hasnt made it in the cab, just within a 20ft radius lol

I just hit one last night in my brother-in-law's car. He left this morning to drive 7hrs back to N. Carolina today with a massive hangover. And yes the whole car smells inside and out.

• Upvote 1

you're a dick dude.

that thing didn't do shit toyou. you left the fucking cage out there like a lazy ass.

there isn't any reason to blame it.

if your dog runs over to it just shoot the dog. problem solved.

the mere existence of skunks and raccoon's is plenty of blame right there

This is the internet. Don't take it so serious.

I'm only one person. I can only take so much. I've held it together for a long fucking time now. That just was the straw that broke the camel's back and set me off. I'll be removing my avatar now lol.

I've known a few nuisance control guys.

Skunks are usually pretty mellow, you can often walk up to the cage without alarming it and pick it up and gently take it to the back of a truck, then transport it to a bridge, tie a rope to the top and drop it into the water.