What kind of maintenance & reliablity do these bikes...?

OhioBob

Hi, am wondering what kind of maintenance schedule & reliablity that these bikes for supermoto mostly street use give?

Yamaha WR450F

Honda XR450R

I know I could just go with the Husky 610 SM, and yes, I am thinking about it, but just wondering about these trial bikes.

Also, know the CRF450R would the the real blast, but true racing bike would take more time in the garage than on the street having fun, correct?

Thanks for your time.

OhioBob

Hi, am wondering what kind of maintenance schedule & reliablity that these bikes for supermoto mostly street use give?

Yamaha WR450F

Honda XR450R

I know I could just go with the Husky 610 SM, and yes, I am thinking about it, but just wondering about these trial bikes.

Also, know the CRF450R would the the real blast, but true racing bike would take more time in the garage than on the street having fun, correct?

Thanks for your time.

OhioBob

I think you mean trail bikes? Trial bikes don't have gas tanks. :lol:

The WR is a fast bike but has high maintance like a sports car. I heard they were going to switch the 450 to a fuel injected engine. That might make a big difference in the amount of engine work.

Between the two I'd still rather have the WR. :rolleyes: Might look into ktm also. The 525 is a monster.

The WR is a wide-ratio offroad bike.

The CRFR is a close-ratio motorcross bike.

Very different animals, engine wise...the WR450 has a 5-valve motor that's very rugged, but still a race-bred engine. The CRF450R would detonate quick if you ran it on the road at high revs for long periods, and it would be wrung the fuck out at highway speeds...weak ass valves on the CRF motors, IMHO. The CRFX is more similar to the WR450F, btw.

The Husky 610/630 is a better street bike in every way, but for pure SM action either the WR or CRF would probably kill it in acceleration.

All depends on your wants, I guess. The offroad bikes have small tanks, small oil resevoirs, they're brutal to do much highway on, and yes they'll demand a lot more work than a 610 would more than likely.

OK, talking about a bunch of different bikes here...

WR is a dependable and very reliable motor. Good amount of time on the valve adjustments and strong with little maintaining needed. Change the oil and keep fuel in it...

CRFs have always had valve adjustment issues. Especially intake valves... Get hard to start? Adjust the valves. A lot...

CRF is a bike that while awesome, has a lot more maintenance needed...

XR450 is a bullet proof machine that needs little to nothing to keep running. However, they are turds.

My feelings are to stay with the WR. Off Road bikes vs MX bikes for street use are a better choice as the internal gearing is different and can be better for street use. But, it all depends on what you want. True tard? Go with an MX platform...

By the way, the 525 is dead. The new 500 FI is the way to go!

OK, so the KTM 525 or 500, are they true sm or like the Husky 510 or 610? I guess I am wanting something that is flickable (nimble) and just plain crazy fun back and forth to work (2 miles), but more so on the weekends with all these incredible country roads that I am surrounded by. I would love to start a sm club around here too.

Really am leaning towards a Husky SM 610 or maybe the SMR 510, love the light weight specs of the 510. Just want something to release my hooligan side.

I know I have been watching too many sm Youtube videos. LOL

I could care less for touring or anything of that nature. Just want something that will be a blast on. You know, back into corners, wheelies, stoppies, drifting, etc.

I need to find a way to relieve all this work related stress before it kills me.

Edited by OhioBob