Home-made enclosed trailer?

redkow97

showed up at Summit this weekend, and quickly realized that I was going to have to camp on the asphalt if I wanted to be in the "Main" paddock (jefferson circuit has grass though).

Anyway, I crashed in a friend's 6x12 enclosed trailer, and it was really convenient.

an enclosed trailer is not in my budget, nor would I want to spend a lot of money on one that is able to be towed by my wife's small SUV.

So, this got me thinking: Would it be super ghetto to build walls and a ceiling for my Harbor Freight 4x8?

my biggest concern is weight, but when all is said and done, I would essentially end up with a 4x4x8 box, and I'd just make a screen door (tent style) to leave one end open for ventilation. If it rains, I toss a tarp over the end and bugie cord it down so it won't blow away.

dumb idea? super ghetto?

This seems like one of those things that works great in my head, but ends up heavy, cumbersome, and really shady looking when I'm done...

thoughts?

my build cost would likely be around $100, so it's not a terribly expensive experiment. Storing 3 sheets of 4x8 plywood is my next concern, but they should lean against the garage wall easily enough...

(p.s. - the internet claims that a 4x8 sheet of plywood weighs 20-25 lbs. per 1/4 inch.)

I think I could get away with 1/2 or even 3/8 inch sheets.

That would be under 50 lbs per sheet, multiplied by the 4 sheets I would need. 200 lbs. Plus additional bracing lumber. figure another 250.

Considering I have had a second BIKE on the trailer, an extra 250 lbs. shouldn't be a problem, even when I throw more stuff on the trailer, because I no longer have to worry about it blowing away or falling off.

Reasonable?

The finished product will be no more than 4' taller than the trailer deck. I really only need it to be taller than the wind-screen, which is maybe 38" at its peak.

so it will DEFINITELY be shorter than the tow vehicle - that's part of the appeal of making my own; I get to decide stuff like that.

@Bad - this would be removable.

The HF trailers have brackets on the sides for adding a stake-bed. I would just be adding a roof, and solid walls rather than beams.

true, but part of the appeal was the ability to drive 70 mph with a rigid structure shielding my stuff from the wind, and keeping it on the trailer.

I may also run a small space heater in there on cold nights. Canvass would be better than regular tent material for sure, but I don't think it would be as good as wood.

showed up at Summit this weekend, and quickly realized that I was going to have to camp on the asphalt if I wanted to be in the "Main" paddock (jefferson circuit has grass though).

Anyway, I crashed in a friend's 6x12 enclosed trailer, and it was really convenient.

an enclosed trailer is not in my budget, nor would I want to spend a lot of money on one that is able to be towed by my wife's small SUV.

So, this got me thinking: Would it be super ghetto to build walls and a ceiling for my Harbor Freight 4x8?

my biggest concern is weight, but when all is said and done, I would essentially end up with a 4x4x8 box, and I'd just make a screen door (tent style) to leave one end open for ventilation. If it rains, I toss a tarp over the end and bugie cord it down so it won't blow away.

dumb idea? super ghetto?

This seems like one of those things that works great in my head, but ends up heavy, cumbersome, and really shady looking when I'm done...

thoughts?

my build cost would likely be around $100, so it's not a terribly expensive experiment. Storing 3 sheets of 4x8 plywood is my next concern, but they should lean against the garage wall easily enough...

Ghetto, no. Hillbilly, absolutely! Still a good idea though.

I am going to price out the materials and see how much this might actually set me back. then lots of measuring so that I can have home depot make straight cuts to the plywood... I suck at using a circular saw.

if I can use thinner plywood, it could end up being pretty cheap. I would paint the whole thing a solid color as well, so that it doesn't suck up water and rot.

or maybe just thinner plywood on the 'ceiling' but thicker stuff on the sides, since they'll be supporting weight, and taking wind forces. The top just has to support the weight of my pedal bike. I plan on laying it on top, then strapping it down.

