Getting rust again

idodishez

had this problem on my .38 special. Was hoping I'd be safe w the Millenium. I tried OWB but it just prints too bad. So I carry IWB again, for now at least. Body sweat does this in less than a month. It's going to destroy it long term. Is it just me w this problem?

621cfd9c-cc6f-66f4.jpg

Actually :( My XD has a little rust on the slide.

Gun oil and a piece of cloth gets most of it off, you can use a nylon brush and get the rest off usually. Doesn't do any "damage" that I know of, but it's cosmetically annoying.

+1 to what others said, little extra oil.

@1000, what year was your XD made? I actually called SA about mine and the told me they switched some finishing one year and I got screwed, but since it was over 5 years old they couldn't do the repair under warranty :(

...I actually called SA about mine and the told me they switched some finishing one year and I got screwed, but since it was over 5 years old they couldn't do the repair under warranty :(

Springfield's warranty is lifetime for anything shipped after 1 January 2004. Are you the original owner? Not (from what I've heard/read) that they care, but that <is> what the warranty says. I would expect that they'd refinish it for you.

@Dish doer: Since the rust, from your picture, is only on the mag release, maybe dab a touch of oil on it each/every other night when you remove it from the holster?

Taurus also has a life time warranty.. just call them up they may just send you a new mag release button. pretty easy to replace yourself.. or depending on how new sometimes you can get the shop you bought it from to help out free of cost..

An IWB that would prevent contact w gun? Does it exist? I'm using a Blackhawk

XD? Why?

I have a Blackhawk as well and it has no skin contact at all, do you have the right one for your gun?? And XD has a very good finish
Actually :( My XD has a little rust on the slide.

Gun oil and a piece of cloth gets most of it off, you can use a nylon brush and get the rest off usually. Doesn't do any "damage" that I know of, but it's cosmetically annoying.

+1 to what others said, little extra oil.

@1000, what year was your XD made? I actually called SA about mine and the told me they switched some finishing one year and I got screwed, but since it was over 5 years old they couldn't do the repair under warranty :(

Mine is the new finish.

I have a Blackhawk as well and it has no skin contact at all, do you have the right one for your gun?? And XD has a very good finish.

Glocks all have Blackhawks. no issues at all. shit i think ive only cleaned it once since ive had it. what is this "oil" you others speak of?

I have a Blackhawk as well and it has no skin contact at all, do you have the right one for your gun?? And XD has a very good finish

Mine is the new finish.

621cfd9c-1bab-4813.jpg621cfd9c-1bdb-6ceb.jpg621cfd9c-1bf9-46b0.jpg

I'm pretty sure it soaks through too, even though there's no direct contact w mag release

From the Kimber owner's manual:

The key is moderation. Not enough oil and your gun

may not function properly and lead to undo wear.

Too much oil and you risk attracting damaging dirt

and debris to the bearing surfaces causing undo

wear and potential functioning problems. All metal

parts, even Stainless Steel, should be lightly

lubricated because

RUST IS NEGLECT!

Their (Kimber's) emphasis, not mine...

Second picture, where you're pointing at the mag release - looks like the gun's not in the holster all the way. Did you do that to show the release, or does it actually not sit in there correctly? Maybe your belt/pants are tight to the point of not allowing the gun to go all of the way into the holster? Dunno, just a thought.

Edited by jblosser
emphasis