Home-made enclosed trailer?

redkow97

What does Pauly's weigh?

I bet it's as much or more EMPTY than my current setup is fully loaded with a bike and other "stuff."

max towing capacity is 2,000 lbs. for my SUV with a small V6. (1,000 w/ the 4 cylinder model). I'd prefer not to tow more than 1,500 if I can avoid it, and the option to have 2 bikes loaded is one I'd like to maintain.

What does Pauly's weigh?

I bet it's as much or more EMPTY than my current setup is fully loaded with a bike and other "stuff."

max towing capacity is 2,000 lbs. for my SUV with a small V6. (1,000 w/ the 4 cylinder model). I'd prefer not to tow more than 1,500 if I can avoid it, and the option to have 2 bikes loaded is one I'd like to maintain.

No I understand, I was just pointing out that a 5x8 enclosed is entirely possible to be towed by a small SUV

yeah, I just think ~850 lbs. empty is going to be too much.

add a bike, and I'm already well over 1200 lbs. Part of the point is to be able to put MORE on the trailer, and less in the car w/ me, so the wife and the dog can come along.

I may be better off just buying a nicer tent, and then building an enclosed box for more of my 'stuff' on the trailer.

I think it can be done, but you had better have some frame underneath. I get your point about the tow vehicle shielding it, but as I'm sure you know from riding behind a truck on the highway, there are pressure waves coming off the tow vehicle that produce a push and pull type of oscillation that could be worse than a steady wind.

I say go for it... I think it can be done. Personally, I would make it so the side panels bolt into the trailer, and then bolt together, probably with aluminum angle. Some triangulation on the bracing should help keep it from folding into a parallelogram. If you don't brace the larger panels, they are going to vibrate and loosen things. It's not just the wind force, it's the oscillation. For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw

My plan would be something along the lines of this, except a 20" taller, and I was planning to do floor-to-ceiling supports in the CORNERS, and only use the side anchors as a means of holding the whole thing to the deck.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGZvMEDvxb7_YGRNgvGwLPnt_JJWVD0aS7I1uLcxcK1Chm0p5y

if the side pieces are flexing, a simple ladder frame should strengthen them up easily enough.

2 edge bars length-wise, and then 3 'rungs' total across the center. that'd be enough, no?

actually talking things through has kind of made me think that sleeping in the car is the better option :p

At this point I'm thinking my 1 big project has turned into 2 smaller projects:

1) find a way to put bug screens on my car windows, and then also keep rain out (tarp + bungy cord + luggage rack?)

2) make a big ass wood box that fits perfectly next to my bike on the trailer. This will be removable so I can load and unload the bike, but will also enclose some of my stuff taht would otherwise have to be inside the car, thus freeing up space for more stuff in the car, and giving me exterior locking storage that is still protected from the elements.

actually talking things through has kind of made me think that sleeping in the car is the better option :p

At this point I'm thinking my 1 big project has turned into 2 smaller projects:

1) find a way to put bug screens on my car windows, and then also keep rain out (tarp + bungy cord + luggage rack?)

2) make a big ass wood box that fits perfectly next to my bike on the trailer. This will be removable so I can load and unload the bike, but will also enclose some of my stuff taht would otherwise have to be inside the car, thus freeing up space for more stuff in the car, and giving me exterior locking storage that is still protected from the elements.

what kind of stuff are we talking to protect? It'd probably be cheaper than wood to get some plastic totes and strapping them down, but this obviously depends on size

I'd like to fit the majority of the "stuff" that just gets thrown in my car because i'm worried it will blow away on the trailer.

This includes a LOT of crap, including:

- EZ up

- sleeping bag

- 200 piece socket set

- medium sized tool box.

- spare trailer tire

- loading ramp for the bike

- probably a generator soon (although that would be expensive enough to keep in the car)

- riding boots

- back protector

- chest protector

- gloves

- air mattress

I have a big tupperware foot-locker now, but strapping down tupperware isn't as easy as it may sound. There is no anchor point for bungies or ratchet straps.

with a big wooden box, I can put eye-bolts in the corners and use carbeiners to hold things firmly in place.

-

i sell you mine 5x8 enclose trailer for $ 800

sounds like a great deal, but it's still going to be too heavy, and I still have no place to store it.

the big appeal with the harbor freight model is that it folds in half and is currently upright against a wall in my garage.

plus a 5x8 enclosed just seems like the middle-child of the trailer family.

If I'm going to buy an enclosed trailer and upgrade tow vehicles, I will likely take a larger step and pick up a 6x10 or 6x12. Never should have let my wife talk me into selling my Ranger 4.0 :(

Just over build it use 1/2" plywood and add more bracing than you think you will need and it should be good to go. I would really suggest bolting the top on rather than strapping you could drill holes and use t-nuts and eye bolts so it is removable and the eye bolts will double as a place to tie down your bicycle. You will want something strong securing the corners might be able to use some padlock hasps for that so it is easily disassembled.

I'm headed over to my dads tonight to finish working on his RV and I think he has the box on the jet ski trailer so I'll try to remember to snap some pics for you to give you ideas

• 4 weeks later...

I completed my enclosed alternative over the weekend.

with sleeping in the SUV being the simpler option, I really just needed more weather-proof storage space on the trailer. My bike has been off to the right side of the trailer since Imprez55 and I hit Nelson a month or so back anyway, so evening out the weight with a storage box and "stuff" makes sense regardless.

My box ended up being 18" wide by 24" tall by 7' long, and I used 7/16 plywood because it was $7.50 a sheet, and the nicer stuff was closer to $30 a sheet. I finished it off with white exterior paint left over from painting the pillars on my side porch. that should keep it weather-proof a bit longer.

The result is big and heavy, but it will easily fit my tool boxes, an EZ-up, my boots and gloves, 2 helmets, 2 small coleman coolers, and my gas can. Once I add casters to one end, it will be pretty portable too. All that I need to add are some handles for easier carrying, and some latches to hold the top on :)

Should be in action on my way to BeaveRun to race w/ WERA next weekend.