Fatal crash on 71N

Simplysix

This is what really bothers me about being a rider in Columbus. I know that at this point I can trust myself. But there are times I'm terrified in a car where I'm reasonably well protected. Now, I hate to just blame Columbus - I've lived here now for almost 12 years and I've riden for much of that time. Technology has come a long way - there are cell phones in every pocket and iPods for music and whatnot. So is it Columbus or just modern life? Don't know. But I can say that drivers down here don't pay attention to anything at all and it's scary. And I grew up with Michigan drivers... am I right Ben?

This is exactly why I sold my street bike and have 0 plans on getting anything until I get the hell out of Franklin county. Don't get me wrong it happens all over, but all I rode in Cbus was 270 and 71. There are enough shitty drivers out there that it just isn't worth it.

Really a sad day and I hope that his family and friends are okay.

Don't know if anymore details have been released yet, but knowing the

area where this happened I can almost visualize it as going down like this...

Rider northbound, car entering northbound from greenlawn, car shoots

across four lanes to try and get over in far left to get onto 70W, car takes

out rider that they did not see because they changed lanes too quickly.

That's just a guess based on activity I see on that section of road. :(

EDIT: Nevermind, more details in the video on Ben's link, looks like bike

swerved around some debris into the path of the car.

Edited by SWing'R

If it is debris, I don't doubt it. The city highways look like Baghdad. If you had to pull over or swerve into the berms in a hurry, there are some places where you could be in big trouble. Then there are the semis going 70+ through the heart of town.

RIP passenger, and heal well rider.

I hate to be the one to say it first, but I dont think it was the drivers fault. It was whoever let the shit drop off their truck.

Perfect identical situation happened to me this morning. Cam-car, was hauling a wrecked car 70W to 71S, I tried to pass him before the exit because I was watching the bumper covers bounce at every bump. And I knew it was only a matter of time before it came off. Im on a cruiser not a rocket so, as I have my turn signal on and come up beside him, its seems he accelerates. I backed back down, and tucked in behind him. The last bump before the 71S ramp, the cover comes off the car. Straight into my path. Luckily I have backed off enough that I have time to watch the path of the cover, check for cars and swerve around.

I was going to call Cam-Car and let them know about the incident but let it go for the time being. This is the perfect example as to why drivers need to "secure" their loads. I cant believe I didnt call, because my main words would have been stating the point that Im on a bike and it could have possibly killed me. Then this happened, and whoever I talked to and the driver who would hopefully have been notified, could have though about this.

They WILL be my first call in the morning for sure.

And just to add quickly to the post above me. Im with you on the semis being able to drive in every lane and doing 70. Pisses me off, in a car, or on the bike. Something needs to be done, to put them back in the right lane and slow them done. Its actually on the next topic of conversation with my brother. I hope that being part of the AG office he can put me into touch with the right people.

Edited by Clifford Automotive

...This is the perfect example as to why drivers need to "secure" their loads.

Your story, and the incident that killed this rider are examples of why we

as riders need to make sure we give ourselves room to react to situations

that we will all at some point encounter.

Everytime I see a rider right on the ass of a car on the highway it makes

me cringe just knowing what could happen from a simple pothole that the

rider would never see in time.

Your story' date=' and the incident that killed this rider are examples of why we

as riders need to make sure we give ourselves room to react to situations

that we will all at some point encounter.

Everytime I see a rider right on the ass of a car on the highway it makes

me cringe just knowing what could happen from a simple pothole that the

rider would never see in time.[/quote']

Or a roadkill. That's my "distance" - far enough back to swerve comfortably around roadkill.

I hate to be the one to say it first, but I dont think it was the drivers fault. It was whoever let the shit drop off their truck.

Don't "hate to say it". If the accident was not the car's fault then it wasn't the car's fault, and it's not "bad" to say that. Just because we're on a motorcycle forum doens't mean we can't exhonorate cars when someone else is to blame. If the biker was at fault then there is no shame in saying that (Crew parking lot is a perfect example). Or maybe it's someone else, or maybe nobody is at fault. We can't let our affiliation as motorcyclists cloud our judgement or we won't learn from these accidents.

Details are still emerging.

I find it important to understand bike accidents that make the news lest I wind up as the next headline. We can all learn from this accident.