There is a place down in Youngstown called Star Supply they my have some supplies to build this on the cheap. They sell steel and aluminum would be much stronger for the frame and probably end up lighter because you'd need less for strength than if you used 2x4's

http://www.starbarg.com/index_test.htm

Edited by conn-e-rot

I really don't anticipate having to use much wood other than the paneling; just some 1x3's as upright supports in each corner, and then a couple of 1x3's along the top to keep it rigid when I'm moving it around.

that shouldn't add much weight - aluminum would be lighter, so I'll look into that (simple angle-bar will add strength), and be more compact, but I'm not sure it will be cost-effective.

these are the kind of ideas I'm looking for though.

I think you might need more of a frame than you're anticipating. It will be like a house in 80mph winds... you don't want the thing coming apart on you while you're towing. I would go with the aluminum frame and thin sheeting idea. Just an opinion, take it or leave it.

well let's talk about the forces involved.

Your 80mph wind comment is well taken. But I think that the tow vehicle being taller than the trailer is going to VASTLY reduce the amount of force actually hitting the trailer.

That said, side gusts are still a real possibility. some kind of support 'frame' to keep the boards themselves from flexing is probably necessary. how robust is the question. Simple angled aluminum is probably fine, and still light. Just a matter of how much it will cost.

I may mock something up with cardboard and popsicle sticks to see where the design is weak. The wind forces are going to multiply exponentially as the surface area grows, so that's something to consider for sure. Any SLIGHT flex in a scale model is going to be a huge problem at full scale.

I'll see what I have time for tonight. I have to fold the trailer up and put it away for a month, but I'll try to get measurements before I do so.

keep the ideas coming.

Edited by redkow97

I think the pvc and trap would be the best. Just install it when you need it. You think about how hard it will be to get a bike in a trailer thats 40" tall? Try to strap it down in that confined area.

its an extreme pain in the ass. My suggestion is add hinges to one side of the roof to be able to open it. This is what my dad did for the box he made to throw on his jet ski trailer for his harley

I think the pvc and trap would be the best. Just install it when you need it. You think about how hard it will be to get a bike in a trailer thats 40" tall? Try to strap it down in that confined area.

the roof would be 100% removable, so no issue there. I might just use eye-bolts and ratchet straps to keep the roof on. Still thinking that one through.

I also don't use straps. the pit-bull TRS means all I have to do is walk it in and latch the pins.

downloading google sketchUp.

If i can figure out how to use it, I'll have some drawings to share. Hopefully get us all on the same page.

I really do appreciate the devil's advocate responses BEFORE i've spent any money :D

keep 'em coming. Like I said, hopefully I'll have some 3D images to share if work is slow.

i'll be mr. pessimistic here and say:

save up a couple hundred bucks, sell your trailer for a couple hundred bucks, and you should be able to pick up a used enclosed trailer (5x8 should be light enough to tow with even a car or small SUV) for well under a grand. hell, less than that if you wait for the right deal.

add up the materials you have to plunk down money for, your time, and the extreme likelihood of your mad creation blowing away into a million pieces on the highway in the slightest crosswind. you're a lawyer, think of all the fun you'll have responding to law suits from blood thirsty ambulance chasers regarding your rickshaw that self destructed and peppered itself all over the road and into their client's mercedes.

i say save up for a few months, and pick up a small enclosed trailer over the winter when the right deal comes along.

Ghetto is no question, but it could work. I have seen a ton of these kinda things at the dirt track races. Is it the best option, not sure.

If I were you I would most likely try to sell what you have, save a few mos. then get an enclosed. You can find them cheap for sure.

a traditional enclosed that does not disassemble is not an option. Nowhere to store it. a factory built 5x8 is also going to weigh a LOT more than I can afford with my current tow vehicle, and it will catch the wind terribly.

sleeping in the car is an option, but the lack of ventilation (or plethora of bugs - take your pick) makes it a non-option in hot weather.

I suppose rigging up some kind of screen for the car windows is probably less risky though.

Edited by redkow97

a factory built 5x8 is also going to weigh a LOT more than I can afford with my current tow vehicle, and it will catch the wind terribly

if Pauly's 200k+ mile Subaru can handle a 5x8 enclosed, any small SUV with a 4cylinder should be just fine I'd imagine