Guy wins GTR on eBay, dealer refuses to honor price. Oops.

Casper

it doesn't matter. in a auction the seller doesn't have to sell it for what you won the bid for.

that's just how it is.

now they might be able to dispute it if he met the reserve. but i still don't think they can make him sell it.

It was a no reserve sale according to one of the articles. The dealer claims the salesman "forgot" to put a reserve on the vehicle when they listed it.

It was a no reserve sale according to one of the articles. The dealer claims the salesman "forgot" to put a reserve on the vehicle when they listed it.

Exactly, this has happened a few times before and every time it has ended up on jalopy where they get tons of press and the dealer folds because they don't want to ruin there image. They need to accept that they made a mistake and be grateful it is only $4,000 they are losing and not $20,000

it doesn't matter. in a auction the seller doesn't have to sell it for what you won the bid for.

that's just how it is.

now they might be able to dispute it if he met the reserve. but i still don't think they can make him sell it.

Are you being serious or just trollin'?

Guy won fair and square. It's the dealerships fault they didn't list the auction the right way. Guy still paid close to the original price Ebay has rules and stipulations as a buyer and seller. The selle is calling foul because they made a goof as to what Ebay and the laws have to go will see what happens next.

No the dealer doesn't have to sell it, but standards of business practice would say the dealer is wrong. Of course, there are always exceptions. If something is listed at a ridiculous low and wrong price, it would be considered a sort of theft if you bought something at that wrong price. The seller doesn't have to honor a reasonable error. Now, the question is, does that translate over into an "error in forgetting the reserve". I believe that generally eBay would say no. There was plenty of time and opportunities to withdraw the offering before it was too late. And is in general, in violation of eBay seller rules. And is this slander by the buyer? Of course not. It's the truth. They need to give him $4000 with a gag order. And sell him the car.

edit: oh, and get rid of the person that set the auction up on eBay, those mistakes are getting expensive...

Edited by ReconRat

Are you being serious or just trollin'?

100% serious.

go to a car auction sometime. if the bids don't meet what the seller wants, no one wins the auction even if you were the highest bidder.

often the seller isn't even there and the auction house calls the seller to see if they will accept the bid or not. just because you beat everyone else bidding on it doesn't mean you automatically own the car.

when you "win" the bidding, the auctioneer will say your bid price and say "with an if".

that's what made me laugh when I read his thead and said something about consumer protection stuff. he's obviously new to auctions.

I wouldn't cave to him no matter what he did. and I'd sue him for slander if he went around the net slandering my business.

Edited by serpentracer
  • Downvote 1

100% serious.

go to a car auction sometime. if the bids don't meet what the seller wants, no one wins the auction even if you were the highest bidder.

often the seller isn't even there and the auction house calls the seller to see if they will accept the bid or not. just because you beat everyone else bidding on it doesn't mean you automatically own the car.

when you "win" the bidding, the auctioneer will say your bid price and say "with an if".

that's what made me laugh when I read his thead and said something about consumer protection stuff. he's obviously new to auctions.

I wouldn't cave to him no matter what he did. and I'd sue him for slander if he went around the net slandering my business.

Only applies if there is a reserve if no reserve is selected on eBay then the highest bidder wins. The seller would almost undoubtly lose in court. The terms of the auction have to be presented before bids are taken. I've watched many classic car auctions and they state high bid wins no reserve or however they put it. You can't have a no reserve auction, allow the auction to end and then renig. No reserve means highest bidder wins!

100% serious.

Buddy, I think you don't know auctions.

100% serious.

It's a binding contract on Ebay for the seller once they list the auction at without a reserve that whatever it sells for is the price. The same way that when the bidder submits a bid, that is a binding contract that he has just effectively signed. The ebay user agreement clearly states that unless a reserve has been placed on the item, then it is sold at the price the auction ends at.

Now I know you're trollin, noone is stupid enough to believe anything he said (ie, the truth) was slander.

Man, you had me going for a little bit there!