Raccoon infestation. Tons of shit - cleaning question...

Moto-Brian

OK, got a SHIT load (no pun intended) of raccoon poop to clean up in an attic. There's not just a little like on the porch of your neighbor's house where his dog shits...

Anyways, gotta clean it up. No insulation either to just suck up - it's bare and is on the drywall and on the rafter wood...

I have a Tyvex suit, respirator and gloves and glasses.

Any thoughts as to what cleaning compound to use? 1/4 cup of bleach to 1 gallon of water or something else?

What solution to be used after clean up and will rid of the smell?

Figured someone on here has got to know or have been in this situation...

sorry, can't help, but eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

I think I would go for something with a serious skin-eating anti-bacterial content.

I have traps and will catch the raccoons. I was referring to what to use to clean up and what to use to kill the smell...

There is stuff at Sams club and most grocery stores called Odor Ban. It kills HIV, not kidding, read the bottle.

My old dog used to urinate anywhere my puppy would lay, rub, brush the wall, anything. I mean like big time urinate, and this stuff took the smell TOTALLY out.

No need to dilute either, it is enviromentally friendly.

Odor-Ban, it's like greenish in a clear bottle.

Edited by madcat6183
Spelling

A little JFGI and here you go! Read the PDF and you should have all you need to know.

Removing raccoon latrine

Thanks, man. I got a Tyvex suit and the needed respirator, etc. I also have a misting bottle to wet it enough to avoid dust.

Hopefully can trap these things and rid them from the place...

For the smell issue, I've used this stuff to take care of pet odors and it's powerful enough to take care of cat pee which is really strong stuff too. It's called PureAyre and is 100% natural. http://www.pureayre.com/

Fire sounds fun, but a little too permanent for what you need. :)

Thanks, man. I got a Tyvex suit and the needed respirator, etc. I also have a misting bottle to wet it enough to avoid dust.

Hopefully can trap these things and rid them from the place...

No problem B. Next time I catch ya at the track maybe you can give me some pointers. :D But you'll have to slow WAY down so you don't run me over.

Odor: after you've done the final clean up of the latrine and have allowed it to dry, pick up a large bottle of white vinegar. Pour the white vinegar onto all of the affected areas, if you need more then use more.

White vinegar is the unspoken secret in the janitorial industry. We'll sell you all the purdy smelling stuff with fancy titles 'cause we can charge you a 1000% mark up on it, but white vinegar is awesomeness.

"Heinz company spokesperson Michael Mullen references numerous studies to show that a straight 5 percent solution of vinegar—the kind you can buy in the supermarket—kills 99 percent of bacteria, 82 percent of mold, and 80 percent of germs (viruses). He noted that Heinz can’t claim on their packaging that vinegar is a disinfectant since the company has not registered it as a pesticide with the Environmental Protection Agency. However, it seems to be common knowledge in the industry that vinegar is powerfully antibacterial. Even the CBS news show “48 Hours” had a special years ago with Heloise reporting on tests from The Good Housekeeping Institute that showed this."

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/vinegar-kills-bacteria-mold-germs.html#ixzz1V2SIQt4W

IF you want to seal and kill the smell and bacteria going forward, check out the Killz sealant at home depot.

Will check it out. Thanks, Floundy! Sorry not to get to your call. I have been slammed to the point that unless it is work phone calls, I am a ghost. I am pretty much done cleaning and waiting to get things finalized and FINGERS CROSSED, we will close Friday.