Shopping for a phone

buxnut

I am looking at smartphones for the wife (cant find one with a tasty sammich maker though:D) Currently she has a very cheap NO frills pay as you go phone that works as a phone, but doesn't have a camera, browser, etc. I am pretty much sold on the HTC EVO Shift 4g from sprint with the everything data plan but I have concerns with the slider keyboard (one of her requirements is that it has a qwerty keyboard) and its longevity. Anyone have any experience with this model or one like it? Anyone have any suggestions for a smart phone for a non-technical person?

Not much as far as suggestions, but I had to have one with a qwerty keyboard too, until I got one without...lol. I love the swype feature when emailing, texting or browsing on my Samsung Fascinate. The swype lets you drag your finger across the letters to make it sooooo much faster to type. Ask a dealer about it. Just my $.02

is your wife a tech nut, or is she just going to keep the base-settings applied?

for people who liek to mess with stuff, I vote Droid. for people who don't, iPhone 4 is tough to beat.

the touch-screen keyboard made me nervous as hell, but I have zero problems with it. You owe it to your wife to have her at least play with an iPhone 4.

is your wife a tech nut, or is she just going to keep the base-settings applied?

for people who liek to mess with stuff, I vote Droid. for people who don't, iPhone 4 is tough to beat.

the touch-screen keyboard made me nervous as hell, but I have zero problems with it. You owe it to your wife to have her at least play with an iPhone 4.

She is not but I am. the nuts and bolts of this phone will be more for me than her I have to admit. Still it needs to last and be somewhat user friendly for her sake. I hear good things about android and Its flexibility. And I just dont like the Apple way.

The 4g means nothing unless you live is a 4g area.

Radnor Aint a 4G area for sprint thats for sure.

I never liked the iPhone until I owned one. I was looking at Droids a bit before Verizon got the iPhone, but basically it had about 2 things I really wanted that the iPhone lacks, and then about 200 things I would never touch. Wasn't worth the change for me.

I have to say that the iPhone is stupid-simple. That alone is glowing praise. My 3G is paid for by work, so for free, it's awesome. My wife's iPhone 4 (I'm on AT&T, she's on Verizon) is nicer in some ways, but not enough that I feel the need rock the boat at work by asking for an upgrade.

Agree with the lack of a hard keyboard. Ever since I got a phone with only touch keys ive never looked back. As far as phones, the Iphone sounds like it would be good for her. Its not as open or easy to mod as android based phones but thats not what she needs. Iphone is pretty user friendly

Have her try out a touch screen keyboard.

swype is pretty cool but even without it the keyboards are pretty easy to use.

If you drop the requirement for a slide out keyboard you will get a lighter, slimmer phone with a bigger screen. Everyone I know who has the slideout keyboard says they hardly ever use that feature and wish they would have gotten the one without.

The phone improvements in the last few years are such that I see very little difference between any of the new droid phones. I would go with which ever of the new gen phones you can get the best deal on.

Not sure if 4G is worth much in a phone. That may change if you do much streaming video or use your phone as an access point. Otherwise most of the time I may use higher speed connections I have access to wifi.

Craig

I am looking at smartphones for the wife (cant find one with a tasty sammich maker though:D) Currently she has a very cheap NO frills pay as you go phone that works as a phone, but doesn't have a camera, browser, etc. I am pretty much sold on the HTC EVO Shift 4g from sprint with the everything data plan but I have concerns with the slider keyboard (one of her requirements is that it has a qwerty keyboard) and its longevity. Anyone have any experience with this model or one like it? Anyone have any suggestions for a smart phone for a non-technical person?

Don't get the shift.. its Shit.. shouldn't even have an EVO name attached to it. It does not have a front camera, the processor is slower then the regular evo. you still pay the $10 Premium data fee on it. so why not get a phone with premium data. The original EVO4g is better and can be had for cheap. or you can go EVO 3d. which is a step up. you could also wait for the Motorolla Photon, which has good specs as well. Sprints extra 10 dollar charge is no longer just for 4g phones, its for all smart phones now.

Also sprint is currently the only carrier with real Unlimited data. and you can Root your phone and use the HotSpot feature without paying some stupid extra 30 dollar Fee. AT&T and Verizon has been cracking down on this, which is stupid. If you pay for 2 gigs of data. who cares how you use your 2 gigs up.

Another Edit: the Nexus S is also a good choice to go with. I don't think sprint have any top end Android phones with keyboards at the moment, other then the Samsung Epic. which is glitchy and cheaply made.

Edited by Sen10nalz

Wife and I both have Samsung Fascinates, love them, only gripe is battery life

but I just remedied that problem almost completely by not using a "active" wallpaper

and using a standard image background.

The active background seemed to be the culprit in killing the battery very quickly.

It last me pretty much all day now instead of half a day like before.