Looking for some yard equipment. Whatcha got?

Moto-Brian

Looking for the following:

-Zero turn mower. Big deck for mowing larger acreage.

-Possibly a smaller tractor that has a loader and mower deck to do the same thing, but getting the loader may help with dirt moving and driveway cleaning when it snows.

-Skid loader.

We are looking to move and the house we are looking at has a huge yard and a long driveway. I also have some decent woods I want to cut a trail in. I need to move dirt and push snow so, I would really like a do it all machine, but am not sure...

Shoot me what you have and I will look it all over...

for building the track and stuff, youre going to want a skid loader for sure....my dad tried building a track and clearing land with his tractor and it was a pain, he ended up bringing home a bobcat from work

tractor would be nice to have also because you can pull a brush hog behind it to eat up all the little crap....

to do what youre talking about, sounds like you want a tractor with a mowing deck and a brush hog deck and then when you build the track youre going to want to buy or rent a bobcat...bobcat rental is right around 200 a day and 700 a week give or take last time i checked....so you might be able to get away with renting one once you clear out the brush and weeds and stuff to build the actual track...even if you use it for a month (dont know monthly price, but probably around 1200 or so) its cheaper than buying one....a decent small front end loader is upwards of 8k unless you find a good deal or buy a beat up old gas one

for building the track and stuff, youre going to want a skid loader for sure....my dad tried building a track and clearing land with his tractor and it was a pain, he ended up bringing home a bobcat from work

tractor would be nice to have also because you can pull a brush hog behind it to eat up all the little crap....

to do what youre talking about, sounds like you want a tractor with a mowing deck and a brush hog deck and then when you build the track youre going to want to buy or rent a bobcat...bobcat rental is right around 200 a day and 700 a week give or take last time i checked....so you might be able to get away with renting one once you clear out the brush and weeds and stuff to build the actual track...even if you use it for a month (dont know monthly price, but probably around 1200 or so) its cheaper than buying one....a decent small front end loader is upwards of 8k unless you find a good deal or buy a beat up old gas one

Not really building a track. Maybe grooming a trail is a better descriptor... I really need something that can fine cut a yard and plow snow... Looking at at least 3 acres to mow and a long driveway...

Not really building a track. Maybe grooming a trail is a better descriptor... I really need something that can fine cut a yard and plow snow... Looking at at least 3 acres to mow and a long driveway...

sounds like you need a decent size tractor with a plow and a mowing deck....you can always rent a brush hog deck or borrow one when it comes time to groom the trails...but if youre making trails, you will need something more heavy duty to tear up the small trees and whatever else will be in your way

something like this would do what youre describing.....big enough to plow your driveway and big enough plus 4wd to get around in the brush to pull the brush hog through....not sure what they run or how much the plow kits and mower decks cost though

1288392510_133069161_1-Pictures-of--2007-Massey-Ferguson-GC2300-4WD-Compact-Tractor-Snow-Plow-Will-Ship-1288392510.jpg

that one i posted in a 23hp diesel and was for sale for 2700....its an 07...no longer for sale just an example...figure maybe another 1k-1500 for a mower deck (maybe?)

might be able to find a used tractor with pull behind and plow for around 3-4k....you want something with at least 20hp that can use a pull behind to be able to get a brush hog into the trails

wanting so many features out of one machine is what drives the price up....really, the expensive part is getting something that can either clear land by itself, or pull a brush hog...thats why you need the bigger tractor...if you only were worried about the yard you can get a nice zero turn or riding mower for a thousand bucks

might be better to go that route and then just rent equipment to clear the trails once a year or whatever

also, pull behind mowers dont get into a lot of areas, so you have to go by with a push mower to get them.....problem is finding a tractor with a belly mower that is big enough to still groom the trails with a brush hog...some people use a belly mower and a pull behind at the same time....its all about $ lol

Edited by Steve Butters

Great info! Trying to learn the ins and outs. The biggest issue is waiting for our one house to sell and the budget will be tight.

Unless someone wants to trade a barely used GSXR1000 AMA caliber race bike towards a tractor or skid loader! :p