FZ1 vs SV1k

YSR_Racer_99

it has more width becuase its a i4 instead of a twin. which BTW i'll take a i4 over a twin everyday. V-style engines FTL too many parts and not enough power. twins,v6,v8 i just dont get it inline is always best

I've had quite a few V2s and I4s. I prefer the power delivery of twins.

FZ1 is a much smoother and more rider friendly motorcycle compared to the SV.

Both are fun and capable bikes in my opinion.

The I-4 and the V-Twin debate, well again, just ones opinion on which is better...Personally I like both, and the Triple too.

FZ1 is a much smoother and more rider friendly motorcycle compared to the SV.

Both are fun and capable bikes in my opinion.

The I-4 and the V-Twin debate, well again, just ones opinion on which is better...Personally I like both, and the Triple too.

I guess ur qualified wit all the bikes n ur stable....variety is the spice of life! :-) i'd love to hv both the fz and sv....

Technically speaking the bastard love child of an I4 and V2 is the best engine configuration. There is nothing better than a V4!

I miss my old VFR quite dearly, with that being said, my next bike will be a FZ1.

Not exactly sure why yet....

I have yet to own a V4, but I have ridden a few, I almost pulled the trigger on an Interceptor and an RC51 a few times, I probably should have.

The V4 that my focus is on now is the new Tuono, dealer support kind of sucks for Aprilia, and the price a bit steep, but man I like their bikes.

The FZ1 is a great all around bike, of course only my opinion, I am not sure why more people do not consider them.

Oh My God I want that Aprilia Tuono RV4 so freaking bad it hurts! I would pipe bomb a arctic beach full of baby seals and grade school aged orphaned children to have one!

Aprilia hasa a kit to convert the Belt drive cams to gear train driven. SO MUCH WANT!!!

Some day, I will have one....... some day.......

it has more width becuase its a i4 instead of a twin. which BTW i'll take a i4 over a twin everyday. V-style engines FTL too many parts and not enough power. twins,v6,v8 i just dont get it inline is always best

it's dangerous to make that kind of blanket statement without some kind of disclaimer like, "in general," or "in most cases."

Inline 4 cylinder engines are perfectly balanced. So are V12's. I can't remember which additional cylinder configurations are as well; or why they're "perfectly balanced," but that will affect the "feel" of an engine immensely.

This is based on a motor trend article i read a long time ago, so my memory of it is spotty, but I'm fairly confident on the I-4 and V12.

In any case, there are times when big torque and simple design are desirable. In those applications, an old-tech V-twin is arguably "better" than a complicated I or V 4 with additional valves to fail, a liquid cooling system that can go bad, etc.

from what I have seen, both of the bikes pictured are very good, but also quite different in their power delivery.

one of my happiest moments was out-driving an FZ1 onto the back straight at Nelson Ledges. At the time I was on a '93 F2 with 87hp. I figure the FZ1 has about 140, and I passed him on the gas.

it's dangerous to make that kind of blanket statement without some kind of disclaimer like, "in general," or "in most cases."

Inline 4 cylinder engines are perfectly balanced. So are V12's. I can't remember which additional cylinder configurations are as well; or why they're "perfectly balanced," but that will affect the "feel" of an engine immensely.

It is inline 6 cylinder engines that are well balanced not 4 cylinder. However because of the smaller more numerous cylinders they have less natural vibrations than most twins. If I-4s are balanced then why do most automotive I-4s have counter balancers?

90 degree V-twins like the SV650 (SV1000?) have very good mechanical balance but and uneven firing. They also are very long which can make packaging in a frame troublesome. But as noted the narrow width is helpful.

Me, I want one of each. V-2, I-2, thumper, I-4, V-4, I-6, etc. :D

Craig

Wankel are temperamental, and don't like to sit for more than a couple of days. Had a couple of 2nd-gen RX-7s back in the day. Loved the 12A, not so much the 13B.

I absolutely LOVE my little SV650. I love the sound. I love the look (except the radiator). The power is fine for what I do, and it was cheappppp. I'm glad that I didn't pop for the z1000 that I was eyeballing at CCM last fall, with its sticker of only $7999 (brand new). This makes me just as happy. I'd like to have a SV1k, too. I'd do the conversion to it that I did to the 650.

I'd like an RC51 because its such eye candy, but it seems to be a Jeep Wrangler kind of deal in that "everyone wants one until they have one". Every RC51 has a non-stock seat and most have relatively low miles. Yeah, I know: "its a sport bike, not a tourer", but still. I've never heard it called a torture rack, like some of the Ducatis were (a la 996 genre), but thats the impression I get.

I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. Wring its neck.

you dont need a stable of bikes to understand differences between V and I configurations. in the realm of 4wheels all V configurations have more parts and there for are statistically more prone t fail. However in he 2wheel world they have less parts BUT dont rev and 8/10 out of ten are slower then their inline competition. there are exceptions to every rule and we all can think of a few twin bikes that we wouldnt mind to own. but if you talking about realistically OWNING a bike and keeping it up its going to be the inline option if for nothing else then ease of ownership.

and who ever that jackass is who tried to say because my current bike is an inline that i wouldn't have a viable opinion needs to slap themselves and make me a sammich