Pilot Power cupping?

216cityboy

Only have about 4k on a new set I bought from IP. Anyone else have the front tire cup leaving them with an annoying vibration at highway speeds? Most people will say tire pressure issues but that's not the case. I'm always aware of my tires having correct pressure. Just wondering if it will get worse or any other known reasons so I don't have the same issue when I replace them next spring. I plan on trying out the Continentals next.

Barely noticeable by camera but I'll post some tomorrow. More noticeable by touch. I thought I lost a weight during a road trip but caught the view while sitting next to it.

I was wondering about suspension & now that I think about it the Dunlop I took off the front when I bought the bike was mildly the same way. Where can I have the suspension setup for my stature?

Edited by 216cityboy

I'd also ask what you consider "proper" pressures.

i don't mean to be insulting, but I've heard people say, "i run mine at 28" and "I run mine at 44," and both think they're correct.

but like others have said, it sounds like you've gotten your money's worth out of that tire.

When you get to the end of the life on a set of tires it's not uncommon to have some slight cupping issues. Like others have said, i'd check out the suspension settings.
I'd also ask what you consider "proper" pressures.

i don't mean to be insulting, but I've heard people say, "i run mine at 28" and "I run mine at 44," and both think they're correct.

but like others have said, it sounds like you've gotten your money's worth out of that tire.

Your answer lies in these two quotes. I don't suspect suspension settings though. End of life and tire pressure are most likely.

No point in attaching pics because it wouldn't show the wear but the front tire measures 3mm (book says min 1mm). I run them at the cold spec of 36 front, 42 rear. Glad to hear any info so I don't kill the next set. I just didn't expect them to wear uneven when I've heard mileage ratings from others as high as 8k & they appeared to be worn smooth. The rear is worn more in the center from slabbing it to work everyday but its not cupped. No biggie there.

...I run them at the cold spec of 36 front, 42 rear.
way to high PSI IMO

Kinda what I was thinking, especially on that rear. I think I'm usually at 32F /34R cold.

if the middle of the rear isn't quite at the tread wear bar just yet, i'll trade you for a rear tire that has LOTS of meat in the middle (the far right edge will be close to the wear bar).

come on, it's a good deal guy.

Lol. If only rotating them was an option RFM & no thanks jbot. Here's the pics anyway to show the tread life after 4k miles. I'll definitely look into 1: dialing in my suspension & 2: lower psi once I buy the next set.

Edited by 216cityboy
Pics didn't show up

I had a couple of front tires cup on me near the end of their life, its not uncommon. IMO you front pressure is a hair low. I was running 35 on these tires.

As here, I found there are a lot of opinions as to what pressure to run so I consulted a bike shop. The tire guy told me for highway riding and storage the pressures should be close to 40. (Of course if your getting into twisties or a track day you will what to lower the pressures.) So now I run 40, 40 and did not cup my last front or my current front which will need replaced before summer ends.

Yeah I commute 200 miles minimum a week back & forth to work & that's ALL freeway. I've only hit the twisties twice so I keep them at the owners manual spec. Thanks for all the info/opinions everyone. I'll just ride this set out til the winter then replace them.

Cupping is usually PSI issue. Cupping is not a trend of suspension issues. Tearing and wear on the surface is what suspension will cause. Of course, it can lead to cupping, but typically, poor suspension is going to cause some serious indication via wear.

Cupping is pressure...