Buying new AR need help

bowdog

I am thinking about purchasing a DPMS at Sharpes Shooting supply over by me in Reynoldsburg, they have them chambered in the 223/5.56 with 2 30 round clips, hard case and tactical scope for $679.99 brand new. Is there any of the gun guys on here that can do better? I am paying cash and if anyone has any feed back or knows where i can get a lower price please let me know. I would like to buy this week. Thank you. Also i know i am going to get some shit on buying a DPMS but i had a Colt that i sold my brother who is a police officer and now i am regretting it because the Rod & Gun i just joined is starting a Tuesday night tactical shooting league. Is there really any big differance between the DPMS and Colt as far as performance goes? A LEO that is friends with my brother swears by the DPMS?!?!?!?

I just recently bought a heavy barrel used colt target model for $895 no scope I am very happy with it. For the most part AR's are AR's. There are quite a few things you can do to increase performance and accuracy. I don't claim to be an expert ive not heard bad reviews of DPMS I have a bushmaster 16" AR also the 16" with the standard barrel doesn't compare to the colt with the heavy barrel. Just depends on what kind of shooting you plan on doing if you want a CQ gun get a short regular barrel, if you want to do long range go heavy longer barrel. Just my 2 cents. The only brand I have heard some bad reviews is the cheaper S&W.

Damn that is a good price for a BushMaster... Is it legal to have shipped to me or would i have to ship to a dealer and all that?

Shipped to the dealer! You can have an upper shipped directly to you as long as it isnt an NFA, but not a lower. The lower must go through FFL.

Thanks i will have to contact Dale, i am looking for something for the league i am joining, they do run and gun type tactical shoots and i think the heavy barrel would hinder me on this type of shoot, not looking for real long range more or less a 100yrds. I have some nicer rifles for longer shoots. Just want to be competitive.

the QA on both (dpms bushmaster) are not known as the best in the industry. Why not just pick up another colt and have a full mil spec rifle? If you are looking to save a few bucks, spikes tactical and S&W produce some very good rifles at the lower price range.

"the chart" comparing different AR manufactures

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82739

Yep a regular barrel will serve you well. I wasn't sure what type of league they were doing just throwing it out there.

Thanks its actually a combo tactical Rifle and pistol league based on speed and accuracy, 7 week league so was planning on shooting an AR and i have a competition BuckMark that was built by a retired Sheriff that i was going to use for the pistol portion.

the QA on both (dpms bushmaster) are not known as the best in the industry. Why not just pick up another colt and have a full mil spec rifle? If you are looking to save a few bucks, spikes tactical and S&W produce some very good rifles at the lower price range.

"the chart" comparing different AR manufactures

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82739

Thanks i will check these out too, not looking to go cheap i would rather spend the extra if it is worth it, i just never shot the Colt but once a year and my brother kept hounding me to sell it and sure enough as soon as i did i joined this club and now have a reason to go out and shoot again.

DPMS is ok. If I could get one the Smith and Wesson M&P Sport is a pretty nice rifle for about 600 bucks but none of my distributors have any. My price on the LMT SPM16 is $1035, or the Stag Model 1 for $861. If you want me to transfer though Id be glad too. I do have all the parts in stock to build one if you want to go that route.

My 2 cents on ARs, spend the money for one that has a gas piston vs spring. Loved my colt HB AR but years of military experience gave me plenty of malfunctions. My Sigarms 556 with a gas piston is more reliable.

And just a note... There is a difference in 556 and 223. 556 creates higher pressure and repeated use of 556 in a 223 can cause the barrel to explode. If a barrel is a true 556 it will normally be stamped with 5.56.

What gun club? Little Darby was doing 2 gun fun runs pistol/rifle or pistol/shotgun until they got shut down by court order over a dispute with Batelle.

Ps. Have you looked at the 9mm rifles? Last fun run we did, the guy with a 9mm rifle cleaned us guys with ARs and AKs at 150m, you lose long distance but he had less recoil, quicker back on target and a much quieter discharge. I was skeptical on a 9mm rifle but I was impressed with it.

Edited by Wadepenn
Addition

DPMS is ok. If I could get one the Smith and Wesson M&P Sport is a pretty nice rifle for about 600 bucks but none of my distributors have any. My price on the LMT SPM16 is $1035, or the Stag Model 1 for $861. If you want me to transfer though Id be glad too. I do have all the parts in stock to build one if you want to go that route.

nice price on the spm16, what is the going rate for an MRP CQB (DI version)?