Who knows how to wind garage door cables

MidgetTodd

yes, very dangerous and difficult. they can kill you if done wrong.

+1 i almost lost my right hand trying to fix one. only thing that prevented it was the cable end caught on the track and stopped it from winding up all the way.

What we meant to say was you don't need any help. You should have no problem doing it by yourself. Let us know how it goes and have a video camera set up too.

I tried, it got no where and I still havent found all the wrenches that were in the tray I threw. :(

I wish I had a video of the following moment but only because there was no permanant scars, lol.

A couple of guys were winding the coils for a new dock door at the factoty I used to work at and one guy kept saying thats enough and the other guy kept saying it needed to be tighter. When they finially stopped winding the one guy stayed in the lift to adjust the stops on the track and the other guy yanked up on the door.

When he got about waist high the spring tension took over and the door took off like it had rockets on it, the guy up top didn't have time to react and the door hit him right in the forehead and dropped him like a bad habit. When he woke up he was pissed and those two guys didn't speak for a couple of years.

If you do it be careful, I have seen tire tools, pry bars and screwdrivers thrown for quite a distance.

ETA, damn you guys are fast, there were four post since I started typing, lol.

Edited by bandit12