Small Compressor Ideas?

DAC

Anyone have any experience with small compressors for emergency tire repairs? Need something I can fit in the tail bag. The slime unit gets patchy reviews. Harbor Freight has one but I'd have to figure out how to get rid of the lighter plug power and install an SAE plug.

Thoughts?

If you don't mind spending a decent amount of cash, BMW makes a compressor with a separate slime bottle that goes in the trunk of their "M" cars.

Pretty small unit and is pretty powerful.

I belive its called an "M-mobility unit"

Old DS rider trick is to buy the small slime, black and Decker, whatever compressor then remove the plastic case around it and stick it in a plastic bag. When done it will fit in a very small space. Just hold it by the wire or air hose when in use so you don't cut your fingers on the moving parts.

Bikeaircompressor.jpg

Edited by buildit

I did what is shown in buildit's post. I bought the smallest Campbell Hausfield compressor at Wally World for under $20, removed the case, wrap it in a shop towel and it fit neaty under the seat on my FZ1. It also fit in the back of the RC51, SV and Ulysses.

To make it even smaller, you can cut the fan off, I haven't. Though I did, cut off the cigarette lighter plug, and soldered in a SAE type plug. It plugs right into my battery tender pigtail.

Works great and I have used it atleast once a year to help people out while on the road. It'll inflate a completely flat 180/55 that was just plugged in about 4 minutes. Not bad. Plus, it's way better than the CO2 kits, or a bicycle pump.

I did this back in 2000 and it's still running strong today. Even with bouncing around in the back of the bikes.

A little of the topic but as buildit says they take up very little room when broken down. I had a friend that took one apart and tucked it in the tail section, unhooked the horn and wired it there then plumbed it to his air shifter. He just held the horn button until the air pressure built up for his storage tank which by the way was his swingarm, pretty slick setup.

A little of the topic but as buildit says they take up very little room when broken down. I had a friend that took one apart and tucked it in the tail section, unhooked the horn and wired it there then plumbed it to his air shifter. He just held the horn button until the air pressure built up for his storage tank which by the way was his swingarm, pretty slick setup.

Attach a whoopy cushion and you have an awsome gag. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Old DS rider trick is to buy the small slime, black and Decker, whatever compressor then remove the plastic case around it and stick it in a plastic bag. When done it will fit in a very small space. Just hold it by the wire or air hose when in use so you don't cut your fingers on the moving parts.

An even better trick is to get a large carabiner, or "S" Biner, and clip the stripped pump onto it, then clip that onto the bike and let it hang while it pumps!

It's easy to install an SAE lead in place of the cigarette plug, it's two wires after all.