Sunday 7/17 Ride in SE Ohio

Hailwood

Continuation of This Thread

The weather is looking great for this weekend, and I definitely want to make the most of it with a nice longish ride.

This is a modified version of the route I proposed in the other thread. I've revised the route based on some suggestions, and my desire to try a new road (OH-260) in this area. Start in Millersburg and end in Bolivar. Should be about ~250 miles round trip. Tack on whatever distance/time for the meet-up/end.

We will plan on stopping for gas every 80~100 miles (Caldwell, Woodsfield, Bolivar), but I'm not planning on a lunch stop, so plan accordingly.

Google Maps Link

Meet at the Speedway on OH-83 in Millersburg at 9:00 AM, with the intention of rolling out by 9:30. It's a little bit early, but that should allow everyone to get back home by ~5:00.

The pace is whatever you feel comfortable with - ride your own ride. I will be keeping it 70~80 in most of the straights, and whatever I feel comfortable with in the corners, and will adjust my pace based on how I perceive the road conditions. I will pass on a double yellow if I feel that it is safe, but don't assume that it is safe for you - use your judgement and pass when you feel comfortable. We will stop at all stop signs and turns and wait for everyone. No one will be left behind.

I will be wearing full leathers, and recommend you do as close to the same as you are able. As Inya is so fond of saying, if you show up in b-ball shorts and a ball cap, that's fine, but this may not be your ride.

Other than that, the only goal is for everyone to have a good time and make it home in one peice.

Edited by Hailwood

Beware of the gravel on 260. It's bad...mmmm kay. The last 8 to 9 miles were great...but everything north of that has got gravel in most of the corners.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I've never ridden 260 before so I was planning on taking it on the easy side anyway. I'll make sure to keep an eye out.

Looks like a fun route. A little detour from point F in Freeport you might want to try is Rt342 to Rt258, it runs right back into 800 in Stillwater. Both 342 & 258 have some nice turns and are lightly traveled. That section of 800 is pretty boring so I usually take the fun way.

I wish I could join in but I have a MX race at Area330 in Carrollton Sat & Sun.

Is it just me or is the route not showing up on the map that's posted

For some reason it wasn't working on the map I made this morning. I made a new one and it appears to be working.

Looks like a fun route. A little detour from point F in Freeport you might want to try is Rt342 to Rt258, it runs right back into 800 in Stillwater. Both 342 & 258 have some nice turns and are lightly traveled. That section of 800 is pretty boring so I usually take the fun way.

Thanks for the suggestion, that actually sounds like a pretty fun detour through that section.

Looks like the rain is going to hold off until the late afternoon tomorrow.

I'll check the forecast again later tonight to see what it says, but at this point I'm still planning on doing this ride.

I was curious about this so I tried Fox_Racing_Guy's alternative detour today. I have to say these roads are nice and gnarly and twisty, all in all a highly entertaining little back route but be aware that both roads are a bit dirty and 258 in particular seemed to have gravel in most of the corners. Also, there was a really tricky little dip on 258 that took me by surprise and I felt lucky to keep control. Until the roads are cleaned up I'd avoid it if the group are expecting to keep a quick pace.

It figures that Fox_Racing_Guy would suggest this - it's probably a bloody riot on a the MX bike!!

Looks like the scattered T-storms aren't supposed to arrive until later tomorrow afternoon / evening, and we should be able to do this one with no problems.

Got the 900 SuperSlow all tuned up today, so I'm planning on riding it tomorrow. I'll post up in the morning before I head out.

I was curious about this so I tried Fox_Racing_Guy's alternative detour today. I have to say these roads are nice and gnarly and twisty, all in all a highly entertaining little back route but be aware that both roads are a bit dirty and 258 in particular seemed to have gravel in most of the corners. Also, there was a really tricky little dip on 258 that took me by surprise and I felt lucky to keep control. Until the roads are cleaned up I'd avoid it if the group are expecting to keep a quick pace.

It figures that Fox_Racing_Guy would suggest this - it's probably a bloody riot on a the MX bike!!

Thanks for the heads-up bambam. If we decide to go that way, we'll definitely be on the look-out.

Well, that didn't exactly go as planned.

We had an incident early into the ride when Kent went down on OH-78. This was an example of a rider riding within his limits but losing focus at the wrong time.

I was really impressed with how many people stopped to help, and by the time I turned around and made it back (<5 minutes) the ambulance was on its way.

At this point the ride disbanded, and I followed the EMTs to Zanesville. Unfortunately it looks like his elbow was pretty messed up, but but no other serious injuries, and it could have been much worse (especially with that &@$)ing metal pipe). I hung around until his brother was able to get down and make arrangements for the bike and they made the decision to move him to Canton.

I'll let Kent fill you in any details he wants to share, but keep him in your thoughts for a speedy recovery. If I hear anything I will let you guys know.

It was good to meet you guys. Ride safe out there.

• Upvote 1

Well, that didn't exactly go as planned.

We had an incident early into the ride when Kent went down on OH-78. This was an example of a rider riding within his limits but losing focus at the wrong time.

I was really impressed with how many people stopped to help, and by the time I turned around and made it back (<5 minutes) the ambulance was on its way.

At this point the ride disbanded, and I followed the EMTs to Zanesville. Unfortunately it looks like his elbow was pretty messed up, but but no other serious injuries, and it could have been much worse (especially with that &@$)ing metal pipe). I hung around until his brother was able to get down and make arrangements for the bike and they made the decision to move him to Canton.

I'll let Kent fill you in any details he wants to share, but keep him in your thoughts for a speedy recovery. If I hear anything I will let you guys know.

It was good to meet you guys. Ride safe out there.

Hope he gets well soon could have been worse with that pipe. Me and my buddy jumped over to 555 to 666 to 60 weather turned out to be great. Roads were in good shape I only recall one dirty corner on 555 did out 400 miles

Hope he gets well soon could have been worse with that pipe. Me and my buddy jumped over to 555 to 666 to 60 weather turned out to be great. Roads were in good shape I only recall one dirty corner on 555 did out 400 miles

Glad you guys had a good time and made it back safe.

Get any good video of us on OH-83?